Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hidden Gems

• 13-04-2013 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭

not so long ago you could go out and about on the rail system and come up with some forgotten bit of rolling stock or whatever. Now that IE seems so sanitanised, is there anything left out there of interest, historical or otherwise that you may stumble across?

An example would be the beautiful old coach that used to be alongside the road in Waterford, a clerestory if my memory serves me right and in use maybe as a mess or office.That would have been perhaps 15 to 20 years ago

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

is that mouldy tram still in a garden in Dalkey somewhere?

A look over the wall at the North Wall depot still yields some Mk3s and random obsolete wagons doesn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

is that mouldy tram still in a garden in Dalkey somewhere?

A look over the wall at the North Wall depot still yields some Mk3s and random obsolete wagons doesn't it?

30cno6c.jpg

The 'mouldy tram' above was in fact the Directors Tram from the Dublin United Tramway Company and ended up in a Dalkey piggery thanks to political connections. It was completely wrecked during its later years as a farm office in the piggery. Ultimately its burnt remains were 'donated' in mysterious circumstances to the "National Transport Museum" in Howth. Earlier thread here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=62916488

I know the whereabouts of quite a number of undocumented vehicles but won't be revealing them here for obvious reasons. No doubt they will return to earth in due course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

30cno6c.jpg

I know the whereabouts of quite a number of undocumented vehicles but won't be revealing them here for obvious reasons. No doubt they will return to earth in due course.

could you expand on that at all without giving away too much?

PM sent.

thanks for theM JD. I would never have guessed there was a rake of laminates hidden in the phoenix park tunnel!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Eiretrains

Here's one I've always wondered about. Is this holiday home in Youghal a former railway carriage (presumably narrow gauge origins) and if so any takers on what railway it's from?
    http://goo.gl/maps/UVESs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

All the old wagons have been scrapped and cut up. The oldest things left on the network is one rake of the ballast wagons with a plow van at each end. They
    limited to 35mph.

I think the only interesting things left is the weedsprayer train and the odd custom sperry wagon and the various track maintenance vehicles of the PWD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Eiretrains wrote: »
    Here's one I've always wondered about. Is this holiday home in Youghal a former railway carriage (presumably narrow gauge origins) and if so any takers on what railway it's from?
    http://goo.gl/maps/UVESs

They're Cork & Muskerry origin, with alternate windows blocked up...http://www.flickr.com/photos/be216cd1/8439209366/
    I think there was once a few more around Redbarn according to the Newham Muskerry book. A lot of interesting things ended up around the holiday homes in Crosshaven (Crosser to locals) incl ancient old buses, most if not all are gone now, but there's what looks like a CB&PR ng wagon serving as a garden shed in Crosshaven itself if you know where to look!

there were a few old coach bodies in a school in West Cork, can't think of the name of the village, Gael Tacht area south from Macroom. innis something

corktina wrote: »
    there were a few old coach bodies in a school in West Cork, can't think of the name of the village, Gael Tacht area south from Macroom. innis something

Do you mean the shot of MGWR/GSWR six wheeler bodies used as dorms in Ballingeary? They're gone with 10 or 12 years. Had enquired about getting one but they had none of it, they burnt them to get rid of them.
    Or are there more somewhere else that I'm unaware of?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,250 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Just off J16 on the M6 is this former station, you can just about see it on the motorway itself.
    http://goo.gl/maps/jSPVh

flazio wrote: »
    Just off J16 on the M6 is this former station, you can just about see it on the motorway itself.
    http://goo.gl/maps/jSPVh

Wow, the last time I was at Dunsandle it was a peaceful place in the middle of nowhere. :eek:

Thanks, very interesting regarding the Youghal carriages, even more interesting its off the Muskerry!
    there's what looks like a CB&PR ng wagon serving as a garden shed in Crosshaven itself if you know where to look!
    Do you mean this one? I snapped it a few years back, appears to be still there captured on Google.

Enjoying this thread, very interesting. Pity Dunsandle isn't same as used to be, that's two major roads now sliced through the former Loughrea branch.

Do you mean the shot of MGWR/GSWR six wheeler bodies used as dorms in Ballingeary? They're gone with 10 or 12 years. Had enquired about getting one but they had none of it, they burnt them to get rid of them.
    Or are there more somewhere else that I'm unaware of?

that would be they...is ir really that long ago!

corktina wrote: »
    that would be they...is ir really that long ago!

Maybe longer, the builders plates were missing, but some had 'GSWR' cast into the luggage racks and there was one with a very nice frosted glass with 'SMOKING' etched into it. The compartments were partly cut back and some basic wash up facilities and cheap iron bunk beds put in, but the timber panels was starting to come off, general mowldy smell off them with the damp bedding etc and local kids were starting to break the windows by that stage.:(

Eiretrains, that's the very wagon I was talking about.

I think this collection at Halfway west of Cork (overshadowed by the former CBSCR line) is widely known, but can anyone explain the origins of the 6-wheel carriage, is MGWR or GSWR?
    http://goo.gl/maps/jXePi

I think this collection at Halfway west of Cork (overshadowed by the former CBSCR line) is widely known, but can anyone explain the origins of the 6-wheel carriage, is MGWR or GSWR?
    http://goo.gl/maps/jXePi

CIE Departmental 234a - ex.WL&WR recovered from Tipperary to Mallow in 1983. I'll have to check my files for more info.

Afaik, the original intention was to put the rail collection on a piece of track ON the viaduct itself, the farmer who owned the land surrounding it (quite understandably) objected!
    They've a nice old green CIE doubledecker bus, but it's looking very sorry for itself left out in the elements. Why they can't put it in a shed is beyond me.

years ago when I was on the Committee of a car club, they had an Ambulance made from an estate car of the marque we were interested in which was roting in their yard for ages, we offered to buy, rent or otherwise take it on, with a view to restoring it. They said no, and I guess it's scrap by now. I believe it's another "one man band" type place of which several examples spring to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭islanderre

This is the Loco that's @ Dunsandle just of the Loughrea / Kiltullagh junction on the M6.
    [IMG][/img]p1020886z.jpg
    and
    [IMG][/img]p1020883d.jpg

Their is also a tanker carriage their and an old carraige....... will get photos when its a bit warmer!!!!!

• Advertisement

Is that a recent pic? The paintwork looks better than previous photos posted on Boards. :)

That's really nice to see E428, looks like it was given a real spruce up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭islanderre

Took them two photos about two weeks ago from the car!!!!! Was too cold to get out plus was feeling lazy!!!!!!!!

Loco is looking fresh..... reckon it got a coat of paint recently.

Should be passing again an a few weeks and will get a few more snaps.

CIE Departmental 234a - ex.WL&WR recovered from Tipperary to Mallow in 1983. I'll have to check my files for more info.

Waterford, Limerick & Western Railway #907 - date will be in GSWR Carriage Diagrams (1975) Pender & Richards.

ISBN 090155202X, 9780901552020

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭Rocky Bay

They're Cork & Muskerry origin, with alternate windows blocked up...http://www.flickr.com/photos/be216cd1/8439209366/
    I think there was once a few more around Redbarn according to the Newham Muskerry book. A lot of interesting things ended up around the holiday homes in Crosshaven (Crosser to locals) incl ancient old buses, most if not all are gone now, but there's what looks like a CB&PR ng wagon serving as a garden shed in Crosshaven itself if you know where to look!
    ...on the road up to Fort Meagher, right side of the road? When I was a child there was an old doubledeck bus in the same area and up till about 15 years ago I used to remember the exact spot, but not any more!

A similar thread on IRN...

http://irnirishrailwaynews.yuku.com/topic/1310/Where?page=100

A SL&NC bogie that was refused to Downpatrick when it was half decent...it's a right piece of cr*p now. :(

Rocky Bay wrote: »
    ...on the road up to Fort Meagher, right side of the road? When I was a child there was an old doubledeck bus in the same area and up till about 15 years ago I used to remember the exact spot, but not any more!

There was a thread on the buses site Garaiste bemoaning the demolition of a bus around Crosshaven a few years ago, may have even been the same one?

I was looking at some old photos of Rathmore recently, am I right in saying there used to be a grounded carriage body there too? Think it was on the down platform by the goods shed, but looking at recent pictures it appears to have disappeared, anyone know the origins of it?

I was looking at some old photos of Rathmore recently, am I right in saying there used to be a grounded carriage body there too? Think it was on the down platform by the goods shed, but looking at recent pictures it appears to have disappeared, anyone know the origins of it?

I don't think so, I think all that was was an arc roofed shed that sprouted out the goods store gable end.

Appeared far too wide to have been a wagon to me.

• Advertisement

I thnk you're right, on closer inspection it appears to be a one of those long corrugated iron sheds but with an arc roof.:P

There used be a grounded 6 wheeler at the Sugar Factory sidings in Mallow, have a pic of it somewhere.
    Gone with about 10 years or so now, it had a birdcage type lookout.

There used be a grounded 6 wheeler at the Sugar Factory sidings in Mallow, have a pic of it somewhere.
    Gone with about 10 years or so now, it had a birdcage type lookout.

It was a GSWR birdcage brake alright, another of my purchases that never made it.

It was a GSWR birdcage brake alright, another of my purchases that never made it.

You should have used the bigger shopping trolley.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 The True Puka

The Dromod railway graveyard is home to a few gems really. I paid a visit last September.
    Quite interesting place if only it was run properly. In fairness the Dromod saga went to the circus as soon as old ambulances and bits of airplanes started showing up.
    They have a 121 cab there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

30cno6c.jpg

The 'mouldy tram' above was in fact the Directors Tram from the Dublin United Tramway Company and ended up in a Dalkey piggery thanks to political connections. It was completely wrecked during its later years as a farm office in the piggery. Ultimately its burnt remains were 'donated' in mysterious circumstances to the "National Transport Museum" in Howth. Earlier thread here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=62916488

JD - I am sure I am not the only person who would like to see you back posting here shortly ! ;)

You probably know all about this 2011 DVD, available in Dublin City libraries and elsewhere. There is some rare footage in it of the Blessington and Lucan steam trams, the Director's tram above and ample footage of the DUTC trams around the city.

It moves on to the Howth transport museum and the current overhaul of one of the Howth trams. Finally it gives a glimpse of what could be here with a visit to a working heritage tram system in Newcastle. The video is interspersed with interesting anecdotals and interviews with the lads at the museum in Howth. For those who may be interested ..........

Old Trams of Dublin 1868 - 1959 , is the title - well worth viewing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement