Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

*All* Carry-on Baggage charges Queries & Questions ...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

abff wrote: »
    Thanks. I thought that too until I printed off the boarding cards. The following wording appears:

Note the following baggage allowances which are strictly enforced.
    Standard Allowance: one piece within the size limits of 55cm x 40cm x 24cm and maximum weight of 10kg. Small ladies handbag or gents satchel within the size limits of 25cm x 33cm x 20cm, to be stowed under the seat in front.
    Enhanced allowance for Gold Circle, Business Class & Flex Fare customers: additional personal item such as a slimline laptop bag.

So as standard, you get a cabin bag (overhead) and a personal bag (under the seat). GC members get an additional bag (i.e. laptop bag).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,490 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It's usually only an issue on UK flights where almost everyone is carrying their own stuff and there's lots of business people with laptops so sometimes they will start confiscating bigger bags at the gate. On a flight to Faro there won't be so much pressure on the overhead bins so you should be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

They seem to be more interested in it though: I got a survey recently from Aer Lingus following a recent flight, and I was asked 3 times whether my carry on luggage was checked at the gate.

I hope they won't become like Ryanair now (even though they're not as bad as they used to be).

Please note those 'gents satchel' dimensions are barely enough to accommodate a standard laptop (my 14" work laptop is wider than 33cm). Of course I've never seen them take out a measuring tape :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

They seem to be more interested in it though: I got a survey recently from Aer Lingus following a recent flight, and I was asked 3 times whether my carry on luggage was checked at the gate.

I hope they won't become like Ryanair now (even though they're not as bad as they used to be).

Please note those 'gents satchel' dimensions are barely enough to accommodate a standard laptop (my 14" work laptop is wider than 33cm). Of course I've never seen them take out a measuring tape :)
    Every airline has a cabin baggage problem and every airline needs to enforce some form of policy and on some occasions offload or restrict the amount of trolley bags being taken into the cabin, as has been mentioned before there simply is not the physical space inside the cabin for everyone on a full flight to take cabin luggage onboard

Locker10a wrote: »
    Every airline has a cabin baggage problem and every airline needs to enforce some form of policy and on some occasions offload or restrict the amount of trolley bags being taken into the cabin, as has been mentioned before there simply is not the physical space inside the cabin for everyone on a full flight to take cabin luggage onboard

+1 But it was pretty obvious from the way that EI operated at the gates in Heathrow that their instructions were not to enforce the letter of the law unless the flight was above a certain % of the capacity in which case they started tagging bags and taking them from passengers at the gate.

I certainly saw it as them wanting to be seen as less aggressive on bags than FR and therefore able to keep the business people and other passengers prepared to pay extra to fly through LHR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

Thanks everyone. I decided not to take a chance on it and maybe just as well as the flight was pretty close to 100% full.

Anyway, arrived safely and on time and now enjoying this lovely balmy Portuguese evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

Locker10a wrote: »

I know - this is why with Aer Lingus I always make sure I sit in the back ("Zone A") so I can board first if I have a trolley with me... I don't want my trolley checked in.

Sitting at the emergency exits also helps because they'll reserve a slot for you (as it can't go under the seat there). So these are some tips if you want to make sure :) But of course this costs extra. And you still have to make sure you don't exceed the allowance of course! (I always make sure)

I hate the practice of not having enough space for everyone's allowance though (same as I hate overbooking) - I bring stuff in my carryon because it won't survive the rough handling. But these days I always make sure I have a little cloth bag I can put my laptop and other fragile stuff in to put it under the seat, if they do make me put my trolley in the hold. There's a lot more carryon cargo brought on lately due to the rise in baggage charges (especially with the new seasonal charges)

I know - this is why with Aer Lingus I always make sure I sit in the back ("Zone A") so I can board first if I have a trolley with me... I don't want my trolley checked in.

Sitting at the emergency exits also helps because they'll reserve a slot for you (as it can't go under the seat there). So these are some tips if you want to make sure :) But of course this costs extra. And you still have to make sure you don't exceed the allowance of course! (I always make sure)

I hate the practice of not having enough space for everyone's allowance though (same as I hate overbooking) - I bring stuff in my carryon because it won't survive the rough handling. But these days I always make sure I have a little cloth bag I can put my laptop and other fragile stuff in to put it under the seat, if they do make me put my trolley in the hold. There's a lot more carryon cargo brought on lately due to the rise in baggage charges (especially with the new seasonal charges)

The charges certainly contribute hugely to this problem but not exclusively as I know that British Airways have a huge cabin luggage problem and at one stage one third of all delays on BA flights were as a result of too much cabin luggage being brought into the cabin during boarding! BA management refused to tackle this issue at the gates as they didn't want to be seen going down the same road as the likes of Ryanair and easyJet so basically they just let everyone on with any amount of luggage and it caused chaos

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If it doesn't fit under the seat in front of you, check it in.

The piss takers with their enormous roll-on cases jammed sideways into the lockers wrecked it for everyone else. They should do away with the overhead lockers altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

spurious wrote: »
    If it doesn't fit under the seat in front of you, check it in.

The piss takers with their enormous roll-on cases jammed sideways into the lockers wrecked it for everyone else. They should do away with the overhead lockers altogether.

Not a bad idea. They could charge reasonable amounts for checkin baggage as everyone would have to check in their baggage apart from underseat baggage. I am just back from Lanzarote, Ryanair outbound, Aer Lingus return, both legs, I was asked to check in an additional piece of cabin luggage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,554 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I hope this is the correct place to post the question if not Mods please move it.

I am flying from Dublin to Portugal in the morning and I want to bring a hair clippers with me. Same as this

Do Ryanair permit them to be in a carry on bag?

Any help is appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Nothing to do with Ryanair, it's DAA security that will check, and I don't see any issue, have taken similar through plenty of times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,554 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Mena wrote: »
    Nothing to do with Ryanair, it's DAA security that will check, and I don't see any issue, have taken similar through plenty of times.

I cant see anything online but don't wanna get caught tomorrow or in Lisbon on the return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭Alrite Chief

Has anyone any experience carrying a suit bag along with their cabin bag as their second item? If its folded up from the end its neat and tidy but wouldn't meet the dimensions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

hi,
    im travelling out on Aerlingus and returning back to dublin on Ryanair.
    Im travelling with my 27month old daughter in her stroller.
    i dont have any checked luggage. travelling with hand luggage only.

is the stroller allowed for free on both ryanair and aerlingus?

ryanair faq talks about free stroller for infants only(nothing about children)
    aerlingus says free stroller check in under their checked baggage rules.(but nothing under hand luggage)

can anyone experienced confirm please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭daisydood

hi,
    im travelling out on Aerlingus and returning back to dublin on Ryanair.
    Im travelling with my 27month old daughter in her stroller.
    i dont have any checked luggage. travelling with hand luggage only.

is the stroller allowed for free on both ryanair and aerlingus?

ryanair faq talks about free stroller for infants only(nothing about children)
    aerlingus says free stroller check in under their checked baggage rules.(but nothing under hand luggage)

can anyone experienced confirm please?

Hi I can't comment on aer lingua but we flew with Ryanair this summer with a 4 year old (she never uses a stroller but I figured there would be lots of walking so I brought it) and there was no issues. Bring it up to check in desk as if your checking in a bag and they will put it on the belt or if you'd rather keep it until boarding they give you the label to put on and you leave it at side of plane and the guys put it on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

Hi. I'm flying Dublin to Hamburg tomorrow with Aer Lingus. Will I be allowed bring 2 backpacks with me as cabin baggage? They are not big rucksack type things, just regular 25L backpacks.

I'm also flying Oslo to Dublin next week. Will I be allowed the 2?

I know Ryanair now allow the 2 items of cabin baggage per person.

Thanks for any advice folks!

I see from Aer Lingus' website they allow the full size cabin case plus one smaller item like a laptop bag.
    http://www.aerlingus.com/travelinformation/baggageinformation/cabinbaggage/

SAS have a similar thing on their site:
    http://www.flysas.com/en/ie/travel-info/baggage/cabin-baggage/

Would I be able to get away with the 2 backpacks? What are peoples experiences.
    Should I ask the check in staff or would I only be shooting myself in the foot?
    What will happen if I present at the gate and they get contrary and say I can't bring 2? Will they fleece me raw to check it in?

Please help, only 13 hours to go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

You'll be fine on EI anyway & even if the flights fairly full, you can always stick one of them under the seat in front. Long time since I've gone with SAS, so not sure how strictly they enforce cabin baggage policy.

If there's an issue at the gate, they'll tag it and you'll pass it to a handler on the gangway & collect it from baggage reclaim at your destination. There won't be a charge for that either.

Really? That's pretty good! So you think I should chance it then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Yes I would. Aer Lingus from my experience are very relaxed when it comes to luggage issues, and at most they will just tell you that it will have to go in the hold but for free of charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Ask them can you check your hand luggage in at the desk. Then just give them one bag and take the other on. We did that this year...was so easy..5 bags on as hand luggage plus our suitcase and on we went.

mfceiling wrote: »
    Ask them can you check your hand luggage in at the desk. Then just give them one bag and take the other on. We did that this year...was so easy..5 bags on as hand luggage plus our suitcase and on we went.

If you check in hand luggage do you have to pay for it?

If you check in hand luggage do you have to pay for it?

Not a cent. Think they are happy for you to do this. Saves them time when it comes to getting everyone on and off the plane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Yes.

I travel with EI all the time and what you're planning to lug on is very unlikely to meet with resistance from a gate agent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,642 ✭✭✭✭fits

Same with SAS. They normally dont have hold baggage congestion though as most ticjets include a checked bag.

mfceiling wrote: »
    Not a cent. Think they are happy for you to do this. Saves them time when it comes to getting everyone on and off the plane.

And when you say at the desk, do you mean I give it to them at the check in desk in the terminal or at the desk at the gate right before boarding the plane?

By the way, thanks for the advice so far. It's putting my mind at ease somewhat. Keep it coming with the advice though, I'm not a frequent flyer and would hate for something to go wrong or be fleeced.

And when you say at the desk, do you mean I give it to them at the check in desk in the terminal or at the desk at the gate right before boarding the plane?

By the way, thanks for the advice so far. It's putting my mind at ease somewhat. Keep it coming with the advice though, I'm not a frequent flyer and would hate for something to go wrong or be fleeced.

We gave ours in at the check in desk both in dublin and milan. This was only last month. You'll have no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Oriordad

I am flying with family (2 AD & 2 kids) to Orlando via Newark out of Shannon on United Airlines. I am wondering can I get the full baggage allowance of 23kg for kids travelling or for adult only. Also can kids carry a full 10kg for cabin baggage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Oriordad wrote: »
    I am flying with family (2 AD & 2 kids) to Orlando via Newark out of Shannon on United Airlines. I am wondering can I get the full baggage allowance of 23kg for kids travelling or for adult only. Also can kids carry a full 10kg for cabin baggage.

Are they paying full adult fare?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Oriordad

They are paying as full price childrens fare which were cheaper than adult price but not much. They are not infants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,416 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

23kg each and 10kg carry on once they are fee paying.
    Checked baggage allowance for children

The standard checked baggage allowance applies to children with purchased tickets, including infants traveling internationally on 10 percent of an adult fare. If a child’s baggage allowance is exceeded, the excess will become part of the fare-paying adult's baggage allowance. All standard checked baggage restrictions and service charges apply.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/baggage/infant.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jogdish

I am traveling with aer lingus to berlin. I have not booked for checked baggage, now I am slightly worried. I would like to bring.

a) "school" backpack , wear on my back for my laptop

+
    b) small Helly hanson duffle bag 26cm x 53cm ( http://shop.hellyhansen.com/ie/item/packable-duffelbag-s-67824/?t_type=src&COLOR=990%20BLACK&t_type=cat )

They both seem to fit inside the allowed dimensions, but only just, anyone else any experience with aer lingus and backpack + small duffle ?

Thanks but I hoping to hear from someone with experience similar to mine, for example in the video on the aer lingus site it says, slim laptop bag is ok, while rucksack would not be, but yet my rucksack fits inside the dimensions of a carry on.
    Just curious how strict they are?

Aer Lingus are not at all strict, provided you don't take the total p1ss though a lot of grumpy passengers here and in the aviation forum complain about people who carry the kitchen sink on board and delay other passengers while they find spots to stow their multiple big bags in the overhead bins.

The worst that will happen you is that they will confiscate the bigger bag at the boarding gate to put in the hold but I've only ever seen that happen with afternoon flights to Dublin from Heathrow where most flights are pretty full and hardly anybody has checked in bags meaning that everyone is carrying overnight bags and a lot of laptops.

By the sound of it you will probably have less carry-on than most of the other passengers, you definitely won't have a problem on a flight to Berlin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭Damien360

As another poster said, aer lingus are not strict but they should be.

I was recently on a flight to Zurich and a flight to Brussels. On each flight, most people had massive bags as carry on resulting in no room for anyone else with genuine hand baggage size luggage.

Every single one of my aer lingus short haul flights are a pain in the arse to get space to even put a laptop bag up top and I end of having it under the seat in front.

Damien360 wrote: »
    As another poster said, aer lingus are not strict but they should be.

I was recently on a flight to Zurich and a flight to Brussels. On each flight, most people had massive bags as carry on resulting in no room for anyone else with genuine hand baggage size luggage.

Every single one of my aer lingus short haul flights are a pain in the arse to get space to even put a laptop bag up top and I end of having it under the seat in front.

Q.E.D.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Memories

Hello folks!

Question for you all, unfortunately last night I was admitted to A&E with bad tonsillitis and am now out of the hospital thankfully after being on drips all night and have been given the clearance to fly.

However, I am now on a crazy amount of tablets. I have 4 boxes and a mouthwash sort of thing. Nearly 45 tablets for my short 3 day trip. I'm flying from Dublin to Birmingham via Ryanair in 3 days time and using only hand luggage.

I've asked in both hospital and my pharmacist as to if I would need a letter or proof to fly with these and neither had any ideas as to what would happen and doubted I would need anything as the boxes obviously have my name and the pharmacy dosage sticker etc. I have no letter except for my hospital discharge letter and a work sick cert.

Could anyone please shed some light on the situation?
    Thanking you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭suds1984

https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/useful-info/help-centre/faq-overview#1-7. Only concern would be the liquid. Is it under 100ml? If not make sure it is labelled from the pharmacy that you got it from. Was told in Heathrow that prescribed medication is excempt from the 100ml/need to fit into plastic bag.

suds1984 wrote: »
    https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/useful-info/help-centre/faq-overview#1-7. Only concern would be the liquid. Is it under 100ml? If not make sure it is labelled from the pharmacy that you got it from. Was told in Heathrow that prescribed medication is excempt from the 100ml/need to fit into plastic bag.

+1 and baby food but as advised, make sure that you have the pharmacy label and if that's stuck to a box, put the bottle into it and bring that with you. Be sure to declare it when you get to the scanner, otherwise an officer having a bad day could get stroppy and delay you with a lecture.

The pills won't be a problem, I've never seen anyone pulled over at security and made to account for a bottle of tablets. Believe me, if pills were considered a security risk, none of us would be able to travel anywhere because the security queues would move even slower than they do now.

Memories wrote: »
    Hello folks!

Question for you all, unfortunately last night I was admitted to A&E with bad tonsillitis and am now out of the hospital thankfully after being on drips all night and have been given the clearance to fly.

However, I am now on a crazy amount of tablets. I have 4 boxes and a mouthwash sort of thing. Nearly 45 tablets for my short 3 day trip. I'm flying from Dublin to Birmingham via Ryanair in 3 days time and using only hand luggage.

I've asked in both hospital and my pharmacist as to if I would need a letter or proof to fly with these and neither had any ideas as to what would happen and doubted I would need anything as the boxes obviously have my name and the pharmacy dosage sticker etc. I have no letter except for my hospital discharge letter and a work sick cert.

Could anyone please shed some light on the situation?
    Thanking you.

Perhaps consider booking priority boarding if you require to keep your medication with you at all time, a limited number of Cabin Luggage will fit in the cabin and may be gate-checked, if you require your medication during the flight and your bag is gat-checked you will NOT be able to access it so if you require access at all time to your medication perhaps book priority boarding to ensure space for your bag as lockers fill up on a first come first serve basis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Another option would be to have it in a small bag in your carry on that you could take out and bring with you if your carry on is put in the hold.

Traveling from Dublin, would a travel kettle be ok to take in hand luggage past security ?

If not, does any know if you can purchase one after security in Dublin ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,796 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The questions in this forum get odder by the day... why wouldnt it be ok ? A travel kettle ? Not sure if you are being serious..

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »
    The questions in this forum get odder by the day... why wouldnt it be ok ? A travel kettle ? Not sure if you are being serious..

Once upon a time, water was ok. I dunno, weird object electric cable wire, trust me it being not allowed would not surprise me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,796 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Water ? You are not going to have the kettle full of water ? :p

OP you can bring a kettle. Or any other household appliance practicially that will fit in your carry on really... a cable cant do much damage to anyone.. a strange item ? Every house in Ireland has one not strange at all... airlines will have a list of prohibited items available on their website anyway... happy travels...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Yes, you can bring it through security no problem. I have done so. You can normally buy them after security too but there are normally quite expensive so it is probably better to buy before traveling. '

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm looking for a carry-on case. It needs to be compliant with SAS, Aer Lingus and Ryanair.
    Any particular brand I should look at? A preferred shop?

Plenty of options available out there if you bring your measuring tape. Debenhams have a good range and there are plenty of specialist luggage shops in the big shopping centres and downtown. Brands like Samsonite are expensive but very robust, you get what you pay for.

• Advertisement
Advertisement