Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

maltese puppies!!!!!

Options
  • 14-10-2007 11:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

hi, can anyone help me, i'm looking for a maltese pup, at this stage i think they are like leprechauns, everyone has seen 1 but no one knows if they really exist:D:eek:confused::D!!!!!! please help, i dont want to have to pay crazy prices for a puppy i just want a pet, if anyone konws where to find 1 can you please let me know, thank you.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭andrawolf

There is a girl in belfast that breeds but they are 800 sterlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭yogidc26

http://www.irishdogs.ie/Find%20a%20Dog.htm Try here a lot of money for a dog I thing you would be better off with something else

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

The IKC- Irish Kennel club would have a list of reputable breeders they could put you in touch with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

i dont want to have to pay crazy prices for a puppy i just want a pet

why pay at all? Get yourself a rescue dog and give him a home .....

Edit: It's a lot more rewarding knowing you have saved a dog from either a life in kennels or the dreaded injection. The shelters are bursting with healthy adult dogs and pups too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

If you just want a pet then I'm sure you don't need a Maltese specifically, I don't think you'll have much luck finding a "cheap" Maltese, and if you do it's probably from a breeder who could care less about the dogs and who knows what problems they could have then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Also don't go near "malti-poos" or any of that "designer hybrid" rubbish. These dogs are not breeds, they are mongrels. They aren't "hybrids" either, because the parents are both the same species- dogs.

The only decent "designer hybrid" is the Labradoodle, which is a Labrador x Poodle. The Irish Guide Dogs use them as Poodles are good for people with allergies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ladyskyline

hi, thanks for all the replys, i have tried a few of your suggestions and think i've found one, i already have 2 fantastic rescue dogs, i love them to bits and they are fantastic with each other, and i know they will be very good with a new pup, my 2 dogs at the mo have me worn out from all the walking and playing they are very energetic, but would not part with them for the world, i know you prob think im mad looking for a maltese but the breed are fantastic and make great companions. thanks again. :D:D:D

they are also yappy wee nippers:D

a Yorkshire terrier would probably be better, very easy to get hold of and even a well bred one will probably be half the price of a Maltese. Maltese are only becoming popular recently, like Chihuahuas. I blame Paris Hilton!!! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

There are very few Maltese breeders in Ireland, and they tend to have very small litters too which is why it's so hard to find one. They've doubled in price in the last few years too.
    However, I have one and they are fabulous little dogs, very intelligent and great company so I feel they're worth every cent. If you really want one the IKC have a list of breeders.

• Advertisement

dizzy blonde what did you do to that poor dog it looks like a bishon. They have cut its coat to short.:eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

andrawolf wrote: »
    dizzy blonde what did you do to that poor dog it looks like a bishon. They have cut its coat to short.:eek:

Bite your tongue, he looks nothing like a Bichon, haha. I hate the long-haired cissy look on Maltese unless they're being 'shown'.
    He gets quite matted so we keep him trimmed - it's much more comfortable for him too.
    Would you prefer a bow in his hair? We're not into Maltese for the fluffy look, but for their nature. That photo doesn't do him justice - he's pretty damn cute :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 kerri tee

hey . i have a maltese :D shes just over a year now and weighs about 5lb :rolleyes:
    I got her off a breeder outside belfast and she is just BeAuTiFulll :p
    i love her to bits and i would reallyy recommend u buy one as soon as you find one becauase there worth it :D
    i keep her hair long . hard work but its worth it ;)

heres is some pictures of her

Tilly today on her own :

DSCF0305.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

tell me what you think

thanks

xkerrix

Tilly is beautiful, and you must have lots of patience to groom her. My Maltese Rocky would freak if I had to brush him so much.

i'm not usually a fan of fluffy small dogs but Kerri yours is beautiful and perfectly groomed!!!

just to let you know tillys owner is only 15 and if she can take the time to groom her dog, then adults should take note.I am a firm believer that if you get a dog it should be for all its breed traight. that is like me shaving my huskies. It would look stupid and they would freeze to death. the where born with that coat and as an owner ,I took on the respondsablity of looking after it when I bought them. There are too many people buying dogs with out reading up on them, then when they are working with them they can't cope with the work.Nice to see a dog look so good. Kerri you are doing a great job,Tilly is great.:D:D:D:D:D:D

Thanks for sharing your opinion andrawolf, however if I decide my dog is less stressed and has more freedom to run around the garden etc with a fluffy shorter cut then so be it.
    In MY opinion, many breeds have been bred to have traits which aren't necessarily good or healthy for them (such as Shar Pei with all the folds of skin over their eyes). I bet Maltese didn't necessarily have hair which never stopped growing originally!
    Maltese have many other wonderful traits which is why I got mine after many months of research. He suits our family perfectly.
    I admire kerri tee, her dog is beautiful and I admire her hard work. But the long-haired look is not for everyone and not all dogs have the right temperament for extensive grooming.
    I wouldn't dream of telling you that I feel Huskies have no place in a mild climate such as Ireland and that they should be working dogs. (That's not my opinion btw, but just imagine!):eek:

my huskies are working dogs and I would not advise as a pet. as for the climate have you been in ireland all summer? It is not that great. I don't live in africa where there are alot of siberians and america has one of the biggest breeding kennels in the world. I aways make sure my huskies have plenty of water to playing over the summer and plenty of shelter for the winter. you can have your own opinion and I can have mine. I think it looks stupid and I know it is in your dogs interest but how many people come up and say what is your dog cause I know if I passed you in the street I would have a clue I would be thinkin its a cross bred.:o

To be perfectly frank, andrawolf, I don't care what anybody thinks of my dog - I didn't buy him as any kind of status symbol.
    As long as he's happy and healthy that's what matters. As a mater of fact though, he has never been mistaken for a Bichon Frise or any other breed.
    The point I was making was that I wouldn't dream of telling you or anyone else how to manage their dog. We're all entitled to our opinions but pushing them on people isn't cool.
    Although I've always had dogs and love them, I wouldn't set myself up as any kind of expert.

Andrawolf, I agree that many people buy dogs without doing their research but Dizzyblonde has some very valid points. While Dizzyblonde keeps her Maltese with long hair she is completely right when she says she would cut the hair if she felt it would make the dog more comfortable. It is far better for a dog to have a short coat that is comfortable, than a long one that is too warm or gets matted too easily. To hell with the breed standard on this one. Fair enough this summer wasn't good but if we were to get a hot summer, would you rather long haired dogs be uncomfortable and possibly get heatstroke (which can kill them) just because their breed is supposed to have a long coat?

PS just because a dog is bred to withstand a certain temperature does not mean it will be able to do so. It depends on what the dog is used to. I bet if you took your huskies to Siberia they would have a harder time than the native huskies, because they are used to the Irish climate. Same as me when I went to California last summer. I was nearly passing out from the heat while the locals were going jogging up hills without a bother on them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 kerri tee

hey :D

i think the long haired look is nicer but thats my opinion and it is alot of hard work

so if you prefer the shorter look you'l like the dog no matter wat ;)

sooo whatever floats yer boat eh ! :):D

aw heres more pictures

Me and Tillyyyyyyy:

2.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

DSCF0324.jpg

My wee baby :rolleyes:

luv hurrr:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mariellerocks

kerri tee wrote: »
    hey . i have a maltese :D shes just over a year now and weighs about 5lb :rolleyes:
    i love her to bits and i would reallyy recommend u buy one as soon as you find one becauase there worth it :D

Tilly today on her own :

DSCF0305.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

tell me what you think

thanks

xkerrix
    hi kerri i was wondering if you could put me in touch with the breeder you got tilly from. she is the most beautiful little thing. i have a boy at home but we are tring to get another one in ireland. we brought the last one homw from england. thanks:o:o

Tilly today on her own :

DSCF0305.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

tell me what you think

thanks

xkerrix
    hi kerri could you send me the details of the breder you got tilly from? she is fab!!! also anyone who knows any details of breders for purebred maltese would be very grateful!!! i have tried the ikc. my email is marielleeganrocks@yahoo.co.uk. thanks

Maltese Club of Ireland
    Miss Rose Jacobs
    53 St. Peters Road, Walkinstown, Dublin 12.
    (4509450)

This lady will have the names of breeders, I got the name of my breeder from her. My breeder lives in Cabra in Dublin but she doesn't have puppies every year.
    Good luck with your search, Maltese are fantastic little dogs.

thanks i have tried that lady and she has none. it is very hard to get a purebred. i have seen quite a few and they are very big with long noses which tend to mean they have been mixed somewhere along the line. thanks for replying. i have tried so many people at this stage :mad: anyone who can help am very grateful :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ladyskyline

hi, well im still looking for my maltese puppy its getting stressful at this stage, but all good things come to those who wait, but if anyone knows a breeder who has one please please please let me know, im dying to have 1 of these gorgeous doggys!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

Tilly is a little beauty! But I agree with getting a rescue dog, you could probably find a maltese-lookalike.

I have a westie but I cut her hair before the ''summer'' because otherwise she gets too hot, it's not because of the maintenance though, I actually like brushing her so I'm quite sad to have to cut it off lol. but I let her tail grow long so I still have something to brush :P and then she gets hairy again during the autumn/winter because I don't trim her then :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Becky266

andrawolf wrote: »
    There is a girl in belfast that breeds but they are 800 sterlin.

Andrawolf have you any idea where abouts in Belfast this breeder is situated, or do you have a number or email for her?
    I am desperate to find a maltese puppy as they are good for allergy sufferers and im allergic to dogs :( so this is one of the few breeds i can get, i found a few breeders but they are in dublin, galway and cork, and i live in the north of ireland, so a breeder up here would be handier for me, which is why i would like some details to contact this breeder in belfast if you could get me some, it would be greatly appreciated :)
    Thankyou

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Becky266

Tilly today on her own :

DSCF0305.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

tell me what you think

thanks

xkerrix

Hi kerri.
    You say you got your gorgeous wee maltese off a breeder just outside belfast? Well i live just outside belfast and would love a matlese dog, would it be possible for you to give me a phone number of even an email address for this breeder outside belfast? If you could it would be greatly appreciated :) my e-mail is cutelilbex@hotmail.com
    Thankyou!!
    Becky

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 myloodles

She is so beautiful you are clearly brilliant with her well done, do you have contact details for the breeder? as I've being trying to find a Maltese for months.
    Best wishes

Tilly today on her own :

DSCF0305.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

tell me what you think

thanks

xkerrix

Advertisement