Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Junior Cert Predictions Thread 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭IceCreamGirl

fascal treaty!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭tornados2111

can anyone please tell me the poems they've learned and the theme of the poem please?

What book are you using? No point in me posting what poems I'm doing if you don't have the book we are using.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Ciaraaaa wrote: »
    If you do higher level history in question 6 (political developments in Ireland) one of the accounts is meant to be The Civil rights movement in Northern Ireland. Good luck! :)

Beware of Northern Irish questions - they and the social history are generally badly answered. Only attempt either if you know your stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ciaraaaa

Pidge96 wrote: »
    Irish History won't come up it was all over the 2011 paper
    Geography's very topical so any notable weather events that happened this year might come up, don't ask me which ones :P Earthquakes were all over the news in 2011 and what came up?

You're an idiot, it comes up every year TWICE in Q6!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You're an idiot, it comes up every year TWICE in Q6!

I appreciate you're new here, but DO NOT call people here names.
    Do it again and you won't be posting here again.
    If you've nothing helpful to post, don't post at all.

• Advertisement

What book are you using? No point in me posting what poems I'm doing if you don't have the book we are using.

i dont have any books
    im just gonna get notes from google.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ciaraaaa

Lads, clam down about English. Just learn your quotes for your poetry, drama and your novel, that's what most marks are going for in each question.

Lads, clam down about English. Just learn your quotes for your poetry, drama and your novel, that's what most marks are going for in each question.

OK, now you are giving false information.
    Ciaraaaa banned for one month.

just found this site xD

http://acethejunior.com/

JUNIOR CERT. NOTES!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 TheDhoomGuy

just found this site xD

http://acethejunior.com/

JUNIOR CERT. NOTES!

This website is super. Check it out now:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 me.gusta

Another good website --> http://www.juniorcerttips.com
    Tells you the most important things to learn + is written by a student :D

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Sentid

Is it necessary to use quotes in your studied fiction? I have never been told to but it probably would make sense, except for the fact that the novel is so long quotes might be irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 bluemusic97

Prose:

Cairdeas (friendship) last came up in 2009. There is a good chance it will be there this year.

Loyalty, I think this is dílseacht (correct me if I'm wrong) has never come up, it s unlikely to be honest. However, love (similar to loyalty) comes up most years.

Poetry:

Love comes up ALMOST every year. It SHOULD be there this year, I hope it is!

Your back-up "family life" usually only comes up in the prose section (rarely, if ever in the poetry). I would recommend learning something different to this.

Hope this helps.

Sound out :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭Junokevv

Sentid wrote: »
    Is it necessary to use quotes in your studied fiction? I have never been told to but it probably would make sense, except for the fact that the novel is so long quotes might be irrelevant.

Yes, you need to have a fair few quotes for each studied section.

I'm planning on using about 6 maximum for each 30 mark piece.

do you think there will be a poem about animals?

can anyone please just give me the title of the poems and poet please
    i dont have my english book with me :/
    just the title and poet and i'll just google it up myself

Two poems by different poets that deal with the same topic

AND

two poems by the same poet that deal with different topics.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 76 ✭✭jd6920s

War poems - Base Details by Siegfried Sassoon and Dulce et Decorum est by Wilfred Owen .

Seamus Heaney - Mid Term Break and The Early Purges

Thats what I would use if that question came up :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

can anyone please just give me the title of the poems and poet please
    i dont have my english book with me :/
    just the title and poet and i'll just google it up myself

Two poems by different poets that deal with the same topic

AND

two poems by the same poet that deal with different topics.

You could also do:

Death: Funeral Blues by W.H. Auden, Dulce Et Decorum Est by Wilfred Owen

Also, if "Loss" comes up, Blackberry Picking by Heaney can work along with those two if you're stuck.

All the poems have lots of themes/ questions that can be answered with. E.g. poem with interesting title, poem with a change in emotions, love (if you're a good debater you can work ANYTHING into love :D)

It's all really about arguing why the poem is X , so even the two poems that are similar could be worked into an answer about two poems by the same poet that are different.

I personally pretend that I'm a posh philosopher when writing my answer :P (JK)

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow, get some sleep and drink lots of water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭lynchy101

Does anyone know what is due to come up for the novel question(To Kill A Mockingbird)?

QUESTION!

what if we dont have enough time to finish the paper?

• Advertisement

QUESTION!

what if we dont have enough time to finish the paper?

Nothing you can do then. Thats why you need to plan out the amount of time you spend on each question and even if you don't finish a question move onto the next one. What you don't want to happen is get 3 out of 4 sections done, your losing out on marks big time. You'd be better of doing all questions but not completed because it gives you higher marks for the base of the answer. For paper 1 go for something like 1 hour for personal writing and 30 mins for the rest of the sections and for paper 2 spend 50 mins on each sections. Remember, don't leave the exam early, use all of your time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭lynchy101

Does anyone else think the opening/ending question will come up for seen fiction?

Hasn't come up since 2005.

Also It will be the Reformation for Q5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

BTW, ignore everyone who leaves paper 2 early. They'll get C's and D's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭paddyzk

BTW, ignore everyone who leaves paper 2 early. They'll get C's and D's.

Leaving early in general is pretty stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭EatRowSleep

English HL:

For some reason im thinking key scence for studied drama (hasnt been since 2009 and before that 2002).. or why you'd recommend the play (which i cant seem to find at all in my papers so that means more than 10 years aago)

Im thinking love for studied poem (since 2004)

And opening for novel...

well thats what im hoping for :)

English HL:

For some reason im thinking key scence for studied drama (hasnt been since 2009 and before that 2002).. or why you'd recommend the play (which i cant seem to find at all in my papers so that means more than 10 years aago)

Im thinking love for studied poem (since 2004)

And opening for novel...

well thats what im hoping for :)

:D:D:D
    do you have any notes for the opening of To Kill a Mockingbird?

:D:D:D
    do you have any notes for the opening of To Kill a Mockingbird?

Sorry, didnt do that novel :)

Sorry, didnt do that novel :)

WHY NOT? HUH? WHY? :((((((((((((((

kidding. :)
    okay then
    good luck :)

The story takes place during three years of the Great Depression in the fictional "tired old town" of Maycomb, Alabama. It focuses on six-year-old Scout Finch, who lives with her older brother Jem and their widowed father Atticus, a middle-aged lawyer. Jem and Scout befriend a boy named Dill who visits Maycomb to stay with his aunt each summer. The three children are terrified of, and fascinated by, their neighbor, the reclusive "Boo" Radley. The adults of Maycomb are hesitant to talk about Boo and, for many years, few have seen him. The children feed each other's imagination with rumors about his appearance and reasons for remaining hidden, and they fantasize about how to get him out of his house. Following two summers of friendship with Dill, Scout and Jem find that someone is leaving them small gifts in a tree outside the Radley place. Several times, the mysterious Boo makes gestures of affection to the children, but, to their disappointment, never appears in person.

^
    would that be a good opening?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Elmoko

or....

The novel opens with the mention of a climatic event - Jem's broken arm. It will then return to investigate all the events which lead up to this particular climax.

The first chapter presents the background against which the action is to take place. Maycomb is a very quiet southern town, a town where things have continued in the same fashion for years and years. The fact is emphasized because soon an event will occur which will almost shatter the entire town. The quiet, lazy atmosphere, the desire for peace and stability evident in the town, contrasts with the bitter animosities which will arise over Mayella's charges against Tom Robinson.

We are also given our first understanding of Atticus Finch. We perceive that he is a man who is willing to leave the traditions of his family and take up the profession of law.

The Radley place is described in detail in the opening and will begin to assume increasing importance throughout the novel. Miss Lee is creating a certain atmosphere and tension connected with the house which will ultimately become the focal point of the children's activity.

do we have to put in quotes when we're writing about the opening of a novel?

do we have to put in quotes when we're writing about the opening of a novel?
    You have to use quotes for everything really :/
    I did 'To kill a mockingbird' and the quotes i have for the opening are:
    'When he was nearly thirteen, my brother Jem got his arm badly broken at the elbow'
    'There was nowhere to go.nothing to buy and no money to buy it with'
    'Atticus was 'related by blood or marriage to nearly everyone in Maycomb'
    'Inside the house lived a malevolent phantom'
    'Dill gave us the idea of making Boo come out'
    If you can understand and explain them,great! :D

thank you and good luck!! :D

what does this quote mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

thank you and good luck!! :D

what does this quote mean?

An evil ghost lived in the house.

Good luck

• Advertisement

I just finished the English paper 1 and just now I realise that for the personal writing essay I didn't indicate which title I chose. If you read the first 3 lines you will see that the essay is about friendshp. I was wondering if i lose marks for that or if I will just get 0 for it, its the biggest part of the exam so I really want to know, if anyone can help, please tell me if I will get 0 for it or not D:

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭graeme157

I just finished the English paper 1 and just now I realise that for the personal writing essay I didn't indicate which title I chose. If you read the first 3 lines you will see that the essay is about friendshp. I was wondering if i lose marks for that or if I will just get 0 for it, its the biggest part of the exam so I really want to know, if anyone can help, please tell me if I will get 0 for it or not D:

I done that too. Only realised after reading this. I done the speech though and I mentioned the title about 5 lines in and on the last line. Will there be any problems?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

graeme157 wrote: »
    I done that too. Only realised after reading this. I done the speech though and I mentioned the title about 5 lines in and on the last line. Will there be any problems?

Did you write the number of the essay you chose? I chose mistaken Identity and wrote number 4 in the margin.

No, thats the problem, I didn't write about the number or the title. D:

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Kanciapa

No, thats the problem, I didn't write about the number or the title. D:

Oh cr*p man, I dont know. Now you got me worried, I dont remember if I indicated which essay I chose!! I did the speech on young people's lifestyles, so Im sure the examiner will be able to guess, right? I mean my first line includes the words "I agree with the motion that young people lead unhealthy lifestyles" so as long as it's possible to guess, they wont take marks off. Examiners WANT to give you marks and if it's a detail like that.. dunno x_x Now you got me all worried!! I wont stop thinking about it for like, ever xD Im not sure if you absolutely HAVE to include it, maybe it's just for their convenience?

• Advertisement

for paper 1
    functional writing and media studies
    i chose question 2 on both which is about writing a response about internet access facility replacing books

is there any format to that or just write in paragraphs?

and for media studies i picked question 2 which like, im the editor.
    i've never done any of those in class so i have no idea what the format is like
    is there any format to that ?
    i just wrote in paragraphs :/

and for a 15m question i wrote half the page. my writing's a bit small so.... im just worried lol

i had fun doing paper 2 though :)
    the short story was funny.
    i said yes. yes. yes i said. yes.
    lol

for paper 1
    functional writing and media studies
    i chose question 2 on both which is about writing a response about internet access facility replacing books

is there any format to that or just write in paragraphs?

and for media studies i picked question 2 which like, im the editor.
    i've never done any of those in school so i have no idea what the format is like
    is there any format to that ?
    i just wrote in paragraphs :/

For the replacing books as far as i know you don't need anything, just the text, no dates nothing but the text, its what I did. Not sure about the media studies question, didn't do that one

Kanciapa wrote: »
    Oh cr*p man, I dont know. Now you got me worried, I dont remember if I indicated which essay I chose!! I did the speech on young people's lifestyles, so Im sure the examiner will be able to guess, right? I mean my first line includes the words "I agree with the motion that young people lead unhealthy lifestyles" so as long as it's possible to guess, they wont take marks off. Examiners WANT to give you marks and if it's a detail like that.. dunno x_x Now you got me all worried!! I wont stop thinking about it for like, ever xD Im not sure if you absolutely HAVE to include it, maybe it's just for their convenience?

The worst thing about is that we will never know. The examiner could not take away any marks, or could take away a good few. He could just get instructions to give 0 if its not indicated which question. The bad thing is that we will never know if say we get a D or a C we won't know what caused it. If we got 0 for it and still got the C thats fine but if you got marks for it but got a C its not so bad. That really sucks a lot, don't know what to do, I guess all we can do now is try and forget about it and hope for the best

My teacher corrects exams and says that a lot of students forget to put in the essay number. But she says if she knows what it is she'll correct it.If not she asks someone else (dunno who) ye could get 0 tho :/
    If you did the speech or the picture 1 you should be fine...
    I did the speech,easy!

I used the word friendship or friends at least 20 times, hope its obvious enough :\ hope I get the marks

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Cookiemonkey

what themes does an tozon have?

what tense is predicted for part of the HL paper 1 where you change tenses? People are saying modh con... but we've never done that in class... im kinda freaking out:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭0000879k

what tense is predicted for part of the HL paper 1 where you change tenses? People are saying modh con... but we've never done that in class... im kinda freaking out:eek:

I'd say it's that as that hasn't come up before.. try and learn it ..but it's only worth 10 marks..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭OwlYouNeed

We only did the modh con this week in class... It could come up but I really hope it doesn't... Learning the endings for the regular verbs at least isn't too difficult so you could look over them just to give yourself a chance if it does come. Do you need notes on the endings?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Anonymatronics

hello any predictions on geography plss :D thnxx

• Advertisement
Advertisement