Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hassle/cost/pitfalls of buying brand new car in Northern Ireland or England

Options
  • 21-02-2013 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm not the most motor-literate of people, so please bear this in mind.

Is there much hassle or extra cost or pitfalls of buying a brand new car in Northern Ireland or England and bringing it home?

This is my story. My business needs a vehicle ASAP, i.e. in the next couple of weeks. For a number of reasons I won't go into here, I've decided to buy new.
    I know what I want, a basic, non-hi-spec, Toyota Hilux. I have the finance, but as I intend to buy new, I'm not going to buy a Chilli Red or Baby Blue.

Alas, I have to wait 'til May! I've said it before, and I'll say it again: "recession...what recession?"

I'm actually... totally exasperated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

You'll have to pay VAT for a start. However, there was a recent post from someone who says that the UK VAT paid can be claimed back from HMRC as you'll be paying VAT here in Ireland. I'll try to find the post.

You'll also have to pay VRT regardless of the age. See Calculator here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

If it's a single cab Hi-Lux then the VRT is €200.

If it's a double cab then it's 13.3% VRT, so a bit under €4,000 for a DLX and a bit over for an SR5 - presuming spec is the same in the UK as in Ireland (which it probably isn't being a Toyota).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

You'll have to pay VAT for a start. However, there was a recent post from someone who says that the UK VAT paid can be claimed back from HMRC as you'll be paying VAT here in Ireland. I'll try to find the post.

You'll also have to pay VRT regardless of the age. See Calculator here.

It's no hassle at all - our company just bought an 11-reg VW and it was quite straightforward.

OP - if you're buying new, to avoid having to pay VAT in N.I. and then reclaiming it after you pay it here : don't drive it from N.I. / UK. Have it collected by a transport company.

- If your company is paying for it, then have them pay for it, and invoiced to them with their VAT no, and so exempt from VAT at point of sale.

If you drive it off the lot, you have to pay N.I. VAT and then reclaim it from HMRC. You don't pay it if the car was exported without registering it or using it on the road.

You will of course, be paying it here. Lots of it. :D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement