Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel from Eastpoint to Phibsborough?

Options
  • 07-01-2016 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Good evening people!

I just recently moved to Dublin and started working at the Eastpoint Business park. I'm currently situated in Phibsborough close to the Mater hospital.

So far I've had to walk home from work, but I haven't really enjoyed it. I've tried multiple ways home, one up Poplar Row, then Clonliffe Road and turn left at Dorset Street, and today I tried going along the North Strand Road and then up North Circular Road, but both ways felt kinda dodgy. Maybe I'm just overthinking it, because nothing has happened yet as such, but I didn't feel especially safe when walking around those streets.

Is there any other way to get back home? Also tried taking the luas to Abbey Street and then walk from there, but that is too expensive and not necessarily better either...

Maybe I'm just overthinking it? Since I have no idea about how bad / good the areas there actually are, so maybe I have nothing to fear..

Kind regards!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,143 ✭✭✭plodder

I work in Eastpoint and have walked, jogged and cycled roughly that route occasionally and never had a problem. Having said that a foreign national colleague did once have someone try to grab his man bag. I'm not sure if that was a serious attempt at robbery though or some kind of gesture of non appreciation towards the bag. They aren't the greatest areas of the city, but during the day, pretty safe really. Cycling would probably be the best, quickest and obviously cheap (long term) way of doing it. If you don't have a bike, could you get one through work (tax free through cycle to work scheme)?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 shaizlebiz

Thanks for the answer! Yeah I've been looking into getting a used bike, seems like the best option to me as well at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,143 ✭✭✭plodder

As regards route, I think I'd take the direct route up on to Clonliffe road and it's really fine from there. Left on Dorset st. and then the path along the canal is actually quite nice.

Forgot to mention, there has been problems on occasion with bike theft in Eastpoint. If you get a bike, get yourself a couple of different kinds of locks to be safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭dublindiehard

I would walk but if you did want to take tram take it to the point which is nearest stop and shuttle bus to the park too

• Registered Users Posts: 5 shaizlebiz

Yeah I'll definitely get some locks...

I think I'll walk for now as well. Seeing as I haven't been murdered yet, the chances of it occuring should be somewhat low at least.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I've walked and cycled your route many times over the last 10 years and never had a single incident. Your right that some of those streets aren't the nicest looking areas, but as long as you take some obvious precautions you would be perfectly fine:

- Don't have your smart phone out in your hand (might be grabbed).
    - Don't walk along with headphones on being oblivious to what is going on around you.
    - Don't engage with the "locals"
    - Be confident and look like you know where you are.

To be honest advice common to anywhere in most European cities.

Cycling is definitely the best option, fast, cheap and least possibility for contact with the locals.

Plodders advice on getting decent bike locks (get U-Locks and learn how to use them correctly, through rare wheel and frame) pretty much applies to the whole of Dublin, Bike theft is unfortunately endemic in Dublin :(

No harm in being cautious, but no need to over think it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Live in around the same area, and my housemate also works in Eastpoint business park, the bike is literally your only direct option.

But with the Bike to work scheme, you can get some great savings and will cut your commute so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

+1 on cycling the route. The major advantage of cycling in Dublin is your journey times are consistently the same, give or take a few minutes. Commuting by bus or car in this city can often mean you have to leave earlier because of unpredictable delays and traffic jams. Walking also gives you consistent journey times of course but you'd cover that route a lot quicker on a bike, probably in under 20 minutes I'd guess.

Advertisement