Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reaching out to the (slightly) older road cyclist

Options
  • 17-04-2014 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

A little questionnaire to start with –

Do you remember punk rock?

Do you remember when the Police were a top rock combo rather than just guys handing out penalty points?

Do you remember when you thought that Debbie Harry was one of the sexiest women you had ever seen?

Do you remember when Status Quo opened Live Aid with Rockin’ All Over The World?

Do you think that there has been no decent music since the 1980’s?

Do you embarrass your children with your lack of knowledge in relation to Facebook?

Have you actually managed to post something on Facebook and severely embarrassed your children as a result ?

Are you pregnant? Sorry – do you worry about your daughter getting pregnant?

When you look at the cycling magazines do you think to yourself that it must be great to be young?

When you look at tall those skinny young lads racing past you do you think to yourself – “Enjoy it while you can lads I used to be your age once”.

If you are reading this and have answered yes to any of the above questions then you are probably, like me, the enthusiastic owner of a road bike who is on the wrong side of 50 and thinks that while shaved legs on a cyclist might be the thing to do you are just a little too old and sensible to be even thinking about going down that particular road. Anyway - if you did shave your legs you would only embarrass your kids even further!

I have been sporty all my life and have come to road biking only in the last few years. I think I am a little old to be classified as a MaMiL but then I am not sure what exactly middle age is any more. Depending on my reading material middle age seems to start anywhere between 35 and 45 but hey ho I still feel 25 in my mind!

Although I am undoubtedly overweight I can do a good 60K on a spin and probably more if pushed. I completed the Wicklow 100 and Ring of Kerry last year with the intention of doing both events again this year. I am not a great climber but I make allowances for myself in that department.

I live on the South side and have neither the time nor inclination to commit to joining a club but I am interested in meeting with other cyclists of a near or similar vintage for cycling fun and frolicks. I have done the whole running thing and frankly my knees and other bits of my anatomy required for running are just a little bit knackered from the pounding - but cycling suits me perfectly. Despite my belly I can wear just as much lycra as the next guy!

Is there anybody else out there who feels the same and matches my kind of profile? Maybe we could organize something.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭QueensGael

Some of these events might be of interest
    http://ivca.info/ivca2014/leisurecal14.shtml

They're really well run and good craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭idiottje

Start a club on meetup.com. Though the DublinFreeWheelers or Southside Easy Riders might suit your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

I live on the South side and have neither the time nor inclination to commit to joining a club but I am interested in meeting with other cyclists of a near or similar vintage for cycling fun and frolicks. I have done the whole running thing and frankly my knees and other bits of my anatomy required for running are just a little bit knackered from the pounding - but cycling suits me perfectly. Despite my belly I can wear just as much lycra as the next guy!

Is there anybody else out there who feels the same and matches my kind of profile? Maybe we could organize something.

Unfortunately I meet all your criteria!

Don't know about your "not having the time or inclination to join a club" comment though. Reads to me that what you are looking for is exactly what any decent club will facilitate! Enjoy you bike what ever you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Don't rule out joining a local Club. You'll find plenty of people of a similar vintage and older.

Edit - MichaelD got in there first

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

daragh_ wrote: »
    Don't rule out joining a local Club. You'll find plenty of people of a similar vintage and older.

Edit - MichaelD got in there first

Great minds blah, blah, blah!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭RV

Grabbed a bike myself on the way home from Woodstock about 7 years ago. I just showed up and joined all the sad b*astards in my local cycling club. Joined the happy ones too. And some that are not b*astards; all of life was there (but the sad ones were a minority). And I love it. I shouldn't have left it so long to join. These days we have the wind instead of the flowers in our hair.
    Mid 50-s now and suddenly cycling competitively when I thought I had missed that stage by a few decades. Come on and join the fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Jabel

Do you remember punk rock?

Do you remember when the Police were a top rock combo rather than just guys handing out penalty points?

Do you remember when you thought that Debbie Harry was one of the sexiest women you had ever seen?

Do you remember when Status Quo opened Live Aid with Rockin’ All Over The World?

Do you think that there has been no decent music since the 1980’s?

Do you embarrass your children with your lack of knowledge in relation to Facebook?

Have you actually managed to post something on Facebook and severely embarrassed your children as a result ?

Are you pregnant? Sorry – do you worry about your daughter getting pregnant?

When you look at the cycling magazines do you think to yourself that it must be great to be young?

When you look at tall those skinny young lads racing past you do you think to yourself – “Enjoy it while you can lads I used to be your age once”.

If you are reading this and have answered yes to any of the above questions then you are probably, like me, the enthusiastic owner of a road bike who is on the wrong side of 50 and thinks that while shaved legs on a cyclist might be the thing to do you are just a little too old and sensible to be even thinking about going down that particular road. Anyway - if you did shave your legs you would only embarrass your kids even further!

I have been sporty all my life and have come to road biking only in the last few years. I think I am a little old to be classified as a MaMiL but then I am not sure what exactly middle age is any more. Depending on my reading material middle age seems to start anywhere between 35 and 45 but hey ho I still feel 25 in my mind!

Although I am undoubtedly overweight I can do a good 60K on a spin and probably more if pushed. I completed the Wicklow 100 and Ring of Kerry last year with the intention of doing both events again this year. I am not a great climber but I make allowances for myself in that department.

Lol, you sound like my twin (well about 5-7 years apart, Im mid 40's)
    Myself and a buddy or two are doing Rathfarnham to Enniskerry on Saturday morning if you're interested, good craic and a scone to boot!
    PM me for details, we'd welcome another body.

Cheers
    J

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

I can answer yes to all them questions and go cycling with a 32 year old Iron-man who is 1 fit chap but he cannot drop me on the way up to sally gap no matter how hard he tries .
    Now on the flat he is an animal I could never keep up with him I shave my legs because I had a bad crash and broke my pelvis and had mad road rash (Pure pain)you should join a club and forget about being 50 something chap when you are in your 80s its time to think about taking it easy but until then cycle like a mad man .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Yes to all the above, yes to a ''little'' overweight,

Didn't see CB radio, dukes of hazzards, knightrider or holidays in Tramore on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭joxerjohn

Great opening post and also I answer "yes" to most of the above except

The music wasn't that great in the 80's either, remember WHAM !

I would recommend you don't reject the joining a club route before you give it a try, if you find the right group in a club you will get a bit of social banter, the cycling and a reason to show up hail rain or shine. Most clubs will allow you a few spins as a guest to see if you like it.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,487 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Do you remember punk rock? Saw Tenpole Tudor at Manchester University in 1980

Do you remember when the Police were a top rock combo rather than just guys handing out penalty points? Roxanne - you don't have to put on the red light...

Do you remember when you thought that Debbie Harry was one of the sexiest women you haYesd ever seen? Yes

Do you remember when Status Quo opened Live Aid with Rockin’ All Over The World? Yep - I was standing just over 20 metres away from the stage - took over 500 photos that day

Do you think that there has been no decent music since the early 1980’s?
    Particularly liked Barbarella's obsession with Duran Duran ...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Kerry Gooner

MichealD wrote: »
    Unfortunately I meet all your criteria!

Don't know about your "not having the time or inclination to join a club" comment though. Reads to me that what you are looking for is exactly what any decent club will facilitate! Enjoy you bike what ever you do.

Was that you I saw riding a circuit of the Phoenix park!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭sham2

Do you remember when Status Quo opened Live Aid with Rockin’ All Over The World? Yep - I was standing just over 20 metres away from the stage - took over 500 photos that day
    :eek:

Whoa there Beasty. Any chance we could see some of those photos in another post? Sorry OP for side tracking.

Back on topic.
    BTW you are me. Wonky knees and all. Don't have time for a club either at the moment. Go out with a mate now and then. Enough for me.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,487 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

sham2 wrote: »
    :eek:

Whoa there Beasty. Any chance we could see some of those photos in another post? Sorry OP for side tracking.
    There are a handful of them in this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

remember most of them but you forgot to mention the freaky foot ice cream!

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

I'm in the same OAP grouping, hoping to get out more as soon as new bike arrives and do a few sportives etc

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Fireball XL5

Folks, thanks for all the replies some of which I will respond to later.

In the meantime for the really nostalgic among you I can also remember -

Seeing JFK at the junction of Collins Avenue/Swords Road on his way back to the airport and thinking that I had never seen anybody as brown in my short life !

Fireball XL5

The Monkees - here we come.....

Watching Adam West and Burt whatever his name was on TV and looking forward to tuning in to at the same bat time on the same bat channel for the next episode

The Banana Splits....one banana, two banana, three banana more......

Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons

Getting one and three from my parents every Saturday afternoon to go to the Killester cinema ...one shilling in, two pence for an ice pop and a penny for a penny bar

Being refused access to the Killer to see the Blue Max for being too young

Joe 90

The Prisoner ......I am not a number. What was that all about?

Abba the first time around (just as bad then as they are now)

Being absolutely blown away by David Bowie singing Starman on Top of the Pops and thinking to myself that this guy is just fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Then: Dathaí Lacha.
    Later: Slam dancing to The Dead Kennedys.
    Last w/end: Kare Tour d'Foothills 120k
    BMI just the right side of 25
    carpe diam

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Fireball XL5

I appreciate all of the advices about joining a club but I'm not really into that right now. I am not so sure that club cycling is for everyone and having been in other types of clubs for many years I have had enough of them for the moment.

Thanks to QueensGael for the link to the IVCA - will certainly give that some thought.

Thanks also to idiottje - had never previously heard of any of those people.

PM sent to Jabel.

Looks like I am not the only oldie looking for cycling buddies after all!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Beasty wrote: »
    Particularly liked Barbarella's ....
    JF at her sexiest!

• Advertisement

Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons
    Captain Scarlet is one of the reasons I ultimately ended up with a Man U season ticket....

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭lismore7

This post brings back memories....The Clangers, Flock of Seagulls, wearing badges with your favourite bands on them, watching Queen at Slane, with In Tua Nua, Bangles and Chris Rea as support...recording Live Aid on VHS video cassette, wondering why the BBC banned Frankie goes to Hollywood's "Relax", big white baggy "Frankie says Relax" T shirts, watching Cry Before Dawn in the Blue Dragon out side Fermoy, my first bike...an Eddy Merckx racer (so wish I still had that now) wearing double breasted shirts, black velvet pointy shoes and long black trench coats....
    Yes ..I am 47 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

lismore7 wrote: »
    This post brings back memories....
    Waiting by the 'wireless' for the sports bulletin after the 6 O'Clock news to hear how Kelly was doing in the TDF. (while the oul lad smoked his pipe and read the paper).

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Jabel

lismore7 wrote: »
    This post brings back memories....The Clangers, Flock of Seagulls, wearing badges with your favourite bands on them, watching Queen at Slane, with In Tua Nua, Bangles and Chris Rea as support...recording Live Aid on VHS video cassette, wondering why the BBC banned Frankie goes to Hollywood's "Relax", big white baggy "Frankie says Relax" T shirts, watching Cry Before Dawn in the Blue Dragon out side Fermoy, my first bike...an Eddy Merckx racer (so wish I still had that now) wearing double breasted shirts, black velvet pointy shoes and long black trench coats....
    Yes ..I am 47 :(

Don't forget the mullets! Ah, those were the days:D

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭lismore7

Jabel wrote: »
    Don't forget the mullets! Ah, those were the days:D

Oh yes and pleated trousers, Noel Edmunds "Swap Shop", Jimmy Hill presenting Match of the day with Motty!!! and being allowed to stay up to 9pm to watch the very cool "Young Ones"

Think this post is steering slightly off course....but it's nice to know there are plenty of 40 something cyclists out there...

OP if you are looking for some cyclists of an "older mentality" to head off on spins with, unfortunately both RobFowl and bcmf are based Northside ....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

bottle carrier on the handlebars, wool shorts, clipless pedals didnt exist,

and yes to all the questions apart from child related ones

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Kerry Gooner

Black & white television and Raleigh choppers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭JMcL

Waiting by the 'wireless' for the sports bulletin after the 6 O'Clock news to hear how Kelly was doing in the TDF. (while the oul lad smoked his pipe and read the paper).

Going down to the Magnet in Pearse St during lunch when on work placement from college to watch the RTE coverage of the 88 TDF with Jimmy Magee comentating. Rifling through the papers in the shop to get the one or two column inches that constituted cycling coverage in the day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

TK lemonade, Wanderly wagon, Going on the ''hop'' from school, Dalymount in the freezing cold followed by KFC outside.

Advertisement