Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

hard drive issue.

• 12-02-2009 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi All

Im having trouble with my sony vaio laptop. When i switch it on it trys to boot up for a few seconds,then a blue screen appears and then it powers off, i dont even get the time to read anything on the blue screen. Hit F8 when booting u and i got into a recovery utility, it told me there was only 32m on the hd even tough theirs about 100g of info on hd.

is the hd knackered, i have loads of photos and coledge stuf i cant afford to loose.

Any help appreciated:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

The hard-drive could have failed, but its not really certain from the info there.

You don't want to use the recovery utility; it will overwrite all your info. But there may be a diagnostic utility (usually on a different F-key) which might narrow the problem down for you, let you know if it is a HDD-related problem or not.

Try repairing the installation first. Just put the Vista DVD in the drive and turn the computer on. It should take you to some menus etc, and you can find an option to 'repair the installation'. Its worth a shot, just in case the problem is just a corrupted mbr or something.

You could also try booting from a linux LiveCD (there is a unix/linux forum for more info) and see if it will let you explore the hard-drive. If it does, you should copy all your important info out onto a USB stick or USB HDD.

Or you could remove the hard-drive and use a caddy/enclosure to try and access it from another computer. Again, with a view to backing up your important stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 DeclanF

thanks for te reply voodoo child

unfortunatly sony vaio's do not come with a recovery cd.

i have done a bit more research on the net, from what i can gather it seems to be a vista problem , could not be too sure tough.
    i have sn a few posts where using a linux system to access the hard drive, recover the files i need and then reformat the hard-drive. if this works it would be great.

is their a tutorial or a url for doing this anywhere.

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

When a computer loads up it loads the BIOS first. By pressing [F2] during boot you should get into BIOS. Does this work?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 DeclanF

thanks for the replies
    yes i can get into the bios no problem.

i have done a bit more research and i think it could be vista issue. but not totally sure
    i think voodoo child could be on the right track with reads to accessing thr hd drive via a linux cd and recovering the files

Advertisement