Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

India v England - 5 test series.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

India have done to England at Lord's what England did to them in Mumbai a few years ago - beat them on a pitch designed for the home team

Think it's the end for Prior - the selectors will not go back to Read or Foster both of whom have had enough chances at the highest level

It's time for Butler - England have nothing to lose playing Butler next week

Morgan coming back into the team as captain will be the joke of the year.... Cook , despite the fact he is dragging the team down with his batting and tactics , has 3 more tests to salvage his career as captain and batsman and the same is the case with Bell

Prior and Stokes to face the sack tomoro

As for India Kohli's form is the only worry...Ashwin comes in for Binny irrespective of what the pitch looks like in Southampton..Dhawan will get one more chance at the top....Dhoni's poor overseas form will be forgiven as long as he keeps winning!..... I didn't think I'd be saying this but after 50 odd test matches Ishanth Sharma has finally arrived!!!

booth70 wrote: »
    I didn't think I'd be saying this but after 50 odd test matches Ishanth Sharma has finally arrived!!!

Excellent article from Cricinfo on the trials and tribulations of Ishanth Sharma

The last line of the article sums up the situation well but it might as well have read......

"Today the joke was not just on England but on countless Indian fans (me included) who have ridiculed Ishanth Sharma" !!!!

One swallow does not a summer make but enjoy your day in the sun today......Well done son!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Prior has stood down from selection for the rest of the summer, for injury reasons. Could be the end of his test career if his replacement does well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

India have done to England at Lord's what England did to them in Mumbai a few years ago - beat them on a pitch designed for the home team

Think it's the end for Prior - the selectors will not go back to Read or Foster both of whom have had enough chances at the highest level

It's time for Butler - England have nothing to lose playing Butler next week

Morgan coming back into the team as captain will be the joke of the year.... Cook , despite the fact he is dragging the team down with his batting and tactics , has 3 more tests to salvage his career as captain and batsman and the same is the case with Bell

Prior and Stokes to face the sack tomoro

A long long time ago to be fair, Foster played his last test 12 years ago, Read was on a hiding to nothing in the previous 5-0 in Australia.

Anyways neither men's merits matter because they won't be brought back, but the fact that they are been considered by some highlights the lack of options England have.

Buttler I am cool with, I like him lots, will he do well, who knows, but may as well find out. Their is no other options really apart from Bairstow if the likes of Read and Foster are blacklisted.

George Dobell who doesn't do bad articles, nailed it with this line when talking about Moores.

Moores might also reflect on how it has come to pass that, in a nation with 18 first-class counties, all with well-financed academies, a Lions team and age-group teams at county and national level, that there are so few realistic options for an alternative captain, spinner or wicketkeeper.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england-v-india-2014/content/story/763005.html

That is the article itself, its a very good read indeed, if a little bleak for England. I mean people groan at the likes of Read, Foster, Morgan (CAPTAIN!), Kerrigan, Riley been considered and I understand totally, none of them would be what you would call guaranteed home runs, but what else is their?

On India, i think they deserve more credit, they batted first on a green top, only played ten players and won quite easily in the end.:P

Ishant deserves credit, but the star is Rahene, that was a fantastic innings, it was doing loads and if he had not batted so well they would have been steam rollled in this match. His innings really gave the momentum to India.

Changes for India?

Ashwin for Binny is the obvious one. His overseas record is poor, but he hasn't played that many matches overseas, so its unfair to give him up on yet and for a spinner he is quite young.

Also even if he bombs with the ball, his batting will compensate a lot.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Rjd2 wrote: »
    George Dobell who doesn't do bad articles, nailed it with this line when talking about Moores.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england-v-india-2014/content/story/763005.html

That is the article itself, its a very good read indeed, if a little bleak for England. I mean people groan at the likes of Read, Foster, Morgan (CAPTAIN!), Kerrigan, Riley been considered and I understand totally, none of them would be what you would call guaranteed home runs, but what else is their?

His articles have improved since last year when he thought the biggest achievement for England would be winning the Champions Trophy and not the Ashes. Only problem now is he is a KP apologist (possibly his internal source?), as he mentions him in this article and the famed 'meeting for opinions' too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Prior has stood down from selection for the rest of the summer, for injury reasons. Could be the end of his test career if his replacement does well.

He was so obviously struggling. Its a real shame if this is how he has to bow out to test cricket; on top form he was such a assett to that side. To have him coming in the lower middle order knowing he could smash big runs in double quick time gave England such an edge. He is going to take some replacing; Buttler seems the likely candidate but honestly Im not sure that England are going to have an easy time selecting the next keeper.

djimi wrote: »
    He was so obviously struggling. Its a real shame if this is how he has to bow out to test cricket; on top form he was such a assett to that side. To have him coming in the lower middle order knowing he could smash big runs in double quick time gave England such an edge. He is going to take some replacing; Buttler seems the likely candidate but honestly Im not sure that England are going to have an easy time selecting the next keeper.

Apparently he tore a quad and was injured BEFORE the summer began......makes his selection in the England team for the Sri Lanka series look even more bizarre.

I can understand if he was coming off a brilliant Ashes series in such a rich vein of form that England might have thought okay lets risk playing him even if he is injured given that he is so valuable ....but no this was a guy who was dropped from the team after a poor Ashes series , gets injured and still gets picked , drops clangers right thro the summer , makes no meaningful contributions with the bat , plays two horrible shots at Lords and still gets the right to 'step' down!

Good player at his best but England should have have moved on at the start of the summer like I said earlier ..... Hopefully the ECB don't go back to the likes of Read and Foster and pick Butler and give him more than the 2 tests they gave Bairstow to establish himself in the side!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Of all the members of that successful English team Prior would be one that I would have liked to go out on his own terms. He is only 32. Player of the year for them last year. Very easy to write off cricketers and we know how fast it can all turn around.

Has KP tweeted anything about it? Piers Morgan has I bet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Buttler has a way to go with his keeping, but he seems to be next in line you would think.

I can see the merits of Read tbh as a short term appointment, especially if they do come to their senses and get rid of Cook for a while. He isnt going to set the world alight but he can do a job behind the stumps and is an experienced captain at county level. If you think of Englands immediate short term objective as being just to remember how to win some games then perhaps throwing a less experienced player like Buttler into the firing line in a side that is seriously struggling and low on confidence might not be the best course of action this summer. Im also not sure that replacing one of the few senior players left in the side with another test rookie is going to help matters.

djimi wrote: »
    Buttler has a way to go with his keeping, but he seems to be next in line you would think.

I can see the merits of Read tbh as a short term appointment, especially if they do come to their senses and get rid of Cook for a while. He isnt going to set the world alight but he can do a job behind the stumps and is an experienced captain at county level. If you think of Englands immediate short term objective as being just to remember how to win some games then perhaps throwing a less experienced player like Buttler into the firing line in a side that is seriously struggling and low on confidence might not be the best course of action this summer. Im also not sure that replacing one of the few senior players left in the side with another test rookie is going to help matters.

Yeah I think I would agree with that. His batting has improved in the last few years and to be fair Fosters batting also has been fine in the last few years.

A few years ago when Butt got banned, Pakistan had the same issues with who to select as captain, Misbah was as left field as you could get, was considered by many to be a dull and backward step, Pakistan journalists wanted Malik, Hafeez, Umar, Umar etc. But he has done a fine job for them.

England have a very young team anyways so Read or Foster for a few years would not hurt them.

Anyways Buttler has been picked, so probably best to knock the Boards.ie Chris Read lovefest on the head.:pac:

Interesting to see how he does, hopefully well, a very exciting player to watch and seems like a nice lad.

• Advertisement

Gillespy wrote: »
    Of all the members of that successful English team Prior would be one that I would have liked to go out on his own terms. He is only 32. Player of the year for them last year. Very easy to write off cricketers and we know how fast it can all turn around.

Has KP tweeted anything about it? Piers Morgan has I bet

Piers hasn't stopped, usual deserter stuff. KP made a reference to Prior conceding more byes than runs scored Yesterday.

If Prior was injured he should not have been selected, and its shocking from the selectors that he was as he was a total passenger all summer.

However I will say if Buttler is Matthew Wade 2, then its possible he could come back next summer, like Haddin did for Australia.

I just had a look. What a mess. Captain Weasel is how he's referring to Cook. Thank god there's that video of Bret Lee peppering him to help me forget what I just read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,253 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

I'm not Cooks greatest fan and I enjoyed watching him (read England) struggle. Right now, after watching his press conference and others speculate about him, I really want him to have a big knock in the 3rd test.

Jadeja's level 2 was reduced to level 1. What are the chances of Jimmy's level 3 being reduced to level 2? I think that carries a 1 match ban?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,253 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

I just had a look. What a mess. Captain Weasel is how he's referring to Cook. Thank god there's that video of Bret Lee peppering him to help me forget what I just read.

Does PM have any connection with cricket? Aside from being a famous (said lightly) English person?

Does PM have any connection with cricket? Aside from being a famous (said lightly) English person?

Best mates with KP isn't he? The likes of Vaughan, Freddie etc all love having "banter" with him on twitter.

He is awful, just try to ignore his ramblings.

Cook in the nineties. Hopefully he sees this through now.

The old cliche, if you are a batsman play India a few times and you will come back into form:pac:

To be fair he has had a lot of luck really, no idea how such a gun fielder Jadeja put him down.

Pankaj Singh looks ok, Shami and Kumar a bit listless but in the later especially always a possibility with such a quick turn around in tests.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Cook in the nineties. Hopefully he sees this through now.

Jinxed him! :)

500 should be expected here, Kumar and Shami off color and loads of batting to come on flat enough pitch. India will be happy to take the draw if first session tomorrow does not produce wickets.

Anyways a little old with this, Indian fans especially if they have not seen it should enjoy this.

Dravid is great, genuinely can't find a reason why anyone would dislike him. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

England 384-4.

They need to kick on hard now for the next 2.5 hours and declare (assuming not all-out) with an hour left today (ideally on 550 or more) and try to get a couple of Indian wickets before the close. England need to win this match and have to take a chance on losing to improve their chance of winning. Not Cook's style, I know, but what's required.

Why even waste time sending those catches to the Third Umpire, they're always given not out. Looked ok to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Why even waste time sending those catches to the Third Umpire, they're always given not out. Looked ok to me.

Couldn't agree more. The umpires in tandem have the best view in the house and are best placed to make those decisions. It's accepted that TV replays just don't help in these cases.

Bad old days of 2011 for India at the moment. Lifeless bowlers, harmless spinner, terrible fielding, wicket keeping and an opener in worse nick than a Southampton ticket holder.

Going to be tough for them to survive from here, next test even if they do, mildly tempted to give Aaron for his pace alone a go for Shami. Never been impressed with him in limited overs as he is so wayward but reports are his ranji performances were encouraging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

If there was ever a time that Kohli needs to stand up and be counted...this is it!!

Kohli in a bit of a rut at the moment.

Scoreboard pressure here killing India, those drops and ineptitude when bowling and fielding now seriously hurting them.

• Advertisement

I think they are going to need Day 4 / Day 5 rain to save them here.

Bloody hell.

Even for a man who has made a career of getting out really softly after getting a start, that even for him is another level of stupidity that dismissal from Nohit.

Seriously, pick Ashwin next test at six, he will score as many runs as Binny and Nohit, and he can bowl. :mad:

Bloody hell.

Even for a man who has made a career of getting out really softly after getting a start, that even for him is another level of stupidity that dismissal from Nohit.

Seriously, pick Ashwin next test at six, he will score as many runs as Binny and Nohit, and he can bowl. :mad:

Ha Ha - I thought we might hear from you regarding Sharma's dismissal! What an absolute howler - right before tea as well. India giving England a chance here to win a Test that should really be a draw.

With India at 214-5, if England could get 2 more wickets (or better) in the final session, they would have a great chance to bowl India out quickly tomorrow, enforce the follow-on (India need 370) or declare quickly and bowl them out again in 4 sessions or so. Still see the draw as the most likely result (1 Indian batsman will surely get a big score) but India are making heavy weather of it!

Edit: Make that 217-6. England must go for the jugular now with 2 new batsmen - they've got to get into the tail-enders before the close of play. Great chance for England to win now!!

England will win this unless we get serious rain. India for three days have done very little right and a lot wrong! Pankaj was ok on day one and twas a nice if not substantial enough innings from Rahene. The rest though has been poor.

Bowling from Kumar and Shami was poor, catching awful which hurt them and some pretty lazy batting just as they were getting starts.

England to be fair have punished their ineptitude though, players who were given lives got serious scores and in between lazy batting, some pretty good bowling mainly from Broad.

I don't think they have turned into a bad team overnight nor have England become world beaters again, and their are two tests to come back, but they need to get that intensity back we seen in the previous matches if they don't want to lose this series.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

I don't think they have turned into a bad team overnight nor have England become world beaters again

This, a million times. Way too much is made these days of short-term changes in fortune.

• Advertisement

England will win this unless we get serious rain. India for three days have done very little right and a lot wrong! Pankaj was ok on day one and twas a nice if not substantial enough innings from Rahene. The rest though has been poor.

Bowling from Kumar and Shami was poor, catching awful which hurt them and some pretty lazy batting just as they were getting starts.

England to be fair have punished their ineptitude though, players who were given lives got serious scores and in between lazy batting, some pretty good bowling mainly from Broad.

I don't think they have turned into a bad team overnight nor have England become world beaters again, and their are two tests to come back, but they need to get that intensity back we seen in the previous matches if they don't want to lose this series.

I'd be very surprised if India save this match......they don't deserve to on the back of what was a very defensive decision to drop a bowler (even it was Binny) and play the extra batsman in Sharma.....its like 'we are 1-0 up....lets defend it for the rest of the series' ..... I will be willing to forgive that extra batsman Rohit Sharma if he plays with a bit more common sense second time around!

With Gambhir waiting in the wings , Dhawan is finished for the summer unless he performs a miracle in the second dig

Kohli looks in awful form and is a real worry now for India at no: 4......that India are one up in the series with absolutely zero contribution from Kohli is a testament to how well Vijay and Rahane have held the batting together

Dhoni scratching around as usual.....will he for once stand up in an away Test?!

Don't get me started on India's bowling and fielding this match

Dhoni has got rightfully slaughtered by many for his overseas performances in tests but to be fair he dug in quite well their, and applied himself more than most.

Broad and Anderson bowled well, but without wishing to diminish their efforts, Kohli, Rahene and Rohit got themselves out rather than been got out by quality bowling. Bit of a problem if that is your middle order.:P

Dhawan and Rohit? Its a tough one for India really, Dhawan got runs in NZ against a quality bowling attack by leaving everything but it is not working here. Gambhir was awful in his last few years overseas and I don't know if his first class returns have been enough to inspire.

Unless Rohit scores a century, they need a fifth bowler, their is very little break between tests and you could see Bhuvi looked tired first innings. Their is no guarantee that Ishant will be 100 per cent 4th test and Shami has been poor. You need a fifth bowler even if just to ease the workrate. He can bat as well.

England should be pleased of course, Broad and Anderson showed their class, Buttler may not be a Foster or Read with the gloves but he was sharp today especially with all the filth Jordan threw down. Jordan was poor, needs a good 2nd innings effort, because Stokes and Plunkett deserve to be recalled asap.

Woakes was a bit unlucky as well, looked ok today, faltered towards the end, but encouraging signs.

Moeen? Nine wickets in this series, and I thought it was England who can't play spin? Better to be lucky than good. :P

India all out for 330, 239 behind.

I can't believe England didn't enforce the follow-on after only spending 20 minutes getting the last 2 Indian wickets. The bowlers should be fresh and there's a bit of movement in the pitch. Either way, however, England should win the match now. Bat for a couple of hours, get an unassailable lead (450 should do) and then have 5 full sessions to bowl out the Indians - no excuse not to win now! The only fear I have is that Cook (Mr. Cagey) will keep batting too long and allow India to escape with a draw at 250-7 at the end of day 5.

byronbay2 wrote: »

I can't believe England didn't enforce the follow-on after only spending 20 minutes getting the last 2 Indian wickets. The bowlers should be fresh and there's a bit of movement in the pitch. Either way, however, England should win the match now. Bat for a couple of hours, get an unassailable lead (450 should do) and then have 5 full sessions to bowl out the Indians - no excuse not to win now! The only fear I have is that Cook (Mr. Cagey) will keep batting too long and allow India to escape with a draw at 250-7 at the end of day 5.

England can't score 200 runs in a session. They might have a lead of 400 with an hour to go to tea..and that should be enough.

Cant blame them for not enforcing the follow on.

Not surprised that they didn't enforce the follow-on. The seamers need more of a break, especially with Broad carrying a knock and Anderson putting in lots of overs. Jordan has been a passenger so far and they don't have a spinner who is going to bowl one end all day. It's a 5 test series so no point in flogging Broad and Anderson either. The one worry would obviously be that they bat too long and run out of time. Hopefully they score quickly and declare maybe an hour after lunch, with a lead of over 450 and 4.5 sessions to bowl India out again

Not surprised that they didn't enforce the follow-on. The seamers need more of a break, especially with Broad carrying a knock and Anderson putting in lots of overs. Jordan has been a passenger so far and they don't have a spinner who is going to bowl one end all day. It's a 5 test series so no point in flogging Broad and Anderson either. The one worry would obviously be that they bat too long and run out of time. Hopefully they score quickly and declare maybe an hour after lunch, with a lead of over 450 and 4.5 sessions to bowl India out again

Lets not forget Anderson could be suspended for the next test so they really need to be careful with Broad.

I don't think you need a 450 or so score though. 380 or so should be fine. Yes India are a good side, but England at home with five bowlers should fancy bowling them out again. Its an inexperienced Indian side let us not forget.

In the first test against Lanka, they felt they needed 390 to defend, eh no.

Lanka crawled just to 220 and they survived nine down.

I don't buy the "give the bowlers extra rest" theory. Presumably they have rested since 18.30 yesterday evening - how is an extra 3 or so hours going to make any difference to them?? I know it will be a shorter days bowling for them today but, obviously, it will be a longer day tomorrow. It would seem a better idea (to me) to bowl India out again asap and let the batsmen see what (if anything) they have to do to win the match. The bowlers can have a long rest as soon as the 10th Indian wicket falls!

Lets not forget Anderson could be suspended for the next test so they really need to be careful with Broad.

I don't think you need a 450 or so score though. 380 or so should be fine. Yes India are a good side, but England at home with five bowlers should fancy bowling them out again. Its an inexperienced Indian side let us not forget.

In the first test against Lanka, they felt they needed 390 to defend, eh no.

Lanka crawled just to 220 and they survived nine down.

Yeah you're probably right, anything around the 400 mark will be plenty. What will probably happen, going on their conservative history with declarations is they will bat past tea, putting up some ridiculous total while Jordan and Woakes crawl to their 50's, then declare with half an hour left to play today.

Yeah you're probably right, anything around the 400 mark will be plenty. What will probably happen, going on their conservative history with declarations is they will bat past tea, putting up some ridiculous total while Jordan and Woakes crawl to their 50's, then declare with half an hour left to play today.

Cook is cagey but not (I hope) stupid enough to wait that long! Ballance starting to hit now - what a superb player - and with England over 300 ahead already he will surely declare before tea with at least 400 to play with.

Cook is cagey but not (I hope) stupid enough to wait that long! Ballance starting to hit now - what a superb player - and with England over 300 ahead already he will surely declare before tea with at least 400 to play with.

They will surely declare before tea but there are plenty examples under Cook and Strauss where they have batted well past what was needed. An hour, or 90 mins after lunch should give them plenty runs IMO.

• Advertisement

They will surely declare before tea but there are plenty examples under Cook and Strauss where they have batted well past what was needed. An hour, or 90 mins after lunch should give them plenty runs IMO.

I am sure Cook will declare when he gets to a hundred or gets out trying to get there :pac:

370 plus is more than enough I reckon

should really be declaring now....409 ahead.

India then should give Dhawan licence ...if it works great else try and not be too aggressive.

Never mind personal landmarks, really no need to be batting now. Get them in for a few overs before lunch and nip one of them out.

Never mind personal landmarks, really no need to be batting now. Get them in for a few overs before lunch and nip one of them out.

you mean Tea :)

Washout wrote: »
    you mean Tea :)

oops!

:o

I am sure Cook will declare when he gets to a hundred or gets out trying to get there :pac:

370 plus is more than enough I reckon

Well done Alistair Cook......good to see him playing for England rather than for himself.....must have been tempting to get to the hundred and shut everyone up about his form for the next 2 years

As for India.....they have been hopeless and simply can't see them having the grit or determination to save this

Pity Sehwag isn't playing for them anymore....he would have come out swinging at this target....Dhawan probably needs to do that to get back into form:pac:

Over to Broad and Anderson

just one over at a time india ...come on!!

13/0 and Dhawan still at the crease

Wishful thinking but if India need inspiration then this is THAT match..... On a flat Chennai pitch I should hasten to add:pac:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/indveng/engine/match/361050.html

Remember Sehwag taking England apart on the 4th evening to set up that chase

For once, Cook declared right on time - 445 ahead at 15.15 in the afternoon and having just lost a wicket. Extra-long session now to get a couple of wickets and all day tomorrow on a deteriorating pitch. If only England had a top-class spinner, this would be a formality. As it is, Anderson and Broad will have to break their arses to get the job done but I hope they manage it.

Anyone else think India still have a chance to win this? Only need 3.3 runs per over and England scored 567-7 in the first innings! Should be a great finish to the match - I hope India go for it.

• Advertisement

disgraceful running between wickets there

Advertisement