Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peanut Butter:The King of Condiments?

Options
  • 03-08-2004 7:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭

Peanut butter has to be the most fantastic condiment ever concieved.

Its made its way into all sorts of food, from desserts, to main dishes (Satay) to sweets (Twix, Star Bars and no Peanut Butter M&M's).

But really, its good enough to eat straight from the jar.

Who here has eaten it off the spoon?

Do you eat peanut butter from the jar? 22 votes

Yes and I love it.
    0% 0 votes
    No and I never would
    68% 15 votes
    No, but I'm on my way to try it
    31% 7 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Peanut butter - I may have consumed a single jar in my entire life so far....not that I hate it or anything I just never think about it.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Tazz T

syke wrote:
    Peanut butter has to be the most fantastic condiment ever concieved.

You're in trouble once the Mustard patrol sees this. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

syke wrote:

Who here has eaten it off the spoon?

I'm eating it right now...

I thought I was the only one!

I used to get bullied for eating peanut butter when I was younger.

Although it'll never come close to mustard
    :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

i love eating peanut butter havnt had any in ages though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

When I was in 3rd / 4th class I used to eat it everyday with my lunch (I still eat it now of course)

The kid that sat next to me would cry (literally) from the sight of it every single day for that whole entire year! Ooooh it was grand

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

na its manky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

oh yum, i love peanut butter :D ..it's gorgeous when eaten straight from the jar, and i love it when it's all crunchy..mmm.......it's nice aswell in peanut butter cookies..and those chocolate cups with it inside....and also i picked up the very american habit of eating ''peanut butter and jelly(jam)'' and also spread on granny smith apples...peanut butter is one of my favourite foods. it is heavenly.... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Two Pieces of toast
    1st bit: Spread Mayo
    Add: Slice of ham
    Add: Thickly Sliced Tomato
    Add: Iceberg Lettuce
    Add: Cheese of Choice
    2nd bit of Toast: Crunchy Peanut Butter
    Eat
    Heaven

Yum, I'm going to make one right now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I ate peanut butter out of the jar until my mouth went dry. Then I learned the cunning tactic of spreading it on bread followed by a layer of apple jelly jam. Nyommy.

But yes, mustard is in a league all of its own. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭lilo moo

i love it. beats mustard hands down! peanut butter and jelly is great but even more wonderful: peanut butter and banana, as a sandwich or otherwise! crunchy works best, for me anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Amz wrote:
    me too! what was that all about?!!?
    and also spread on granny smith apples...
    :eek:

Sarky wrote:
    But yes, mustard is in a league all of its own.
    ah yes. Mustard is the courageous underdog that never gives up. The jack russell of condiments. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

damn fresh
    Can only imagine how people survived before it was created

Anyone try the other nut butters you can get in health food stores?
    The almond is pretty good, very expensive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Peanut wrote:
    Anyone try the other nut butters you can get in health food stores?

Yeah i got some one time in natures way on dame st called 'meridian' i think. it came in a huge 1kg bucket. The only ingredient was roasted nuts. no sugar, salt or artificial stuff. Lovely.

It was rock solid upon opening though. Had to mix it for 10 minutes, quite a workout.

It was around 7 or 8 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Yeah Meridian
    Pretty good value actually for the 1kg tub. You can get it in version with or without salt. First time I tried it the brother had bought it, tasted it and was like wtf is this sh*t, tried again a couple of months later and found it was in fact quite tasty (perhaps he had bought the no salt version).

Note comparative texture of foodstuffs in attached pic, the sunpat literally pales in comparison to the chunky goodness of the meridian offering.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

I love peanut butter me and the bird bought two jars of crunchy the day before yesterday. There's half a jar left. All spoon eaten. I feel dirty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

You dirty boy. Didn't you used to hate peanut butter? :P

Hey what brands do you lot like? I used to buy the Kelkin American-style crunchy all the time. However I noticed they use hydrogenated vegetable fat in it, so I'm trying the Sun-Pat crunchy brand now.

Teeth.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

DapperGent wrote:
    I feel dirty.

that's cos you are honey :D

anyway
    peanut butter is quite obviously not the king of condiments

why?
    because it does not have it's own forum

however
    mustard (which is the king) does:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=457

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭ThreadKiller

Had Reeces Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream on a recent trip stateside - Quite delish.

Toast & Peanut butter - incredible - double points for Batch heel

Here's something to make at the weekend...

Peanut Butter and Jelly Pizza from Chef Mickey's Disney's Contemporary Resort

Ingredients

1/4 oz quick-rising yeast
    1 1/2 teaspoon light brown sugar
    2 cups bread flour, plus extra for kneading
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 to 2 1/2 cups peanut butter
    1 cup grape jelly
    Clean squeeze bottle

Directions

In a large bowl combine the yeast, sugar and 1 cup of flour. Stir in 1 cup of warm water and let the mixture stand for 10 minutes. Add the salt, oil and a second cup of flour. Stir until dough pulls away from the side of the bowl. Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead 5 minutes, adding additional flour as necessary to keep the dough from sticking. Divide into 3 balls. Place the balls on the floured surface, cover with a dishtowel, let rest 10 to 15 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Flatten each dough ball into an 8 to 10 inch round with slight rim, formed by pinching the sides up. Place the rounds onto lightly oiled baking sheet and bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes.

Remove the pies from the oven and cover each with peanut butter. Put the jelly and 2 tablespoons of water into a clean squeeze bottle and shake until mixture is smooth. Start in the center of the pizza and move around and out toward the rim. Squeezing the jelly over the peanut butter in a swirl pattern. Drag a toothpick from the middle of the pie to the edges to create a flared effect shown above. Repeat on the other pies. Serve warm. Makes 3.

Dr_Teeth wrote:
    You dirty boy. Didn't you used to hate peanut butter? :P
    Bro, I was young and foolish. When I think of all those years of missed peanut buttery goodness I shed a tear or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Try:

Fresh Bread roll,
    spread chunky peanut butter liberally on one side,
    Philadelphia cream cheese on other side,
    thick slices of cheddar cheese,
    and worcester-sauce-crisps

• Advertisement

Beruthiel wrote:
    that's cos you are honey :D
    I know I know. I'm thinking of switching from crunchy to smooth so I can rub it all over myself.

And, you know, do stuff with it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

DapperGent wrote:
    And, you know, do stuff with it.

oh
    I wasn't aware that it was good for cleansing your skin..

*me bats eyelashes innocently *

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Originally Posted by Amz

me too! what was that all about?!!?

Beacuse it resembles faeces!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Its the ultimate in lazy high calorie food, ready chewed peanuts by the spoonful.
    Pringles go great with them, layer it in the middle of 2 crisps or stack them up. Another is sticking a desert spoon in and then sticking it in popcorn and eating them off the spoon. Dunk twix's straight in the jar.

Also makes great homemade bars for kids, smear it in between several icecream wafers and cover in chocolate.

Advertisement