Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MTB Overshoes On Large Casual Shoes?

Options
  • 17-04-2014 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I'm tired of all my casual shoes getting ruined from cycling so I was thinking of getting some MTB overshoes as I tend to wear larger skate shoes but I fear they may be too large even for MTB Overshoes, I just need something to go over my shoes that is a bit classier than a plastic bag lol.

I don't really want to buy them online if they don't fit, but I don't see somewhere like Cycle Superstore or Wheelworx having XXL MTB ones?

Anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Your only problem is that the overshoes are going to get destroyed on the soles and you'll have to replace them pretty frequently. MTB overshoes are a bit more robust because they expect your feet to hit the ground, but they're not designed for friction against the pedal cage, and that'll shred them quickly.

Maybe you can get some kind of small gaiters, the kind that hill walkers use to keep their boots dry?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

seamus wrote: »
    Your only problem is that the overshoes are going to get destroyed on the soles and you'll have to replace them pretty frequently. MTB overshoes are a bit more robust because they expect your feet to hit the ground, but they're not designed for friction against the pedal cage, and that'll shred them quickly.

Maybe you can get some kind of small gaiters, the kind that hill walkers use to keep their boots dry?

I had a quick look at gaiters and they only really cover from the ankle up, they could be ideal to protect from cranks but I'd still need something to cover the shoe. They definitely look better than overshoes though. I'll keep looking around for any with more coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

DaveyDave wrote: »

get cycling shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Wizardej

You could try the adidas jaw paw shoes. I use them all the time on the bike as they have such a thick sole and haven't worn down all year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

Hey guys, I'm tired of all my casual shoes getting ruined from cycling so I was thinking of getting some MTB overshoes as I tend to wear larger skate shoes but I fear they may be too large even for MTB Overshoes, I just need something to go over my shoes that is a bit classier than a plastic bag lol.

I don't really want to buy them online if they don't fit, but I don't see somewhere like Cycle Superstore or Wheelworx having XXL MTB ones?

Gore City Overshoes do the job well for covering normal shoes. The sole will still be exposed but they are very quick easy on/off with a bit of velcro. Basically good for commuting if it's raining.

http://www.amazon.com/Gore-Mens-Universal-Gore-Tex-Overshoes/dp/B002PU9PC2

If they don't fit then just send them back I suppose and get another size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Hey guys, I'm tired of all my casual shoes getting ruined from cycling.......

........Anyone have any suggestions?
    As kenmc says!
    kenmc wrote: »
    get cycling shoes.

Why are you wearing casual shoes if they are getting ruined? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

As kenmc says!

Why are you wearing casual shoes if they are getting ruined? :confused:

I don't have clipless pedals and unfortunately I desperately needed new casual everyday shoes so I couldn't afford them and cycling shoes/clipless pedals.

The shoes are getting ruined from the cranks and the lack of full coverage mudguards on my MTB, I could just get proper mudguards but they'd still get wet somehow so I thought a shoe cover would be ideal.

I just need something, anything, to cover my shoes. It doesn't have to be snut, just not boot size. I'll see about trying a larger size MTB overshoe, as far as the soles are concerned I could most likely cycle to work without ever putting my foot down. Then I'll see about some sort of hiking boot cover.

As I said, a small black back would suffice if I absolutely had to I don't care how ridiculous it would look lol. I know it seems awkward, but I'd rather not spend money on bike shoes because I just got shoes. I just need something to protect them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

North wave Husky XXL over shores from chain reaction cycles

Advertisement