Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Online Banking

Options
  • 21-10-2009 2:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hello, i'm about to open new bank account for using internet banking very often, it would be great if you could advice me which bank offer most convenient and most easy using system, i mean: easy and fast transfers, simple interface, useful options. Also need to know what security systems they are using for loging in.
    Thank you

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

AIB is extremely good, fast and reliable. They have won a few web awards too for their web site. I think they are called spider awards or something.

I pay all my utility bills through their online banking and have applied for loans too online. Seems to be better than Permanent TSB (I have seen my fathers).

Muppet Man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 npryde

Do bank requires any phone verifications or something like that when doing transactions for example between two AIB bank accounts?
    As i know there are some banks where verification process could take up to 5hrs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭dubmick

npryde wrote: »
    Do bank requires any phone verifications or something like that when doing transactions for example between two AIB bank accounts?

No you just use a code card. From personal experience AIB online is better than BOI's Banking 365

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

I'd agree with that last post - AIBs website is better than BOI.
    Also, the code card from AIB is very secure. Somebody would have to break into your house, find your codecard, and find and use your online banking login details to transfer money out of your account.

So how much numbers did this card consists of?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

So how much numbers did this card consists of?

Its a card the size of a credit card with 100 four digit numbers

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

NIB's is excellent - beats all of the others in terms of functionality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

Ulster Bank have a good setup, too, I have not found it wanting or lacking of anything yet.

They also have the card-reader thingy, too, oh and free banking, unlike AIB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Very happy with Permanent TSB. Never had any issues. Free banking as well. Instant transfer of funds to and from other accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Also, the code card from AIB is very secure. Somebody would have to break into your house, find your codecard, and find and use your online banking login details to transfer money out of your account.

This applies to all internet banking - and of course there are always people who keep the 2 things together:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

most of the above named banks have a Demo of their online facility. You should try them out. here is a link to Halifax for example

http://www.halifax.ie/onlinebanking/OnlineBankingDemo.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Ulster Bank have a good setup, too, I have not found it wanting or lacking of anything yet.

I'm not aware that AIB charge anything for Internet Banking... havent noticed it my statements anyway.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

+1 for AIB - way ahead of BOI which I also use.

So the Ulster provides that card-reader for everyone who applies, or it's just additional service for additional price?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

So the Ulster provides that card-reader for everyone who applies, or it's just additional service for additional price?

Free to all on application.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Anyone else a bit suspicious of this thread? Not sure I can entirely explain why, but it doesn't sit right with me

Ste.phen wrote: »
    Anyone else a bit suspicious of this thread? Not sure I can entirely explain why, but it doesn't sit right with me

What do you mean ? :eek:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Ste.phen wrote: »

I know where you're coming from, as the OP asked about the security logging in, but I'm pretty sure it's genuine!

Don't laugh, but I always thought the Postbank online banking was great! Instead of having a password, you have enter your customer number and card number (Maestro debit card), then you enter your card into a card reader, type in your PIN and it gives you an 8-digit code which is valid only for 30 seconds, which you enter to login. It is much safer as even if a keylogger or something is installed on the computer, it is very difficult to log into an account without the physical debit card and the pin.

The Ulster Bank one is OK, but one thing I don't like is that when you make POS transactions, it is just displayed as POS + €x.xx (whatever amount) and doesn't say where the transaction came from (e.g. Tesco Dundalk) until about a week after it happened. I don't know why this is, but I think it's a bit odd - especially if a non-genuine transaction cropped up, I'd like to know where it came from!

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭none

OK, I think AIB is the best.

It is free if you have and use a debit card. Before, when I just had an ATM card, I had to pay about a tenner each quarter.

It doesn't have any bulky card readers/number generators, just a simple but as secure code card. The basic security principles behind a printed card and an impressive and fashionable gizmo is the same but the ease of use of the former beats the latter hands down.

I allows instant online transfer to any IBAN/BIC account in the world. Don't know if any other Irish bank has it.

Unfortunately, they did a stupid downgrade a few months back so their Web site interface isn't as user-friendly and advanced as before but still I think they're better than others.

p.s. Others here mean BoI, Ulster and Rabo whose Web account interfaces I saw.

Advertisement