Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flyng pet dog to Canada

Options
  • 13-01-2009 12:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi,

Myself and me girlfriend are emigrating to Vancouver. We need to fly our pet collie to Vancouver a few months ahead of us to my gf's family. A pet shipping company has quoted about €1250 to fly the unaccompanied pet. As money is tight; does anyone know a cheaper way of doing this?

We could take her to London and check her in as excess baggage but we need someone to fly with her.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭SCI

What all does that cost include? Who have you been in touch with?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

We could take her to London and check her in as excess baggage but we need someone to fly with her.

Are you sure you can do this?
    Does the dog have to go into quarantine when it gets there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LeahBaby

Not in Canada as long as your coming from a rabies free country.

Why can't you just wait and bring him with you when your going.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

It's not cheap to fly your dogs internationally. Get the full details of what that quote includes, but to be honest it doesn't seem to be that bad a quote. Also, beware of airlines telling you they can fly your animals and then going back on the booking (though that may not happen on single-leg flights. Happened to my mother in law shipping her dogs to Australia.)

Look into the pet passport, which shortens all quarantine requirements for dogs. Also see if your vet can recommend a freight company.

When dogs are shipped on a passenger plane, they go into the cargo hold. Cargo holds drop into minus temperatures when the plane is in the air. The pilot needs to turn on the heat in the hold if there is a live animal in there, and even then the hold isn't warm - it's just above freezing.

Ask the pet freight company for a full description of how the animal travels and then make a decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Captain Corelli

Thanks for all your info. The quote of 1250 includes shipping from ireland, overnight stay in an airport on the continent and onward shipping to Canada.

It does seem to be as good as it gets, in regard to shipping dogs internationally.

Cheers

• Advertisement

Thanks for all your info. The quote of 1250 includes shipping from ireland, overnight stay in an airport on the continent and onward shipping to Canada.

It does seem to be as good as it gets, in regard to shipping dogs internationally.

Cheers

I'd agree that's not a bad price if that it all in.

LeahBaby wrote: »
    Not in Canada as long as your coming from a rabies free country.

Why can't you just wait and bring him with you when your going.

Someone died of rabies a couple of weeks ago in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

SCI wrote: »
    Someone died of rabies a couple of weeks ago in Ireland.
    So what? They caught it by being bitten by a rabid dog in Africa IIRC.

Alun wrote: »
    So what? They caught it by being bitten by a rabid dog in Africa IIRC.

Yes I did read the sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

SCI wrote: »
    Yes I did read the sorry.

Unless she bit someone I think our status as a Rabies free country still stands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Captain Corelli, confirm that your animal will be fed and watered on the overnight stopover and ask precisely what happens during that time.

It's a good price besides that. Will you be at the airport in Canada to organise colletion of your animal? At what point do the freight company hand the animal off - to they hand it off to a main collection depot at the airport, or do they wait for you or someone authorised by you to collect it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 manofmoynalty

price depends on the size of your dog which dictates which box you use. the dimensions of this will be needed and the weight of the dog. this is how the price is calculated

Advertisement