Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

interview questions

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Alex Meier

spurious wrote: »
    And in some schools, Irish teachers have two levels in a class, plus the kids who don't do Irish at the back. The real world.

Teaching material which is common to both syllabi is not teaching two levels because it is not possible to teach two levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

spurious wrote: »
    And in some schools, Irish teachers have two levels in a class, plus the kids who don't do Irish at the back. The real world.

Three levels (Bonn, Gnáth & Ard Leibhéal)- and the ones who don't do it. Furthermore, in our school where there is an ideological opposition to streaming, there are c. 30 students in each Irish class.

It's nothing short of brazen that one teacher is expected to teach this range in each class. Learning "differentiation" in this reality is a theory of little relevance other than as a right-on, money-saving trite soundbite. When I taught English as a foreign language - i.e. with conversation at the heart of the class - there were 10 to 15 students in each class. As a policy, there was never more than 15 students so conversation and games were possible to facilitate - even with the foreign learners who did not want to be in English class (they had to attend class as a visa requirement).

For all the rants people have about the way Irish is taught, I have never heard anybody point out how both the size of classes and the range of students within them make it impossible to teach it as a living language of conversation and fun. Comparing the subject with subjects which had half the number of students (there were c. 15 students in our French class, which was optional) has always been specious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

gaiscioch wrote: »
    Comparing the subject with subjects which had half the number of students (there were c. 15 students in our French class, which was optional) has always been specious.

You have very lucky French teacher(s) with those numbers. I have never had a class with less than 25 and that is both levels.

Advertisement