Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

credit card query

Options
  • 02-11-2009 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭

Is it normal for the store or whoever your buying from to ask for the 3 digit number on the back of your credit card? I've never been 100% sure on this.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

Yes.
    If you are paying for something by telephone or on the internet, you cannot sign or enter your pin, so they have to ask for that verification number, so that they know you have the card in your posession and that you are not using someone elses credit card number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭trish23

It would be normal for a store to ask you for this information for a CNP (Card Not Present) transaction. This is to help prove that you have the card on your person when you are making the transaction & that you are not reaming off numbers from other data. It's not foolproof but it has certainly helped against fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

Thanks Dudes:D

I just payed for a car rental over the phone and I was concerned when they asked me the 3 digit number so I am relaxed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

Advertisement