Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishing..total newbie

Options
  • 20-11-2009 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭

Hope this is the right place for this thread..mods please feel free to move.

So I'm a total recent convert to fishing (just regular fishing in river stuff). I know the fishing season is now over but is there any place you can go fishing in the Dublin area now?

Also how do you go about getting a licence for the next season?

Thank you

LB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Tells

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭ladybirdirl

D'oh

thank you Tells...blonde moment;)

LB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

Ah it is a good question. I have a feeling many people here fish a bit. A few hunt. This is a fairly general subsection and I am fairly sure a bit of general fishing stuff is not too out of place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

cavedave wrote: »
    Ah it is a good question. I have a feeling many people here fish a bit. A few hunt. This is a fairly general subsection and I am fairly sure a bit of general fishing stuff is not too out of place.

I'm going to bite here and ask a silly question...
    Does anyone ever go fishing in caves? Some caves have flowing water moving through them - ever get any fish living in them? Know of cavers that go fishing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

fergalr

Does anyone ever go fishing in caves? Some caves have flowing water moving through them - ever get any fish living in them? Know of cavers that go fishing?

No not that I have heard.
    Yes you do occasionaly get fish in them. Doolin river cave had a white sea trout in it for years. It lost its pigment due to being in the dark is what i was told.
    Many cavers go fishing, and hunting, and climbing and hiking and canoeing etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 live to kayak

Be carefull if you plan on fishing in a cave and if you are new to the sport try some fish farms.

ps.i would not fish the canal its a big moral downer also if you do go to a fish farm dont use a normal rod on flyfishing lakes owners get very :mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

ps.i would not fish the canal its a big moral downer also if you do go to a fish farm dont use a normal rod on flyfishing lakes owners get very :mad:.

Not if you know what you are doing, canal fishing can be excellent.

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 live to kayak

But someone that is new might not know what thier doing

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Learning to fish involves much of catching nothing and much study. It's a lifetime learning curve. Getting out there and observing the behaviour of the fish is what you must do to get started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Buffy the bitch

Hope this is the right place for this thread..mods please feel free to move.

So I'm a total recent convert to fishing (just regular fishing in river stuff). I know the fishing season is now over but is there any place you can go fishing in the Dublin area now?

Also how do you go about getting a licence for the next season?

Thank you

LB

Maynooth fishery if you want to fly fish for nice size trout.

Are you asking for advice about foing course fishing next year?

• Advertisement
Advertisement