Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letter of Recommendation from Professor !!!

Options
  • 30-12-2015 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I'm a SF student, and I'm looking to get a letter of recommendation from one of my professors fro a summer internship. The problem is that I barely know any of the professors. Its so difficult to get to know them when you're in such a large course. I'm wondering if anybody else has had experience in this situation, and if so, how they managed to get that damn reference.

Comments

Ask your tutor for a reference.

Or just ask any of your professors! They can only say no. Or if all else fails, go to the school office and ask for someone who can give you a reference there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

They'll have access to your grades in exams and assessments. That and a creative form of words, which they will be well used to, will be sufficient for what'll probably only be a three or four sentence letter.

Email your favourite/one you did best in/most likely to recognise you and simply ask. They get requests like this all the time.

Alternatively, ask your college tutor to do it. Same story.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭F.Grimes

Recently had the delightful experience of looking for two references for a MSc application from two TCD academics.

Really painful process.

Initially emailed professors, particularly focused on profs that I did well in their module. No replies.

Next tried my tutor, who initially refused to give me one, on account of not having any academic interaction with me. When I explained that I literally couldn't get anyone, he caved and begrudging wrote me one.

He suggested I get someone, in the school to write one. This was again a little arduous. Look out for people in charge of education, or undergrad teaching. They were the most willing to write me one.

Really wouldn't say its an easy thing to get, if you don't know any profs personally. Definitely give yourself at least one month to go about obtaining them. If I were doing it again, id be looking two months in advance of any deadline, just to be safe.

Hope this helps, others who like me, were looking at this thread for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

Yeah, this can be extremely awkward and difficult to arrange, but in my experience you will find the most help from the people you expect the least.

Try to identify a prof that taught you in a course where you did very well and/or is known to be a nice person. They will most likely help you out. You could always say you can draft the reference for them to look over and sign/edit as they see fit, to take some burden off them.

If you are a science student you may want to ask the head of your labs in SF, by then they will definitely know OF you at least :P

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

F.Grimes wrote: »
    Recently had the delightful experience of looking for two references for a MSc application from two TCD academics.

Really painful process.

Very surprised at that! When I needed references for an MSc I asked three lecturers and all three were very encouraging and nice about it. It might be because I'd finished my degree and they knew me better than if I were in SF. To be honest I didn't think they'd remember me!

It's a good idea to reach out to lecturers you've had personal interaction with, e.g., project supervisors or lecturers who supervised their own smaller tutorials. Also, giving them a bit about your background and experience can help them write you a good reference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭F.Grimes

Very surprised at that! When I needed references for an MSc I asked three lecturers and all three were very encouraging and nice about it. It might be because I'd finished my degree and they knew me better than if I were in SF. To be honest I didn't think they'd remember me!

It's a good idea to reach out to lecturers you've had personal interaction with, e.g., project supervisors or lecturers who supervised their own smaller tutorials. Also, giving them a bit about your background and experience can help them write you a good reference.

Yeah I was kind of surprised myself! was expecting it to be a lot easier process. I was JS also, but coming from a class of 195, so was hard to expect people to remember you! haha

Advertisement