Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tyres with Soft Side Walls

Options
  • 22-02-2013 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭

My daughter drives a Honda Civic (2011). Car came with Bridgestone Turanza tyres (205/55/16). These tyres seem to have very stiff sidewalls.

The suspension of the car is quite hard: on secondary roads, every bump is transmitted through to your back. Nothing can be done with the suspension: but I think tyres with softer sidewalls would help.

I have been told that Semperit Speed-Life have softer sidewalls: is this correct?

Any other suggestions - established brands with softer sidewalls? (without deviating from 205/55/16)

- Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

I think you'd need to go to 195 / 60 s to get any improvement in ride that's noticeable .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Maybe tyre pressure is too high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Bridgestones have a very soft sidewall, your doing it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,280 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

205 55 16 are not exactly a low profile setup so a harsh ride would be unusual. Play with the tyre pressures alittle.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

I recommend ones below for soft tyre walls from my own experience

michelin energy saver
    uniroyal rainexpert/rainsport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah Uniroyals on low pressure can feel a little "floaty" so I put in a bit extra.
    Def not hard sidewalls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

I have the Semperit and they are softer than the Goodyear I had before.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Bigus wrote: »
    I think you'd need to go to 195 / 60 s to get any improvement in ride that's noticeable .

If 195s are fitted instead of the existing 205s, does that mean new alloy wheels as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Poulgorm wrote: »

If 195s are fitted instead of the existing 205s, does that mean new alloy wheels as well?

No, should be perfectly fine in most cases.

Advertisement