Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

R154 Drumree roundabout

Options
  • 05-08-2014 10:06pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know what the council are up to with the road surface here? They dumped a load of loose chippings on a surface that was fine from what I could see, and over patches that they had recently repaired to a high standard, now it's a very rough surface. I had thought it was temporary as it had the loose chippings sign (and the slow down sign which everyone ignores), and I assumed they'd put a final tarmac finish over it, but it seems not as they've now painted lines on the rough surface. :eek:

Why would they do this? Seems daft and a waste of money, unless I am completely missing something. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭sham58107

Tarmac finish is too slippery apparently,but very smooth

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

How could they not know that before putting smooth tarmac down only months ago?

They did the same on a backroad near Trim (Rathnally) - fixed up sections of it with lovely smooth tarmac, then a few weeks later lashed stone down on top of it without steamrolling. It's being torn up in parts already as it's not a proper finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

I was confused about this as well! I know on the backgrounds they just keep throwing chippings to resurface, but the R154 is a main route and is generally well maintained. If it's "too slippy" then why do they use it on motorways and dual carriageways (e.g. resurfacing on the N3 before Blanchardstown)?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭sham58107

Different grade of Tarmac used on motorways and actually the grade in Southern is lower than Northern.
    They seem to throw anything on backroads and leave enough excess chippings to do another 10k.
    But then it is not their money its OURS

• Registered Users Posts: 2 queenie 10

Maybe, you don't realise how many people have been killed on that road due to the surface being slippery !!!! My beautiful niece Karla was one of those people. She was killed when she lost control of her car and was hit by an oncoming truck.
    So, I think, they should do all they can to make this road safe. It's too late for Karla, but maybe some lives will be saved because of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

I drive that road every day to work. There is a section of the road that has had 'slippery surface' signs for at least the last year.

I have regularly seen cars off the road there (maybe one every 3-4 months)...

The wall on the left has been knocked over at least twice...

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/R154/@53.4604487,-6.518297,3a,75y,121.19h,81.95t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sydXWJE8uvSvGq891h1PQWA!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo1.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DydXWJE8uvSvGq891h1PQWA%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D100%26h%3D80%26yaw%3D3.6979187%26pitch%3D0!7i13312!8i6656!4m2!3m1!1s0x48676c428e8f7bfd:0x705cbea69605b8a

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Was roadworks from the Drumree roundabout heading toward Dublin for maybe a mile or so yesterday, looks like more surfacing work going on. Wasn't on it today so not sure what it's like now.

Always wondered about the "slippery road" signs that have gone up between Batterstown and M3 - at first I thought there must have been an oil spill or something, but they seem to be a permanent fixture now, yet the road never seems to be an slippier than anywhere else on the route, I don't get it. If they need people to slow down there, they should put rumble strips or traffic calming of some sort rather then signs which don't make sense.

There's also a bunch of traffic cones and temp light there now, up to yesterday no road works were being done on that part.

Advertisement