Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rover 25 2003 Parts

• 22-02-2013 9:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hi,
    Looking at buying a rover 25 2003 it is coming at a good price.
    It just a starter car for my fiance to learn to drive in. Anyone have/had one of these any major issues?? One of the things i am a bit worried about as rover is gone is it going to be a nightmare getting spare parts if we run into any problems.Any feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers

Eoghan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 385 ✭✭Lawless2k12

All I can say is "Oh jaysus"... That's just from my own experiences of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

I had two and never found parts an issue. The only proper problem I had was with the Headgasket on one of them which wasnt the updated version.

I still really miss mine and would love to get another but its just too small for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 385 ✭✭Lawless2k12

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    I had two and never found parts an issue. The only proper problem I had was with the Headgasket on one of them which wasnt the updated version.

I still really miss mine and would love to get another but its just too small for me.

Headgasket blew on the only two that we ever had :mad: Also had suspension problem with one... the older model that was though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Head gaskets are the main problem in these. There is a modified gasket and kit you can get for them which apparently solves or at least makes them less prone to hg failure.

Starters can give trouble in them.

25's made up to circa 2003 were fitted with a peugeot gearbox and these can wear out over time. Later cars came with ford gearboxes and don't seem to give any gearbox issues.

From circa 2003 on 25s were fitted with a pektron bcu which controls the cars electrics. These are known to fail due to being made from cheap components. Some also fail due to water ingress from the bulkhead. When this unit fails it can cause all sorts if erratic problems such as a window not working or the horn not working etc.

Other than those issues, they can also rust badly around the front screen and around the sunroof (if fitted). The engines can also get very tappety in them over time which isnt really an issue in itself but is an annoyance imo.

As for parts you should have no issue getting mechanical parts from companies like sterling automotive in the UK. Certain body parts could be hard to get but many of these are in breakers yards at this stage so most bits should be easily got.

Tbh you'd probably be better off spending a little more money on a more reliable option like a fiesta or a starlet etc, even if it does mean going back in the years a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Sterling automotive has just gone into liquidation

• Advertisement

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Sterling automotive has just gone into liquidation
    I wasn't aware of that. Any link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    I wasn't aware of that. Any link?
    Main page on www.aronline.co.uk is running a story about it but I had heard a few weeks ago it was going to the wall

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Main page on www.aronline.co.uk is running a story about it but I had heard a few weeks ago it was going to the wall
    Thanks for the link. It's a shame that it's gone. It will make keeping old rovers on the road that little bit more difficult.

Advertisement