Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difficult colleague

Options
  • 01-03-2015 11:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I started a new job full of energy and excitement. As grateful and happy as I am, I now feel demoralized and drained.

One colleague has hit me down. Knocking of my work, querying me over topics I have never been briefed on, addressing me as 'you' until I addressed it to name a few.

I want this to stop, but, obviously I don't want to be seen as disruptive. I am taking this baggage home with me.

Any advice or opinions greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭pollyannawins

ask him if he will accent to taking the issue up with a superior (i.e. don't go behind his back) claiming a desire to maintain your productivity (your value to the company)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 505down

I didn't include this in original post but he has displayed an unwillingness to help me out on some areas.

The attitude seems to be "teach yourself, that's how I did it".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

505down wrote: »
    I didn't include this in original post but he has displayed an unwillingness to help me out on some areas.

The attitude seems to be "teach yourself, that's how I did it".

Is he responcable for training you or is he your manager?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭pollyannawins

despite the face many put on it the onus that should be put on you in work is only to maintain your work ethic and productivity in a team envioronment not to make friends (though sometimes this requires a little humanity and sympathy with collegues. you should be forright that you productivity depends on the maintainence of certain give and takes . if he is your manager this should have at least some resonance for him (he is responcible for the productivity of his underlings after all). if he is a cooworker it is a slightly more complex issue of underlining that you want get the most out of work as possible: define your boundaries early and demonstrate the value of having so defined them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭berger89

he's jealous! new kid on the block, good potential. call his bluff

• Advertisement
Advertisement