Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hustle: Do Con-Artists Operate In Ireland???

Options
  • 29-03-2006 5:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭

Hi,

I was watching Hustle recently and wondered if con-artists like the characters in the programme operate in real life. Does anyone have any stories of themselves or other people being victims of con-artists in Ireland. This topic includes both short cons (cons that take a few minutes and involve small cash amounts) and long cons (cons that take a no of days and involves large cash amounts).

Please don't make them up or over exagerate.

ANY STORIES, ANYONE!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

I work in a place,not sure if I should name it,but we sell confectionary.A new girl started about 2 weeks ago and she got burned by a con artist. I wasn't working at the time but I was looking the security tapes. This women comes in with her two kids,aged about 6-10,and comes up to the counter with a load of confectionary.

She says to the girl (not naming names!) that she bought all of this confectionary for a party,but the person who the party was for,had just died and she wanted to return it all. She pulls the staff member to the side and starts telling her the sob story,at the same time being real motherly to her kids. Obviously the rule is no receipt,no refund but the girl was new and apparantly this women was really convincing,she was a con-artist. She was given the money,which was about 30 euro.

The security tapes showed that this woman had come in empty handed with her kids,and picked up all the confectionary from the shelves without been seen (it was busy) and then made up the story,so basically she just conned her way into 30 quid from no where.

I didn't really care about the money,because it wasn't mine :p But I hate to see people get away with that kind of sh!t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

There's plenty of threads on here someplace about people buying what they thought were laptops but ended up being either 3 lts of milk or a few bricks in a bag. Slight of hand tricks, usually carried out by foreigners...preying on the one thing that we all have so uch of in the Ireland of the celtic tiger; greed.
    There'a con story about leather jackets too...forget the details but it's basically a money scam where you put money up front after buying one designer jacket for dirt cheap and then you get scammed for the price of 10 of em or something.

Advertisement