Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prime ministers' salaries internationally

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭donaghs

Riskymove wrote: »
    they may, when everything is taken into account, earn more than his basic salary...but

....he gets a house, a jet, 24/7 security, a huge number of staff, limos, etc

Such rubbish, Cowen trotted out that line himself a while back.

Cowen can afford to live anywhere he wants (closer to work , etc), but like many a savvy politician he chooses to live amongst his constituents. He has the government jet, and 24/7 security (less due to a reduced threat) and so on.

And when he does travel to Dublin, or has to stay overnight, I wonder who's paying for it all? It's not coming out of his salary anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

donaghs wrote: »
    Such rubbish, Cowen trotted out that line himself a while back.

please read the OP

the comparison was a TD's wage with Obama's......not our Taoiseach's situation

I've said before, money should not be a motivational issue for someone wanting to work for the betterment of society.
    I accept that it shouldnt be the prime motivation but

my point is that people are not going to give up their business and go into politics for minimum wage

expecting people to go into politics on just minimum wage will attract, imo, either 2 kinds of people...people so wealthy that they dont need cash (see US politics) or very left wing types

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Frogeye wrote: »
    There was none of this political salary level talk when we were all playing the property game and winning pre 2008.

There are so many inaccuracies in your post I'm just going to pick out two.

1) There were complaints about the excessive salaries pre-2008
    2) We all didn't play the property game; some of us didn't even view it as a game or a "ladder"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭donaghs

please read the OP
    the comparison was a TD's wage with Obama's......not our Taoiseach's situation

Population of an Irish TD's Consituency: between 60,000 & 140,000 people.

Population of the US: 300,000,000+

But Obama gets to live in a museum for 4 years... :confused:

• Advertisement

donaghs wrote: »
    Population of an Irish TD's Consituency: between 60,000 & 140,000 people.

Population of the US: 300,000,000+

But Obama gets to live in a museum for 4 years... :confused:

look you can go off on any tangent you like

the point being made was if you take a TD's salary and put all the expenses on top they earn more than Obama

My point in reply is that you should add in all the allowances and extra costs for Obama if you want to make a proper comparison..thats it nothing more...I am not defending what TD's are making (or indeed what Obama is making) or any other claims about it

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    There are so many inaccuracies in your post I'm just going to pick out two.

1) There were complaints about the excessive salaries pre-2008
    2) We all didn't play the property game; some of us didn't even view it as a game or a "ladder"

Liam
    1) Okay point conceded. There were complaints, there are always complaints, but the fact the the country voted the FF government back in 2007 shows that it wasn't a big issue then to the majority of people. Its only become such an issue now because people have less and are pointing the finger at easy targets. Its not just the government, the oppostion didn't turn the pay rises down either.

2) Maybe you didn't view it as a ladder, i didn't either but a huge amount of people did. They bought houses etc thinking they could flip them for a quick profit and trade up and carry on. When they got burnt they blame the government. People need to accept some responsiblity for their actions.

By the way, I'm not justifying/supporting political salaries etc, just making the case that the people of the country need to accept some blame not just the politicans they voted in!

Frogeye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Shea O'Meara

expecting people to go into politics on just minimum wage will attract, imo, either 2 kinds of people...people so wealthy that they dont need cash (see US politics) or very left wing types
    So right wing types value their politician's salary/expenses over their politics? 'I really care about this country, I'm honoured to be elected, but the money just ain't doing it for me'?
    There's a third type; people who can 'get by', on say the average national wage, and also want to work for the betterment of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

I accept that it shouldnt be the prime motivation but

my point is that people are not going to give up their business and go into politics for minimum wage

in US top people from private sector regularly go into public sector /gov jobs for several years and not all them are rich. The public pay there is lower than here for most jobs too. Irish judges get more than supreme court judge get! Irish military chief gets more than the american equivalent who has 100times more resources to manage. Madness in a mad deluded country. alas the day of reckoning is near for the overpaid spoofers in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

look you can go off on any tangent you like

the point being made was if you take a TD's salary and put all the expenses on top they earn more than Obama

My point in reply is that you should add in all the allowances and extra costs for Obama if you want to make a proper comparison..thats it nothing more...I am not defending what TD's are making (or indeed what Obama is making) or any other claims about it
    A TD is just a TD. And our government ministers are ministers in a small republic. President Obama needs, for example, Air Force One not just as a private jet, but as an EM hardened aerial command centre in the event of a nuclear war, where he has his hand on the button.

All our ministers get their hands on in government helicopters and jets is a glass of bubbly.

Our lot are overpaid by any standard, beginning with the results they deliver.

• Advertisement

Frogeye wrote: »
    There were complaints, there are always complaints, but the fact the the country voted the FF government back in 2007 shows that it wasn't a big issue then to the majority of people.

were many other parties promising to reduce salaries as part of their election campaign?

in US top people from private sector regularly go into public sector /gov jobs for several years and not all them are rich.

there are always exceptions......but I believe the majority would be quite well off

Irish judges get more than supreme court judge get! Irish military chief gets more than the american equivalent who has 100times more resources to manage.

judiciary and military are not politicians

Nijmegen wrote: »
    A TD is just a TD. And our government ministers are ministers in a small republic. President Obama needs, for example, Air Force One not just as a private jet, but as an EM hardened aerial command centre in the event of a nuclear war, where he has his hand on the button.

All our ministers get their hands on in government helicopters and jets is a glass of bubbly.

Our lot are overpaid by any standard, beginning with the results they deliver.

you are still missing my point...I simply took issue with the particular apporach to the comparison of salary levels....I am not defending any salary levels or whats expected of TDs or the need for Air Force One!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

you are still missing my point...I simply took issue with the particular apporach to the comparison of salary levels....I am not defending any salary levels or whats expected of TDs or the need for Air Force One!
    Ok... How about this then: A TD on €100,000 is more than 3x the average wage of his constituents. It is comparible pay to that of a company director, with executive functions. Or a highly skilled expert (of which we have few, in the Dail.)

They are overpaid.

Nijmegen wrote: »
    They are overpaid.

hhmmmm..I'll try again......ok then how about this....

I never said they weren't!!

Advertisement