Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I have to contribute to a pension

Options
  • 20-03-2015 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

Iv started working for a voluntary hospital and a large part of my wage is going into a pension. The manager said it's compulsory but I have a chronic illness and don't really want to be paying into something I'll likely not benefit from. Does anyone know if they can continue to make me pay it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

In short, yes they can.

But if you explain, perhaps they would made an exception.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

In short, yes they can.

But if you explain, perhaps they would made an exception.

No they can't. Even if an occupational scheme is contributory a new employee isn't obliged to join it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I know nothing about voluntary hospitals but who exactly is paying your wages? If it's the HSE then asfaik there is no out for public servants on pension or pension levy

• Registered Users Posts: 25,725 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What does your employment contract say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

You should contact the Pensions Authority. I've found them very helpful in the past.

They will be able to advise you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement