Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xserve + non-Apple NAS devices

Options
  • 27-04-2006 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with using an xserve and non-Apple NAS devices?

I'm considering upgrading some of our IT systems, and I like the sound of the OS X server (also 75% of machines are macs on the network).

But apple's RAID array is mighty expensive, so I was thinking about getting some SNAP servers for extra storage, and keeping our existing Linux fileserver and use a single beefy Xserve to run as domain controllor / network login / fileshare login etc. to work with both the windows and mac machines.

Any info would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Do you already have the X-Serve?
    How much storage do you need?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

Nope no X-Serve yet - going to get a refurb from cancom in the UK - 1500 STG with unlimited client licenses...

1-2TB of storage total... we already have 1TB and it's 3/4 full at the moment, but growing very slowing... it took 3 years to get that amount of used space...

Nice to have lots of extra space though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭tonyboy247

Yes seems a good idea ...how many systems in total are on the network?
    as this will give a better feeling with relation to the raid setup/ cost effectiveness etc.... and if so why not slap the whole thing in one..anyway let me know cheers.

There are 14 client machines and 3 other servers (not including the fileserver) currently on the network.

I was thinking about putting the whole lot in one machine, but I like the idea of scability and having an onsite mirror of the data (i.e. 2x snap servers one used as a backup / restore machine), just incase the primary one goes down / someone deletes a file they didn't mean to...

I've also been told by a SNAP reseller that you can get addon modules for SNAP servers that are 1TB each and they are quite cheap too...

not sure on the frequency of your planning here so bear! with me ... snap is cool but one additional drive in the xserve sorts your life out and you dont spent the rest of the year speaking to whoever... and still works out cheaper no?...

• Advertisement

Not really - there are only 3 drive bays in an X-serve and I'd be running everything with RAID 5 stripe so with 3x500GB Hard-drives that's still 1TB but no room for expansion and no room in the X-serve for a Hot spare. Besides 500GB drives are mighty expensive...

I'd rather just let the x-serve act as domain controller etc. I guess my original question is kinda answered - do x-serves work well with other NAS devices like SNAP servers and the answer seems to be yes...

piggy back um .. problem solved .. anyway cancom r ok but you can cut a better deal on an xserve there refurb gear is sus in my opinion.

Advertisement