Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking Bad meets Mythbusters.

Options
  • 03-11-2012 12:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2012/11/02/breaking-bad-takes-the-mythbusters-test

Throughout Breaking Bad's four and a half seasons on AMC, we've seen Walter White use fulminated mercury as a weapon, burn through zipcuffs with exposed wires and dispose of bodies with hydrofluoric acid. Now it's time to put his genius to the test.

According to The Wrap, Discovery's MythBusters is doing an all Breaking Bad-themed episode where hosts Jamie Hyneman and Adam Savage will be joined by BB's Aaron Paul and series creator Vince Gilligan.

At this point, none of the actual experiments have been announced, but fans of the show probably have some good guesses as to what kind of "Yah, science!" tests will be going down. No word either on when the episode will air.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I hate Mythbusters but this sounds great!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Think one thing is a cert to appear.

tumblr_m798zlHkxm1qa7etqo1_500.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6 AndChris

That sounds like good fun. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

ya the magnet truck
    also stealing chemicals from a train
    making the battery for the rv
    the "bomb" he threw at tuco
    the thermite he made

many many others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

omg I think I just got an erection

I though the best place to start would be trying to cook blue meth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

ya the magnet truck
    also stealing chemicals from a train
    making the battery for the rv
    the "bomb" he threw at tuco
    the thermite he made

And line up a load of kids and feed them Lillies of the Valley! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Would testing the ricin be a bit too dangerous? :O

What's so hard to believe about the train robbery?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Should recreate season 4 ending.

Can a man walk out from an explosion with half his head and face gone. Fix his tie and then drop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

omg I think I just got an erection

Gigglesnorted Miwadi out my nose at this!
    This looks excellent- I'm just getting into Breaking Bad and I love Mythbusters but I currently don't have Discovery at home. Might get my aunt to Sky+ it and see how it goes. Looks interesting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I was reading about what the episode will contain, spoilered for anyone that doesn't want to know:
    There will be two experiments conducted in the episode, both from Season 1 (one of which is the bathtub body). Instead of trying to fit more in they're leaving it open for the possibility of a sequel episode. A bit disappointing, I wanted to see some magnets :(

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Oscorp

When is it due to air?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I was reading about what the episode will contain, spoilered for anyone that doesn't want to know:
    There will be two experiments conducted in the episode, both from Season 1 (one of which is the bathtub body). Instead of trying to fit more in they're leaving it open for the possibility of a sequel episode. A bit disappointing, I wanted to see some magnets :(

They'll do more. They seem to do more and more specials these days so I can see another one of big things tested then a third with loads of smaller things tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

looder wrote: »
    That means we're not going to see it for another 4/5 months then :(
    Actually I bet it will be shown very close to season opener in July to capitalise on all the hype.

Something familiar parked on the bomb range in the latest episode :D

voLnrVC.jpg

Still no word yet on when the Breaking Bad episode will air, but will be soon.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I see the Breaking Bad special is due to air on July 10th

Chet T16 wrote: »
    I see the Breaking Bad special is due to air on July 10th
    12th June according to epguides.com and tvrage.com

Well Discovery Channel decided not to show it this week and according to the schedule, they're not going to show it next week either :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Well Discovery Channel decided not to show it this week and according to the schedule, they're not going to show it next week either :mad:
    Am guessing they'll leave it closer to the premiere of the second half of Season 5 - 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭colly_06

Due to air on August 12th!
    Myths include whether you can really dissolve a body — and your tub and bathroom floor — with hydrofluoric acid, and if a packet of mercury fulminate crystals can be used as grenade to blow up a room (the latter requires the creation of a bomb-throwing robot).

It's not that good imo.

Jesse hardly said a word until the very end. Just nodding away throughout.

I hope they dont bother with another, it didnt seem like they (The Mythbusters) were all that interested in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Not a massive fan of Mythbusters (which is like a bunch of college students with zero TV experience given a big budget), but this episode was okay. I think the results are
    forgivable on Vince Gilligan's part. Given how often TV shows and movies simply re-write the rules of science, the fact that they only exaggerated the dosages and effects for dramatic effect is actually pretty plausible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

So does anyone know what time it's airing?

Jamez735 wrote: »
    So does anyone know what time it's airing?
    It aired in Australia a few weeks ago, available to download it from usual places.

As for USA: http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/tv-schedule.htm

It aired in Australia a few weeks ago, available to download it from usual places.

As for USA: http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/tv-schedule.htm

Oh right, cheers, never checked.

A good episode, but I was still a little disappointed.

1. Because they never tested hydrofluoric acid on a fiberglass bath.
    If they used this, instead of their "special sauce" (which contained almost all hydrogen & oxygen) then initial reaction would have produced a lot less gas, meaning it would presumably have a longer lasting effect, instead of just fizzling out within an hour or two.

2. If they had bothered to crystallise the mercury fulminate then I believe it would have been a lot easier to detonate it, as opposed to in a powder form

Still, I enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

What's so hard to believe about the train robbery?
    the went on to be offered 15million for the haul, 5 each, if it was worth that I would have expected some better protection than a lock they picked in seconds, I would have thought all precursor chemicals might legally need better much protection.

Then there was the stopping of the train, they had it stopping right where they wanted, sure -they knew which carriage it was on and were measuring distance on the track, but still it seemed a bit much to have it stopping pretty much exactly where they wanted.

The mythbusters might have interviewed train people who might have dispelled things, like it might be routine that they have to check for possible theft when stopped. esp. if transporting chemicals in such demand

rubadub wrote: »
    the went on to be offered 15million for the haul, 5 each, if it was worth that I would have expected some better protection than a lock they picked in seconds, I would have thought all precursor chemicals might legally need better much protection.

Then there was the stopping of the train, they had it stopping right where they wanted, sure -they knew which carriage it was on and were measuring distance on the track, but still it seemed a bit much to have it stopping pretty much exactly where they wanted.

The mythbusters might have interviewed train people who might have dispelled things, like it might be routine that they have to check for possible theft when stopped. esp. if transporting chemicals in such demand
    The train was weighed when it left, and again when it arrived. The water would make up the difference, hence why Walt wouldnt pull the plug until he got the right numbers. That's the amount needed in order for the weight to remain the same and avoid being caught. Nobody would notice until they went to use the chemical, and would likely assume it was watered down to make the supplier more money.

It was also done in a dead zone, meaning the train was usually tracked. That was the only place it was safe to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    It was also done in a dead zone, meaning the train was usually tracked. That was the only place it was safe to do it.

how very convenient, it's like someone wrote it!

Advertisement