Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MacBook Pro Optical Drive - Return?

• 04-05-2006 9:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭

Hey folks,

I received my new MBP the other day and am generally well impressed. It does seem however that my machine may have a defective superdrive - it simply does not read certain CD's (it spins the cd up, thinks about reading it, then pops it back out).

Take, for example, my World Of Warcraft CD. This works fine on all the other systems I own - the cd can be read fine. But when I went to install it on the MBP, it initially kept spitting the cd back out at me :/ Now it does read the CD, but when I'm trying to install the game, it is taking *hours* to actually copy across the files. Something is definitely amiss.

Consider evidence point 2. I have also installed Boot Camp on the MBP - no issues reading the XP install CD. I go to install a game (Civilization 4) from the DVD and it takes approx. 20 minutes to install. Thats far, far too long. When I go to run the game, it asks for the DVD to be in the drive (and it is). I know Boot Camp is beta and unsupported, but this behaviour is indicative of some failure with the superdrive.

I will be phoning Applecare this afternoon to see what they say about it, but I am curious as to the repair and refund policy Apple may have and what experiences board members have had regarding returns and such. If I am not satisfied with a repair, I will be asking for my money back. 2000 euro's is not trivial money for a defective machine.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭tonyboy247

As a new machine it will have a one year hardware warranty so if its duff which it sounds like it may be ..it gets fixed free of charge. There is telephone technical support for their OS only which is fair enough ..they will not be interested in any beta efforts or whatever software you have or wanna run.If you get grief speek to me.

Advertisement