Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Camera? **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭MagicHumanDoll

CabanSail wrote: »
    What was the limits you found with the 1200D?

It is often the Kit Lens which becomes limiting rather than the body.

The screen is pretty poor, especially compared to a friend's D3300 (I think)

The kit lens certainly was limiting!

One big thing was the lack of video autofocusing. Love video making as well as photography and the inability to auto-focus while filming was annoying.

Other than that, the cropped-sensor was terribly limiting, but can't seem to get a full frame for under 1k which I can't do any time soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,689 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Panasonic M4/3 is the way to go for video.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

The screen is pretty poor, especially compared to a friend's D3300 (I think)

The kit lens certainly was limiting!

One big thing was the lack of video autofocusing. Love video making as well as photography and the inability to auto-focus while filming was annoying.

Other than that, the cropped-sensor was terribly limiting, but can't seem to get a full frame for under 1k which I can't do any time soon!
    Well if you are on a tight budget a full frame camera is a bad idea anyway because good lenses are very expensive for them. An m4/3 camera from panasonic as has been suggested would be a good choice for video but low light performance wont be any better than the canon, maybe even slightly worse in still photographs at least.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Well if you are on a tight budget a full frame camera is a bad idea anyway because good lenses are very expensive for them. An m4/3 camera from panasonic as has been suggested would be a good choice for video but low light performance wont be any better than the canon, maybe even slightly worse in still photographs at least.

Okay priority is photography, side-goal is to just has in built auto focus for video if possible. Gotta be DSLR given personal preference!

Sorry for not clarifying earlier

Okay priority is photography, side-goal is to just has in built auto focus for video if possible. Gotta be DSLR given personal preference!

Sorry for not clarifying earlier

Well autofocus is pretty terrible on many dslr's in live view. Some of the more expensive canons have come around this issue using dual pixel af technology.

That is why a mirroless camera like the panasonic was suggested because they are just a lot better for video, especially the panasonics, like the gx7 gx8.

If I wanted a camera mainly for stills for your budget I would buy a dx nikon and the excellent 35mm f1.8g lens(if you dont need to much of a wide angle)

• Advertisement

Well autofocus is pretty terrible on many dslr's in live view. Some of the more expensive canons have come around this issue using dual pixel af technology.

That is why a mirroless camera like the panasonic was suggested because they are just a lot better for video, especially the panasonics, like the gx7 gx8.

If I wanted a camera mainly for stills for your budget I would buy a dx nikon and the excellent 35mm f1.8g lens(if you dont need to much of a wide angle)

Okay thanks will have a good look into it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

The big step up is going to Full Frame, but there is the expense. As pointed out the glass can be a killer too.

I am not into video and so cannot advise there at all but maybe look out for a used D700 which was an early Nikon FX body. One of those with a lens may be affordable.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

I'm just starting off with sports photography (football mostly), I've got two Canon cameras with a decent range 2.8 lens (300mm), but I'm sort of in limbo about what second lens to buy as I'm working off a budget after spending around €2,000.

I'm mainly stuck between the Canon 24-70mm 2.8 or the Canon 70-200mm F/4 IS. It's important to note this perspective lens will be my secondary and I'll only this for closer action, the 300mm is my main. Maybe there are other good recommendations outside those two lenses, i'm all ears. Some photos will be taken under floodlights.

The big step up is going to Full Frame, but there is the expense. As pointed out the glass can be a killer too.

I am not into video and so cannot advise there at all but maybe look out for a used D700 which was an early Nikon FX body. One of those with a lens may be affordable.
    They don't do video though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭michaelp97

Apologies if there's a thread elsewhere couldn't find it. Just looking for a bit of advice for a camera for a beginner photographer.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

What's your budget ? What type of photography do you want to do ? Do you want print etc ?

I'm not overly restrained with a budget but not an outrageously expensive one! Kind of into city landscapes, night, and landscape and nature photography and not so into sports and fashion photography

Not entirely sure with print but think I'd be doing it more so putting them up online and maybe print off ones occasionly if they were goof enough to say hang up in my house

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

michaelp97 wrote: »
    I'm not overly restrained with a budget but not an outrageously expensive one! Kind of into city landscapes, night, and landscape and nature photography and not so into sports and fashion photography

None of those types of photography would be in own personal area of interest but there's two things I think you should be considering...

First off, night photography. You'll need something that can handle high ISO which cheaper cameras won't handle as well... or maybe you're looking at long exposures on a tripod. I used to do a bit of that on a Nikon D90 (which is a rather old model now) so you could check that spec as a starting point and see what newer models are comparable (or better - given that the D90 is nearly 10 years old).

Second is landscape vs nature. One requires a wide angle lens, the other (I presume) requires a nice bit of zoom to close to the wildlife. If you were one or the other, you could just focus on investing on a lens that suits the focal length you are looking for. Instead, you're probably best off with a kit 18mm-200mm lens to start with and finding your feet with that.

So yeah... nothing specific in my advice there :) but look at either Canon or Nikon entry/mid-range DSLRs paired with a 18-200mm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭cojobt

Hi,

Heading to Portugal for a week in August and will have to travel without my Nikon D7200 as it'll be getting oil spots removed. However, it is quite big and heavy to be lugging around all day.

I'm thinking of getting a second, smaller camera which would be more suitable to travel anyway, for land/sea scapes, street shots, portraits.

I had a look at Mirrorless and the Sony A6000 seems much loved, but it's a bit pricey. The Sony A5100 with kit 16-50mm lens is a bit more accessible.

However, I've since come across the Nikon Coolpix B700, a bridge camera with a huge 60x motorised zoom. Reviews vary in terms of verdict. It's a good bit bigger than the A5100, and has a much smaller sensor, but the zoom is quite an attractive selling point.

Any advice? Has anyone had experience of both? Or any suggestions of alternative cameras to consider in the sub-500 Euro range...or lower?

Thanks!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I have had Canon Powershot cameras for this sort of application. The first was a G9 and later a G12. They have both been excellent for lightweight travel needs. The G12 came with an underwater housing which is very handy even to keep dust and sand at bay.

Not sure what the latest incarnation in this line is but it has a very good pedigree and are very capable pieces of kit.

Getting the a6000 for dowsizing reasons defeats the purpose as the lenses are still the same size as nikon.

Id go for a micro 4/3 camera, they offer good image qyality and a good and compact lens choices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭cojobt

Getting the a6000 for dowsizing reasons defeats the purpose as the lenses are still the same size as nikon.

Id go for a micro 4/3 camera, they offer good image qyality and a good and compact lens choices.

I guess I meant physically smaller. The Nikon d7200 with a zoom lens is a large lump of equipment. The A6000 is considerably smaller in terms of form.

The A6000 is 4/3 isn't it?

cojobt wrote: »
    I guess I meant physically smaller. The Nikon d7200 with a zoom lens is a large lump of equipment. The A6000 is considerably smaller in terms of form.

The A6000 is 4/3 isn't it?

The a6000 is an aps-c camera just like the d7200. It might be a smaller camera but the lenses are the same size as what's on your nikon. Don't get me wrong the a6000 is a great camera but if you want a smaller form factor you won't really get it with the a6000 because of the size and weight of the lenses, especially any zooms.

A micro 4/3 camera such as those from panasonic and olympus are small lightweight and compact and offer near aps-c image quality whilst offering a massive range of high quality compact lightweight lenses. Even the zooms in most cases are very compact and lightweight.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Hey guys and gals,

Basically, over the last few months, I've gotten really fond of trying to snap pictures on my iPhone, mainly of scenes and moments as I'm traveling. The iPhone camera though obviously leaves a bit to be desired, so I want to look at getting a better camera.

I've got a budget of about €350, and don't have a clue what sort of thing to be looking for. I want something that can take nice, crisp pictures of "moments" (I know thats a flimsy word to describe what I'm talking about, but can't think of much better...), landmarks, nice scenery, etc.

Any suggestions? What should I be looking for? Megapixels? Lens? Thanks :)

• Advertisement

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Hey guys and gals,

Basically, over the last few months, I've gotten really fond of trying to snap pictures on my iPhone, mainly of scenes and moments as I'm traveling. The iPhone camera though obviously leaves a bit to be desired, so I want to look at getting a better camera.

I've got a budget of about €350, and don't have a clue what sort of thing to be looking for. I want something that can take nice, crisp pictures of "moments" (I know thats a flimsy word to describe what I'm talking about, but can't think of much better...), landmarks, nice scenery, etc.

Any suggestions? What should I be looking for? Megapixels? Lens? Thanks :)
    Don't go by megapixels. Sensor size/dynamic range and lenses etc are all more important things to look at.

Megapixels can be important too but everything else must be right first. For example a 20 megapixel point and shoot camera with a tiny sensor isn't near as good as say a full frame camera with 12 megapixels.

20 megapixels on a small sensor isn't the same as 20 megapixels on a larger sensor. The megapixels on the smaller senor will be much smaller and won't gather as much information as the larger pixels on the bigger sensor.

For your budget something like a nikon d3300 might fit the bill. It is an entry level dslr camera but a very good camera all the same. It will be a massive step up from your phone and you can add the fantastic 35mm f1.8 lens in the future for a small outlay(they are around€200) this will give you excellent quality photographs even if it is a fixed focal length but the kit lens will still be a massive step up from your phone and will give you more freedom with 18-55mm.

Bear in mind that these cameras are around €400 so you might have to up your budget a little.

I would not suggest a move into a DSLR. You would be buying a lot more camera than what you need. If I understand correctly you will want to still use it as a Point & Shoot at this stage.

These are not the sort of cameras which I would be looking at but find that DPReview do a good round up Have a look through that list and see if any of those fit your budget.

I would not suggest a move into a DSLR. You would be buying a lot more camera than what you need. If I understand correctly you will want to still use it as a Point & Shoot at this stage.

These are not the sort of cameras which I would be looking at but find that DPReview do a good round up Have a look through that list and see if any of those fit your budget.
    A dslr, especially an entry level dslr will work fine as a point and shoot and allow the op to expand their photography skills in the future if they wish.

Most of those long zoom compacts and bridge camera have tiny sensors so won't be much, if any upgrade from the op's phone, apart from the zoom that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭quattro777

Hi,

I would appreciate some advice on a new camera for a beginner with poor eyesight.
    It would be used for car photography, mainly outdoors.

Budget circa €600.
    Easy to use.
    Smaller than a DSLR but does not have to be tiny.
    Good AF and auto modes.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jrby

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100EBK

Hi, just wondering if anyone has this, or could recommend a good alternative, but not as expensive option.

Ideally looking for something a bit more mobile, trouser pocket etc, but at the same time a very capable camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,689 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Your options are set out in this article: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/2017-roundup-compact-enthusiast-zoom-cameras

The Sony DSC-RX100 is the only smaller fixed lens compact camera, but having a smaller sensor it wont have quite the comparable performance in low light.

The lateral thinking option would be this: https://www.amazon.de/Panasonic-DMC-GM5KEG-K-Systemkamera-Touch-Display-High-Speed/dp/B00NN6IZ3M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1500893891&sr=8-1&keywords=panasonic+gm5

A system camera with a 4/3 sensor like the LX100 but almost as small as the RX100 and half the price of the current one http://camerasize.com/compare/#690,570

To a large extent, you are paying for the lens on the LX10/100.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Going to buy my first prime lens to go with my d3100 - Have the 18-55 kit lens and a 70-200mm zoom. I'm 99% decided on Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G over the 50mm. With the cropped sensor the 50mm would be more like 75mm and the 35mm more like a 50mm ?

Any thoughts on either?

Will likely buy from E-Global or E-infin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Nobbo1980

hi, i am buying a dslr camera for my wife for her birthday. She is a keen photographer but a beginner. She would blog and be online a bit so was thinking a Canon Eos 1300 as it has wifi. The other option was a Nikon D3300, which i believe has 24 megapixels but no wifi. Which would be better or is there an alternative? Budget 500 or so. Thanks

GBX wrote: »
    Going to buy my first prime lens to go with my d3100 - Have the 18-55 kit lens and a 70-200mm zoom. I'm 99% decided on Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G over the 50mm. With the cropped sensor the 50mm would be more like 75mm and the 35mm more like a 50mm ?

Any thoughts on either?

Will likely buy from E-Global or E-infin.

The 35mm f1.8 for sure. It has a much more useful focal range than the 50mm which is too close for most types of photography.

• Advertisement

Nobbo1980 wrote: »
    hi, i am buying a dslr camera for my wife for her birthday. She is a keen photographer but a beginner. She would blog and be online a bit so was thinking a Canon Eos 1300 as it has wifi. The other option was a Nikon D3300, which i believe has 24 megapixels but no wifi. Which would be better or is there an alternative? Budget 500 or so. Thanks

The nikon d3300 without a doubt. It has the better image quality of the two but it boils down to more than just the camera body in making the decision. Lens choice is another factor but id still have the nikon personally.

Advertisement