Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GW35 Captain Poll

• 17-04-2014 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭

Obvious choice is Suarez against his favourite club Norwich. Some other popular shouts like Aguero against WBA and Eriksen against Fulham, but I probably won't have either :o.

Who are you captaining? 142 votes

Luis Suarez
    0%
    Daniel Sturridge
    77%
    SickBoyMiguel_SanchezmachiavellianmesionnachT-b0n3Zaph[Deleted User]Dadesfranmanrock whoreFitzerProrycLemlinMacker1crushproofRikandzarquonArmaniJeanssGLaDOSNalz 110 votes
    Steven Gerrard
    0%
    Emmanuel Adebayor
    1%
    FlecktarnThe Wild Bunch 2 votes
    Christian Eriksen
    1%
    bofRojiblancos 2 votes
    Sergio Aguero
    1%
    PWEIwho_ru 2 votes
    David Silva
    15%
    SkySterthe whole year innIagobo-scoharpstilidieInspector CoptoorHype710cmac2009Iused2likebustskm79MarkxOneColdHandwardie101ConbharbensboysPopTartsDecodarosskindalchemist33bezuaua 22 votes
    Any Chelsea player
    1%
    big_showWalter White 2 votes
    Adam Lallana
    0%
    SureYWouldntYa 1 vote
    Juan Mata
    0%
    Aaron Ramsey
    0%
    patmac 1 vote
    Other
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Don't know how long it takes to set up one of these polls but on this occasion I fear you might have wasted your time Ziegler, I don't think there is much room for discussion here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

Daniel Sturridge
    Don't know how long it takes to set up one of these polls but on this occasion I fear you might have wasted your time Ziegler, I don't think there is much room for discussion here.
    Haha, only one minute. If I was in a gambling mood I would bring Aguero in for -4 and stick the armband on him; too early for that though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

David Silva
    Picked Aguero, but that's probably only got I got him in last night!

I'm sure common sense will kick in and I'll switch to Suarez by the weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭sanket

Daniel Sturridge
    Where is Puncheon :D

Haha, only one minute. If I was in a gambling mood I would bring Aguero in for -4 and stick the armband on him; too early for that though.

I had actually forgotten about Aguero and his fixture even though I have him in my team, there's certainly a case to be made for him alright. He'll still probably only play 60 minutes though so that'd be a worry. You know you're gonna get 90 from Suarez and goal difference could still decide this league in city's favour so Liverpool won't be taking it easy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

David Silva
    Aguero. Hopefully Norwich can put up a good fight at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Am damn tempted to go with Ramsey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Daniel Sturridge
    I have a good feeling about Lukaku, he was just trolling us last week.

Actually i hearby request that Lukaku never again be allowed into any captains polls - ever again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭HighClass

Daniel Sturridge
    Suarez against Norwich, no brainer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Daniel Sturridge
    Suarez.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Daniel Sturridge
    When in doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Santi101

Daniel Sturridge
    Going Suarez but really hoping Liverpool bottle it, the thoughts of them winning the title........:eek:.....never hear the end of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Daniel Sturridge
    Having Aguero back is making the choice a lot more interesting. Don't have him yet but i was petrified he was going to run amok yesterday and he could still do this as could Suarez. The run in is shaping up to be very interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

David Silva
    I decided last night that I needed some risk-taking to get my enthusiasm back. I'm not going to win the private league I've been chasing and I'm also unlikely to beat my highest overall position. So Aguero it is.

Edit: so now that I've made my poll choice and seen what I'm up against, I'm feeling a little faint.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Rosco79

Daniel Sturridge
    On the plus side for the risk taking camp Norwich have a mean home defence but on the negative side that same defence is afraid of its life of Suarez..... Think the negatives out way the positives, Suarez it is....

Daniel Sturridge
    Obvious choice is Suarez against his favourite club Norwich. Some other popular shouts like Aguero against WBA and Eriksen against Fulham, but I probably won't have either :o.
    I just took the -4 from Studge to Kun after Rodgers' presser but still don't think I can take the armband off Luis. He got so many double digit hauls when he was up top by himself and Norwich are not even settled on a first choice back line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,343 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Daniel Sturridge
    there's likely to be no Sturridge, so even more reason to pick Suarez.

however, what I will say, is Norwich's defensive record at home is pretty formidable. not many score lots against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭rosskind

David Silva
    Their home record always is decent. This year they're getting less points while conceding less goals but it hasn't stopped Suarez before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Devia

Daniel Sturridge
    Suarez has something like 7 goals in the last 3 matches against Norwich. Can't really argue with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

David Silva
    Devia wrote: »
    Suarez has something like 7 goals in the last 3 matches against Norwich. Can't really argue with that.
    11 in his last 4 games against them I think

• Advertisement

David Silva
    PaddyPower has Aguero at 1.36 and Suarez at 1.53. Anyone pay any attention to these?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

Emmanuel Adebayor
    No Rooney option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Daniel Sturridge
    would be daft to go for anyone other than Suarez given his record v the Canaries... i fear John Ruddy won't be given the armband by many this week. He's still a superstar in my eyes though

p.s. a year ago tomorrow, Romelu Lukaku, coming on at half time, scored a 2nd half hatrick v Man Utd, can he repeat the trick on Sunday, with better team mates, against a weaker United ;););)

Surely not :pac::pac::pac: #bewarethecurseofLukaku

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Steel Dog

No Rooney option?

Thats what the "Other" choice is for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

sanket wrote: »
    Where is Puncheon :D

Was half thinking of captaining Puncheon last GW cos of his form but went safe with Lukaku...would have had well over 100 pts if I had gone with gut feeling as had a good week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Daniel Sturridge
    Was half thinking of captaining Puncheon last GW cos of his form but went safe with Lukaku...would have had well over 100 pts if I had gone with gut feeling as had a good week.

I only vaguely considered him as he's been my buy of the season since I got him in well over 10 weeks (although il admit he was mainly for bench option). Can't complain too much though as the ever reliable Leighton Baines came to the fore once again :cool:

Daniel Sturridge
    I decided last night that I needed some risk-taking to get my enthusiasm back. I'm not going to win the private league I've been chasing and I'm also unlikely to beat my highest overall position. So Aguero it is.

Edit: so now that I've made my poll choice and seen what I'm up against, I'm feeling a little faint.
    Just switched to Aguero since I need to make up 43 points in my money league. I need Mickey T to have the match of his life now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Just switched to Aguero since I need to make up 43 points in my money league. I need Mickey T to have the match of his life now!

So tempted to do this too but afraid I'll only end up further behind! :(

Daniel Sturridge
    So tempted to do this too but afraid I'll only end up further behind! :(
    YOLO :cool::pac:

• Advertisement

David Silva
    Considering almost everyone will go with Suarez, I won't make up ground that way. Even if Aguero fails spectacularly, the worst that'll happen is that I'll fall even further behind my own record (which I'm already pretty far off anyway and almost certainly won't reach). Unless it fails really really spectacularly and it gives my private league rivals some hope but that would need to be 20+ points. Plus Monday night game gives you a whole (long) weekend of hope!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭HighClass

Daniel Sturridge
    I'd love to take a chance on someone else other than Suarez but his record at Norwich is too good to not captain him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭PopTarts

David Silva
    Can't decide between Suarez and Aguero. On Aguero at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,925 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Daniel Sturridge
    MOD EDIT:
    This isn't a bookies, please keep all gambling posts in the proper threads on boards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Daniel Sturridge
    SlickRic wrote: »
    there's likely to be no Sturridge, so even more reason to pick Suarez.

however, what I will say, is Norwich's defensive record at home is pretty formidable. not many score lots against them.

Luis going for his 3rd consecutive hatrick at Carrow Road, a goal and some baps i'd take, but honestly anyone not captaining Luis needs their head checked!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,550 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Daniel Sturridge
    City won't be their usual self without Silva (probably) and Toure. Aguero is a real danger but the wrong choice unless you need to take a risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Tempted by Aguero but if City are sticking to the general 25/50/75/90 rule when bringing back an injured player, which they seem to be this time around, then he won't get 90 minutes.

Suarez it is.

Daniel Sturridge
    mailburner wrote: »
    MOD EDIT:
    This isn't a bookies, please keep all gambling posts in the proper threads on boards

The prices posted are more as an indicator of likelihood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

Emmanuel Adebayor
    Is Silva definitely out then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭Hogey007

CSF wrote: »
    The prices posted are more as an indicator of likelihood.

agreed. i remember glancing at that post that was removed last night and just came back in to check it before deciding on captain. always helpful when someone puts up the odds for cs, assists, anytime goal as sometimes they'd be a little surprising as to who the bookies favour.

also don't see the harm in an odd betting tip if a good one comes up, i don't bet that much and certainly don't go trawling betting threads for tips but if a good offer comes up like the chelsea - united one @ 4/1 a couple of weeks ago i wouldn't mind someone posting it, i certainly didn't mind when i was collecting 50 quid.

anyway, back to thread topic, torn between aguero and suarez, i know my rival will have suarez, i've closed the gap from 80 to 40 recently and a suarez hat trick could kill me off but need to start gambling with 4 gw's to go? he doesn't have aguero so maybe i'll just go with suarez as having aguero will claw me back points if he scores a couple.

Daniel Sturridge
    Hogey007 wrote: »
    agreed. i remember glancing at that post that was removed last night and just came back in to check it before deciding on captain. always helpful when someone puts up the odds for cs, assists, anytime goal as sometimes they'd be a little surprising as to who the bookies favour.

also don't see the harm in an odd betting tip if a good one comes up, i don't bet that much and certainly don't go trawling betting threads for tips but if a good offer comes up like the chelsea - united one @ 4/1 a couple of weeks ago i wouldn't mind someone posting it, i certainly didn't mind when i was collecting 50 quid.

anyway, back to thread topic, torn between aguero and suarez, i know my rival will have suarez, i've closed the gap from 80 to 40 recently and a suarez hat trick could kill me off but need to start gambling with 4 gw's to go? he doesn't have aguero so maybe i'll just go with suarez as having aguero will claw me back points if he scores a couple.
    I can see why they'd wanna clamp down on the betting/general football chat, especially when you see people posting stuff like 'SUPER LEEDS' and United and Liverpool fans carrying on their diving bickering from the soccer forum.

But quoting bookie prices as a measure of probability for FF purposes only should be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭carraig2

I can see why they'd wanna clamp down on the betting/general football chat, especially when you see people posting stuff like 'SUPER LEEDS' and United and Liverpool fans carrying on their diving bickering from the soccer forum.

But quoting bookie prices as a measure of probability for FF purposes only should be fine.

I think so too especially in view of the fact that bookies very seldom get it wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭Hogey007

ah well i just think if it gets drawn out into a discussion then fair enough clamping down as it derails the thread from the correct topic but if someone posts a quick link for a really good offer on a bet (eg chelsea/united at 4/1 when it was 2/1 everywhere else) then i don't see the harm in sharing it with fellow football fans.

i took that bet and passed it onto 3 other people and we all got 50 each, would have never seen it if it hadn't been posted here. anyway, i won't derail the thread any further.

have decided on suarez as captain. i know he'll play 90 minutes against a god awful team, having aguero is enough for me against a rival that doesn't. if i don't make up ground this week i'll start gambling on away from suarez next week. maybe rooney as suarez plays chelsea anyway.

Daniel Sturridge
    carraig2 wrote: »
    I think so too especially in view of the fact that bookies very seldom get it wrong

On the contrary, they are terrible at it a lot of the time, they just have the benefit of big margins in their favour, and people who will bet indiscriminately and bet until they lose their winnings.

Daniel Sturridge
    Hogey007 wrote: »
    ah well i just think if it gets drawn out into a discussion then fair enough clamping down as it derails the thread from the correct topic but if someone posts a quick link for a really good offer on a bet (eg chelsea/united at 4/1 when it was 2/1 everywhere else) then i don't see the harm in sharing it with fellow football fans.

i took that bet and passed it onto 3 other people and we all got 50 each, would have never seen it if it hadn't been posted here. anyway, i won't derail the thread any further.

have decided on suarez as captain. i know he'll play 90 minutes against a god awful team, having aguero is enough for me against a rival that doesn't. if i don't make up ground this week i'll start gambling on away from suarez next week. maybe rooney as suarez plays chelsea anyway.

There are exceptions to every rule of course and I'd wanna know about those things too but I can see why the mods would wanna clamp down on that to avoid setting precedents for the same people who let is know how super Leeds are, letting us know how super their accumulator went every week.

I would agree that gambling or betting tips have no place on this forum, to be honest even the off topic thread gets terribly boring with people posting their weekly slip.
    However the odds posted were to give an indication of which player was most likely to score and therefore produce decent FPL returns, I see no problem with that.

Suarez for me, absolutely no question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,063 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Just brought in Ade and going gung ho and making him captain. I dont want Liverpool to win the league so Im hoping my thickness works out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Was sure rival would captain Suarez so I chickened out of captaining Aguero but he brought in Aguero and captained him...gonna be a long wait now until Monday night if Luis doesn't do the business tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭carraig2

Was sure rival would captain Suarez so I chickened out of captaining Aguero but he brought in Aguero and captained him...gonna be a long wait now until Monday night if Luis doesn't do the business tomorrow!

Gonna be a longer wait if he does

Advertisement