Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studying biology

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mwah

Could someone help me and tell me if this is enough to write when explaining the light and dark stages. I dunno, cause its the one in Less stress more success but the one in the text book is much longer. ive learned this of.... sorry if anything is wrong in it!!

Light Stage One - Cyclic and light dependent. This occurs in the grana of the chloroplast. Light energy is trapped by the chlorophyll and passed to an electron. It is then passed to an electron carrier and then through a number of carries. Energy is released at each stage and used to form ATP. The electron is then passed back to the chlorophyll.

Light stage two - No Cyclic and light dependent. This occurs in the grana of the chloroplast. Light energy is trapped by the chlorophyll and passed to two electrons. Both electrons join with NADP. The NADP-- the causes the h20 to split and oxygen is released along with two electrons and 2 H+ ions. The electrons are then passed through carries, releasing energy to form ATP. The oxygen can be used in respiration or released as waste. Hydrogen atoms split when water is released reduce NADP to NADPH.

Dark Stage - light independent and occurs in stroma of chloroplast. The NADPH and ATP and used to reduce CO2 to glucose and starch. the ADP and NADP produced and reused in the light stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Mwah wrote: »
    Could someone help me and tell me if this is enough to write when explaining the light and dark stages. I dunno, cause its the one in Less stress more success but the one in the text book is much longer. ive learned this of.... sorry if anything is wrong in it!!

Light Stage One - Cyclic and light dependent. This occurs in the grana of the chloroplast. Light energy is trapped by the chlorophyll and passed to an electron. It is then passed to an electron carrier and then through a number of carries. Energy is released at each stage and used to form ATP. The electron is then passed back to the chlorophyll.

Light stage two - No Cyclic and light dependent. This occurs in the grana of the chloroplast. Light energy is trapped by the chlorophyll and passed to two electrons. Both electrons join with NADP. The NADP-- the causes the h20 to split and oxygen is released along with two electrons and 2 H+ ions. The electrons are then passed through carries, releasing energy to form ATP. The oxygen can be used in respiration or released as waste. Hydrogen atoms split when water is released reduce NADP to NADPH.

Dark Stage - light independent and occurs in stroma of chloroplast. The NADPH and ATP and used to reduce CO2 to glucose and starch. the ADP and NADP produced and reused in the light stage.

Go to the marking scheme for a question which asks about them and see what points they mention/how many they require!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭RocketFalls

zam wrote: »
    The Krebs Cycle is stage 2 of respiration, the Calvin Cycle refers to the dark stage in photosynthesis

Calvin-Benson Cycle, to be fair..
    I'm stuck on genetic crosses mainly.. Not that I'll get any courses what with failing maths and most likely English. But biology is as close as any subject will get to being my forte..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

my grinds teacher reccomends knowing unit 1 and 2 like the back of your hand. if you know 1 & 2 and all your experiments, you can get 85%!! im studying them, a few tipped experiments and then the ear,human reproduction, and one or 2 things more!

Advertisement