Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Touch site ads. Accidentally tapping all the time

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Is the site ad free for subscribers/mods?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I'd say it is for mods...why else push the issue back on to users?

Had a bit of a breakthrough myself. Due to the slow loading I am now clicking the wrong thread and users profiles, but not half as many ads. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Same is happening here... I really hope it's looked at soon. I can't read a thread or scroll through forums without clicking on an ad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

How do we get someone to look into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Tilly wrote: »

Feedback threa......oh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Gavinn

Tilly wrote: »

They're going to ignore the issue as they're making money off the site being horrific to use on mobile.

"Oh, ad views have shot way up? Ignore the plebs, they're not going anywhere and they'll shut up eventually."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Yeah, it's definitely intentional and very infuriating. What I've been doing recently and it has helped a lot is when you see an ad is about to appear scroll up and then flick the page down for fast scroll and then touch the screen once past the ad. You'll have to scroll back up a bit again to continue reading. Not a great workaround but a lot better than the alternative.

Is the site ad free for subscribers/mods?
    Yep, used to be a subscriber for 7 years and had no ads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Gavinn wrote: »
    They're going to ignore the issue as they're making money off the site being horrific to use on mobile.

"Oh, ad views have shot way up? Ignore the plebs, they're not going anywhere and they'll shut up eventually."

Someone already looked into it

Thread, it's pretty recent (May)
    Dav wrote: »
    No, they're Google ads. We have strict limitations about the types of ads we run, but there are 2 problems: 1) dickhead advertisers who deliberately mislabel their ads so they appear on site's that have specifically denied that sort of content and 2) Google gives absolutely zero fks about the sites serving the content and only care about taking more money in so never take action against the people who keep abusing the service.

In case it's not obvious, this stuff makes me furious because it's us that has to deal with it and it's our members who have to suffer their incompetence. Google is one of the biggest companies on the planet, they could fix this practically overnight if they wanted to.
    OK, here's the thing.

The next time people say "get an ad blocker" in response to any issues we have with advertising and display ads, I'm banning them from whatever forum they're saying it in, ok? Those ads pay my wages and the wages of my colleagues. To come along to our place of work and actively campaign against our ability to pay our bills, our rent, put food on our tables, etc is way out of order.
    The location of the ads is a factor in how they work. If we put them all at the bottom of the page, they'd only be worth a fraction of what we currently get.
    The smaller ads that were there before are no longer an option because they make zero money I'm afraid.

I've been giving some thought to this to. It's a pain in the arse to have to be facing this though since every fracking ad that Google serves has a "report" link on it, but the more you click it, the more you'll keep seeing that ad (or at least this has been my experience with that 500 ad and the numerous Russian Brides ones that keep repeating themselves for me).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

It's not really the content of the ads that's the issue. Or the location: I have no problem at all with either I appreciate boards has to make money. It's that when you are scrolling up and down the page the ad margins seem to be outside where they show on the page or that there is a lag. Either way there is something wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Just another possible workaround for this problem - whilst checking setting on my phone - (standard Android smart phone nothing fancy) in the accessibility section there's a touch and hold delay mine was default at short delay - reset it to medium and now I'm not opening the ads by mistake -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I really hope they implement that. Half of all add clicks are 'accidental'. That is nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

Glad to see its not just me, often when I try to swipe past an ad it clicks on it. Im using a nexus 5 and the adds are about half the screen. Some ads do appear to be more sensitive if thats possible, todays annoyance is hostelworld.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

There is this one add that redirects you to the App Store. I can't scroll down the page without clicking it.

Edit:
    The ads are making the site unbearable.
    I can't use it without clicking on the ads constantly and getting redirected to the App Store.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 487 ✭✭Chorus_suck

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Things seem to have improved ?
    The touchable area seems narrower on these ads and they're just not quite full screen width either which is a lot more tolerable!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Things seem to have improved ?
    The touchable area seems narrower on these ads and they're just not quite full screen width either which is a lot more tolerable!

This just today?

Because yesterday they were as bad as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Touch site is unusable for me today because of the bold chat ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Ugh keep clicking on them when scrolling down. Absolute pest of a thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

It's gotten so bad now I hear Rupert Murdoch is using it as a template for Sky TV ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

The Uber ad is melting my head. Every 5 minutes when I scroll past it, a window opens on Safari and my App Store launches. I actually already have Uber as well! Something needs to be done about this, I almost exclusively use the touch site but this is making it almost unusable and reading threads is now taking me a lot longer than before with having to close tabs and the App Store at least once per thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

The Uber ad is melting my head. Every 5 minutes when I scroll past it, a window opens on Safari and my App Store launches. I actually already have Uber as well! Something needs to be done about this, I almost exclusively use the touch site but this is making it almost unusable and reading threads is now taking me a lot longer than before with having to close tabs and the App Store at least once per thread.
    On a related topic, Uber is one particularly bad shíthole of a company, which would be good to see Boards boycott advertisements of, if it's possible to do that with the ad system:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uber_%28company%29#Threatening_journalists

In the Wiki article, it lists how they have been flouting competition laws all over the world, sabotaging competitors, personally threatening journalists critical of them, violating user privacy where high profile people using their services were tracked 'recreationally' without any real data protection guidelines (they also had a data 'breach' leaking a significant number of Uber drivers info) - they are getting banned in more and more countries now in Europe, mainly I believe for anticompetitive practices.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,246 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

This by a mile, it's head wrecking, if that ad is on the page I'm on it automatically launches and you don't need to touch or tap it. Please make it stop.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

If this Uber ad pops up again, can you please get the click through URL for it? We can't block specific Google ads without that I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

It comes up frequently for me so I'll pop the link in here ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

It seems to be all ads that are for (iphone) apps afais, keep forgetting to get the links, sorry. There were two others, a dining/food type one and.. something else..

They open on click down as opposed to click up, I dunno if that's different lingo for mobile speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭skirtgirl

Much nicer to see Irish dairy farmer ads than 500 plus ads. Will def be boycotting whatever rubbish the 500 plus ads were spamming. Not even good ads on their behalf. Irish dairy farmer ads are much more appealing which maybe doesn't say much for my taste ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Is the touch site down now? Keeps re-directing to mobile site for me.

Advertisement