Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IP address/location of sender

Options
  • 31-01-2016 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to try pin down the location of a sender of an email to me?
    Possible maybe, I'm thinking not with my level of IT experience.

Essentially, I received a communication from a job I applied for, but through gmail, I thought it was suspicious due to it being gmail and not the company's name in the address, now I did apply for the job they were referring to but it seems odd, I got a similar enquiry before, and ended up going for an interview with a company.
    In this instance, they didn't follow up on their enquiry, and I'm trying to determine who may have actually sent the email and from where, in other words, was it genuine, and if not what was it all about? and why would a large company send out these enquiries using gmail?? I've considered it may have been an agency doing the initial assessment, but then why not bother to follow it up?
    The email was sent to was also a gmail account, so Im thinking, reporting it to gmail and see what they come up with, but then they would hardly be likely to tell me the IP address/location it was sent from?

Anyway I can access that? even just being gmail to gmail?

oddly enough, Ive googled and managed to locate an IP, but its got alpha characters in there too, maybe its obscured because its from gmail to gmail, location; not on this continent, not impossible, but it appears to be outside a large city in the middle of nowhere.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

I seem to have gotten something though, but it doesnt completely look like an IP address, its in the space where one should be under the "show original" information, although two different sites give two different locations, so maybe it useless information, although it appears that the sender wasnt local, maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

cerastes wrote: »
    I seem to have gotten something though, but it doesnt completely look like an IP address, its in the space where one should be under the "show original" information, although two different sites give two different locations, so maybe it useless information, although it appears that the sender wasnt local, maybe.

Just to add to the last comment, Gmail does strip the original IP. It does leave the last server it hit IP address I believe. Useless information though. Odd a for a large company to use an @gmail, you can use google for your mail while retaining your company domain so something does seem off.

Maybe it's IPv6? I had a quick look, an email I received from gmail is using IPv6

Received: from mail-wm0-x230.google.com (mail-wm0-x230.google.com. [2a00:1450:400c:c09::230])

Surprisingly this happened to me before, I asked the HR person why she responded to me via gmail and she had some excuse about not being able to access her email outside of the office. Very unprofessional.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

I'm looking to try pin down the location of a sender of an email to me?
    Possible maybe, I'm thinking not with my level of IT experience.

What about installing Bananatag and then giving a brief reply to the original email to get that "more information" that you are looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭anvilfour

Doylers wrote: »
    Just to add to the last comment, Gmail does strip the original IP. It does leave the last server it hit IP address I believe. Useless information though. Odd a for a large company to use an @gmail, you can use google for your mail while retaining your company domain so something does seem off.

Well spotted Doylers.. .a reputable company would fork out 15 Euro (or less!) for a domain name and e-mail of their own surely? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

anvilfour wrote: »
    Well spotted Doylers.. .a reputable company would fork out 15 Euro (or less!) for a domain name and e-mail of their own surely? :)

Means nothing really. Plenty of organisations use google apps so the last server you see will be a google one anyway.

Wait...are we on about headers or the actual address is @gmail.com

Advertisement