Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish TRaction Group's 226

Comments

Sounds rather like a 181. :pac: Nice to see her finally start. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

could a Mod seperate this out into a dedicated thread please.

the full story is now available in the current issue of Irish Mail.... worth joining ITG just to read....

sadly I missed the day, being up to my eyes in Fords in the UK at the time, hopefully I'll be there the next time it is started.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Excellent, great to see their decades of hard work and perseverance pay off.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Eiretrains

Karsini wrote: »
    Sounds rather like a 181. :pac:
    Not sure to take the bait or not.:pac: But maybe for those who don't know, the engine was obtained from a 141/181 Class locomotive, which itself had obtained from a withdrawn C Class from the late 1980s.:D
    C226 in 1971, one of the Class to have heating/lighting thingy* on the buffer beam.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/holycorner/6749912153/

*Edit:
    An interesting development was the fitting of equipment to supply electric train-lighting for use on branch line services; 203 213, 215, 218, 223, and 231 were among the ten so fitted. A jumper box was provided on the buffer beam, and a cable carried current from the generator to specially-equipped carriages. The experiment was, however, short-lived—the reason for it ceased to exist when the branch lines were closed. - Crossley Diesels of CIE, by Dan Renehan, IRRS No.90.

• Advertisement

Would anyone have any pictures of 226 in silver or as B226?
    It appears to have been camera shy.

As an aside as far as I know 231 & 233 were delivered in green, never wore silver.

I can't imagine that they were able to haul much with that puny engine.

puny! it was big enough when I had my head stuck up it earlier on! I'd say there will be several more decades of hard work before you can ride behind it, unless of course some of youse would like to come and help..(says the Veteran of 4 working visits!)

corktina wrote: »
    puny! it was big enough when I had my head stuck up it earlier on! I'd say there will be several more decades of hard work before you can ride behind it, unless of course some of youse would like to come and help..(says the Veteran of 4 working visits!)
    I was referring to the Crossley there...

I'd be interested in volunteering myself but I don't exactly know what I could offer.

well they were pretty welcoming to me and I have no particular skills. I just do what I'm told and the other guys can get on with more important stuff. I don't mind being the Gofer at all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,209 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

corktina wrote: »
    well they were pretty welcoming to me and I have no particular skills. I just do what I'm told and the other guys can get on with more important stuff. I don't mind being the Gofer at all!

Carrick is a great place and I applaud the work of one particular person down there. Won't name him, but he is its life and soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭metrovick001

Well done, a fantastic result - I cant imagine how much effort must have gone into MV226 over the past number of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,244 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I can't imagine that they were able to haul much with that puny engine.

The puny Crossley engine had a top speed of 75 MPH!!

The puny Crossley engine had a top speed of 75 MPH!!
    How many bogies could it haul at that speed though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,244 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

How many bogies could it haul at that speed though?

Short answer is that I don't know but I doubt that one could for too long. That said, few lines could take trains at high speeds and most good were loose coupled and subjected to a 25 MPH limit so a C hauling a heavy fast train was probably never ever an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭GBOA

I'd be interested in volunteering myself but I don't exactly know what I could offer.

Anyone willing to put in a bit of graft is more than appreciated! Did it myself without any specific skills.

Advertisement