Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gorey 3 Day

Options
  • 20-02-2014 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Gorey 3 Day entries are now open.

Postal Entry only.

Open to A2 and A3 riders only.

Maximum field of 180 riders.

All details are on the attachment.

Entry fee must accompany entry form to guarantee a place.

Entry fees are non refundable and non transferrable

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Pablo Rubio

Says Sign on 19th march @ 9.15 am. Long wait till start:P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

So who on here is doing this?
    I'm looking forward to it (i think)

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

I'm in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 doedoe

Anybody want to ride this as part of a five man team, with a back up service ??? Pm if you do

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭MarkG1975

I am doing it also, first stage race in first season and can't wait. Is there any info or advice for the weekend? How hard are the stages compared to recent a3 races? Huge field I suppose makes it tougher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Does anyone have details on the Start times of the stages, distance, elevation etc?
    Info out there on websites I've found are very scant in detail...

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Swordsdave

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Does anyone have details on the Start times of the stages, distance, elevation etc?
    Info out there on websites I've found are very scant in detail...
    http://irishroadclub.com/#details
    Loved every minute of this race a few years ago would love to go back again. If it wasn't for those pesky lucan lads chasing everything down!!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭smurphy29

I'm down for this. Looking forward to it. 121km for the first stage, a killer.

I know it's a bit in advance, but early suggestions are for a headwind for the TT.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/ie/gorey/211491/daily-weather-forecast/211491?day=5

Looking at last year's times I'm hoping they had more of a (prevailing) tailwind?!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Big change in the first stage. They've added two full laps of the Cranford circuit and the finish is the third time up the hill in Cranford. That's going to be epic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭RockWerchter

Last years winning TT times had a moderate cross headwind, top three were all within the last ten riders off. Don't know what conditions for earlier riders were.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭sheepfield

Last years winning TT times had a moderate cross headwind, top three were all within the last ten riders off. Don't know what conditions for earlier riders were.

There was indeed a cross/headwind from the east last year for the TT. The early riders had to deal with the minor issue of the clocks going forward an hour and the much more pressing issue of a -5 wind chill in a skin suit... top 3 wud have won anyway if u ask me, but jayzus twas very cold!

on another note, something tells me stage1 is longer than advertised- 3 times up Craanford?

Big change in the first stage. They've added two full laps of the Cranford circuit and the finish is the third time up the hill in Cranford. That's going to be epic!

what is this Cranford you speak of?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭buffalo

lennymc wrote: »

It's Craaaaanford, I think.

The climb is this: http://www.strava.com/segments/1224372 (http://goo.gl/maps/hszoa)

The circuit is this: http://www.strava.com/segments/1204160

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭sheepfield

lennymc wrote: »

Looking at the road surface in the village, I think its Gorey 3-Day's answer to the Patersberg.... :pac:

Maybe I shouldnt have asked :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Swordsdave wrote: »
    http://irishroadclub.com/#details
    Loved every minute of this race a few years ago would love to go back again. If it wasn't for those pesky lucan lads chasing everything down!!! ;)

Close to 20 of them in this years race from my last reading of the start list. I guess the organisers don't care about team number limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭smurphy29

80k + 2 * 25k laps = 130k, no?

The description on the website appear to follow last year's route which finished in Gorey, coming from Ballycanew.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭wav1

smurphy29 wrote: »
    80k + 2 * 25k laps = 130k, no?

The description on the website appear to follow last year's route which finished in Gorey, coming from Ballycanew.
    Agreed,Spoke about this with our riders last night.My reckoning is 132k on Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

@Wav1 Any idea why the Junior squad have chosen the Tour of the North this year instead of the Gorey?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭buffalo

And where are the Nico Roche team this weekend? Not on the start lists for Kerry, Gorey or Ulster.

• Advertisement

buffalo wrote: »
    And where are the Nico Roche team this weekend? Not on the start lists for Kerry, Gorey or Ulster.

I think I saw they are racing in Belgium over Easter. Obviously will be no complaints from A3's this weekend!

The Ster Van Zuid Limburg is a Junior Tour over three days: http://www.stervanzuidlimburg.be/

That's a pity. I've been sandbagging all year just to beat them pesky juniors in this race. Ah well. guess I'll just have to sandbag for a little while longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭wav1

MichealD wrote: »
    @Wav1 Any idea why the Junior squad have chosen the Tour of the North this year instead of the Gorey?
    powers that be obviously felt the tour of the north would give them a new challenge.NRPT riding a stage race in Belgium.Thats 10 of the pests missing anyway.Good luck to all this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I've just looked at the start list.
    I see, that Robin Seymour is racing.
    For those of you, not familiar with MTBiking, Robin has represented Ireland at the Olympic Games, and has won, 19 Irish MTB Championships at XC, 1 Irish Championship at Downhill and about 15 cyclocross championships.
    It'll be interesting to see, how he fares in " The Gorey"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I've just looked at the start list.
    I see, that Robin Seymour is racing.
    For those of you, not familiar with MTBiking, Robin has represented Ireland at the Olympic Games, and has won, 19 Irish MTB Championships at XC, 1 Irish Championship at Downhill and about 15 cyclocross championships.
    It'll be interesting to see, how he fares in " The Gorey"

He has done the Ras in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Raam wrote: »
    He has done the Ras in the past.

That's right, I had forgotten that. He was on the Irish Team, can't remember the year. Could have been 2000, in preparation for the Olympics.

Robin has done several Goreys before too.

The changes to the stage one finish make it much harder and more selective stage then previous years. Normally the TT can be decisive but I think this year stage one and three will decide things.

Looking forward to driving in the cavalcade for my tenth year. Must remember to watch the chariot scene in Ben Hur tomorrow to get me in the mood for the take off from the grid in Blessington!

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

MichealD wrote: »
    Robin has done several Goreys before too.

The changes to the stage one finish make it much harder and more selective stage then previous years. Normally the TT can be decisive but I think this year stage one and three will decide things.

Looking forward to driving in the cavalcade for my tenth year. Must remember to watch the chariot scene in Ben Hur tomorrow to get me in the mood for the take off from the grid in Blessington!

Great read up on him on sticky bottle, says it's his first Gorey though http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/riding-the-gorey-is-a-bit-like-riding-the-ras-im-a-romantic-about-these-kinds-of-things/
    Can't wait for this to start now!
    Any Gorey veterans with some good tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

Ya Go to bed . Your going to need all the rest your can get :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

Eamonnator wrote: »
    That's right, I had forgotten that. He was on the Irish Team, can't remember the year. Could have been 2000, in preparation for the Olympics.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement