Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*All* Carry-on Baggage charges Queries & Questions ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

So I'm flying with ryanair this Saturday. They say a baby buggy is free of charge.

What about a trike? Its lighter than a buggy so I think it should be fine too, but I'm not sure.

Is a trike like this: http://i.imgur.com/F2VzyEM.jpg

Did anyone bring such a trike for a Ryanair flight?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 SimplyBlue

jaymcg91 wrote: »
    Haha, no an airline will still have issued it, just through Tripsta. You can usually tell which from the first three digits of the ticket number.

232 is the first three numbers & google suggests that is Malaysian airlines so 30kg it is I guess! Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

I normally use a wheely but since I'll be pushing a buggy I need a lightweight backpack that fits Ryanair cabin measurements (55cm x 40cm x 20cm,)

I was checking out the Deuter Pace 26, which holds 26 litres but unfortunately I can't find this in stock anywhere.

http://www.deuter.com/DE/en/skitour/pace-26-3300115-15.html

Does anyone know of a similar capacity, good quality, backpack?

Cheers,

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

The Cabin Max backpack holds 44 litres.

I have one and have used it on Ryanair without any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

murfilein wrote: »
    So I'm flying with ryanair this Saturday. They say a baby buggy is free of charge.

What about a trike? Its lighter than a buggy so I think it should be fine too, but I'm not sure.

Is a trike like this: http://i.imgur.com/F2VzyEM.jpg

Did anyone bring such a trike for a Ryanair flight?

They won't count that as a buggy. That will be oversized baggage and you'll have to pay for that and check it at the desk not bring it through the airport. It's not about weight. It's about size and functionality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

Batgurl wrote: »
    They won't count that as a buggy. That will be oversized baggage and you'll have to pay for that and check it at the desk not bring it through the airport. It's not about weight. It's about size and functionality.

<mod snip>

the long handle is removable btw, could that make a difference?
    we brought a stroller once for a turkish airlines flight. we gave it to them as is, not folded together. we also got it back unfolded.

i also wrote an email to ryanair regarding that, lets see what they say...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

murfilein wrote: »
    we brought a stroller once for a turkish airlines flight. we gave it to them as is, not folded together. we also got it back unfolded.

That's nice.

Not sure what it has to do with your trike issue.

Ryanair will happily accept a stroller. But a trike is not a stroller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭nompere

I have a Cabin Max too - I can use it for up to a week away. Most useful piece of luggage I've ever bought. People keep borrowing it from me as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭skibum

Another vote for cabin max, never had any issues using them with Ryanair....

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dcmurphy94

Hi could someone help me. I tried to book a bag with ryanair a few days ago but i entered the wrong card details. Now ive an outstanding balance on my account and they wount let look at my manage flights because of it. It tells me to contact reservations immediately which i have tried 100 times but its not ringing ive tried emails they keep sending me auto replies so im goiing around in circles Ive tried every thing but nothings working. I cant check in or anything and my flights Tuesday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭fdevine

Batgurl wrote: »

Ryanair will now accept two pieces of child/baby equipment free of charge.

Normally a buggy would be one piece. After that they include car seats, travel cots and the likes.

Worth a shot with the trike. At best they'll carry it free. At worst you should only be charged €10.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Thanks all; I checked out the Cabin Max and while it definitely looks the business as far as getting as much possible from A to B, I wasn't sure about it as far as comfort and longevity went especially as will be doing a good bit of walking on this trip (and in future). Having seen a few recommendations (like here http://www.ridiculouslyextraordinary.com/how-to-pack-ultra-light/ and here http://globetrooper.com/notes/how-to-choose-a-backpack/) I went for the Deuter Futura 32:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00HOAW8EK/ref=pe_385721_51767431_TE_dp_1

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭annash

Hi All

Been trying to get clarification, when they are talking about the measurements for the cabin baggage, ie, 55x40x20, does that include the wheels and the handle on the case? I measured a case we have from the floor to the top of the case is 55cm, but then there is the handle on top of that, does that mean it would be oversize?

Thanks in advance, bit of a RyanAir newbie here!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 OffTheSideBar

Hi guys, hoping to get this ironed out so to speak here because I've got no aid through Ryanair directly - surprise surprise.

Traveling to London in a week. Have a bag checked on for the underhold, no problems there.

As for cabin bag, I was hoping to bring a laptop bag with my mac, and a pad and few things. Nothing major. Then I want to bring a suit with me too but I won't be able to fit it in the bag I've checked on. So can I bring a 1 suit in a suit bag on board with a hanger included? My reasoning being that the suit (if required at a point in the flight) could be compressed to a size smaller than cabin bag allowances...

Hope I'm making sense...

TL;DR - Can I take a suit in a suit bag on board?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭Gatica

annash wrote: »
    Hi All

Been trying to get clarification, when they are talking about the measurements for the cabin baggage, ie, 55x40x20, does that include the wheels and the handle on the case? I measured a case we have from the floor to the top of the case is 55cm, but then there is the handle on top of that, does that mean it would be oversize?

Thanks in advance, bit of a RyanAir newbie here!

As far as I'm aware the max sizes they quote are the max sizes including everything... The have those box frames in the airports to those dimensions, and your bag needs to fit into that frame. Now, since the frame needs the slot to put in the bag into it, that is kind of a loophole. So if your extra size is in the upper area of the frame, then you can get away with bringing something that sticks out a little; so really it depends on where that extra width is located on your bag and how the frame is laid out (i.e. widthways or lengthways). Hope that makes sense.
    However, I must say that Ryanair have loosened up their rules a bit and unless you're really taking the piss with an oversize bag, they usually don't make people check its size. Once the cabin starts getting full, they take the extra luggage into check-in for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 davesweets

Hi all,
    Was travelling on Ryanair recently and seeing as I was far back in the qeue they made me put my bag in the hold. I had no problem with this as we had to collect large bags at the other side anyway. I was just wondering if it was possible to give in your 10 kg hand luggage at the bag drop with the larger bags for free? After all its going in the hold either way and it would have saved me dragging it around the airport all morning.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I flew return with them to the canaries a few months ago and as travelling with a toddler had a large case to check in. On both legs they gave us the option of checking in the other bags free of charge which was really handy when minding a toddler in an airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I doubt it.
    It's not always going to be in the hold either way. This will only be for passengers near the end on v busy flights.
    They'll want as many passenger to take their carry on in the cabin so they can carry it out themselves.
    If more bags end up in the hold, it's more work for the baggage staff and more time ultimately for turn around.

I guess it's worth asking though!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They only have room for 90 of the wheelie bag things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

davesweets wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Was travelling on Ryanair recently and seeing as I was far back in the qeue they made me put my bag in the hold. I had no problem with this as we had to collect large bags at the other side anyway. I was just wondering if it was possible to give in your 10 kg hand luggage at the bag drop with the larger bags for free? After all its going in the hold either way and it would have saved me dragging it around the airport all morning.
    Thanks

I was coming back from Berlin with Aer Lingus the other day - we were one of the first to check in, but they still asked me if I'd like to but my cabin bag in the hold, as the flight was full. I think they were expecting that most people would have hand luggage - because THEY make it so difficult and expensive to do otherwise - so they wanted to fill the hold. I was very happy - until I realise that I had no jacket, and it was chilly on the plane!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,404 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

katydid wrote: »
    I was coming back from Berlin with Aer Lingus the other day - we were one of the first to check in, but they still asked me if I'd like to but my cabin bag in the hold, as the flight was full. I think they were expecting that most people would have hand luggage - because THEY make it so difficult and expensive to do otherwise - so they wanted to fill the hold. I was very happy - until I realise that I had no jacket, and it was chilly on the plane!

Yes it depends what you have in the bag, I wouldn't be happy to put a laptop, camera or anything valuable in a bag getting checked in to the hold.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Yes it depends what you have in the bag, I wouldn't be happy to put a laptop, camera or anything valuable in a bag getting checked in to the hold.

I just remembered my medication on time, it was in the front pocket. The ground staff agent was a bit iffy when I took it out of the bag, and said I'd have to go through security again (in Schoenefeld your bags go through an x-ray maching before you go to check in). I said in that case I wouldn't bother checking it in and she said it was ok. It was a packet of tablets...security can be sill sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Rhibee88

Hello

I know this is an old thread but on the off chance, has anyone does this recently? I'm planning to go to a festival in Spain with a small 2 man tent, obviously trying to save the euros so would like to not check anything in.

Has it relaxed at all regarding the tent pegs? Bearing in mind they are just the cheap L shaped ones that can be bent by hand!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,404 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I can't see them allowing it as it will take up lots of space in the overheads where other bags could be stored. You will not get the tent pegs through security at the airport if they are metal and I would say plastic pegs won't be allowed either as they will be sharp.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 aicushen

Has anyone transported a double buggy to Australia as part of their luggage allowance? I am looking for a means of protecting the buggy very well without any damage occurring.
    Anyone who has had this experience your advice would be welcomed
    There is also a carry cot to transport

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Moved from Aviation and Aircraft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Has anyone else noticed this?

I dont think i have seen them checking size or quantity of carry on bags people are taking within the past 6-8 months. I have noticed people getting on with a backpack as well as a small suitcase - in all cases i saw the second piece of luggage was far bigger than the amount they now allow i.e the small handbag.

Has anyone else noticed this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Yep, I think it coincided with their new 'customer friendly' attitude they were trying to adopt

Have taken around 10 Ryanair flights this year and not once have I seen anyone asked to check their hand luggage in the size guide, compared to 2 years ago when almost everybody in the queue would be asked.

Advertisement