Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Suggest a car derived van

Options
  • 17-02-2013 1:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭

As I sold my astra h I'm looking for a replacement car/van.
    Requirements are
    Engine 1.4-1.9l diesel obviously.
    Year 2005-2008.
    Has to be reliable.
    Preferably under 160k km but can have slightly more.
    A few extras would be nice.
    I'm currently looking at the likes of astra h coupe type van 1.7, focus 1.6 or 1.8tdci, auris van 1.4d4d. Is there any other vans I should consider? Also if anyone sees any for sale I'd appreciate it if you could post up the links. Budget ideally 5k euro maybe slightly more. So at that budget I'm looking for stuff that's at a good deal. Any advice opinions etc would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Not sure if it might be a bit on the compact side for you but said I'd throw the idea of a Peugeot 206 hdi out to you.

I'll throw this one out to you as an example. To be honest the asking price does seem a bit on the steep side for a six year old Peugeot 206 but then again all them small capacity diesels are overpriced if you ask me. Mileage is on the low side at circa 55,000 miles and he mentions it was just DOE'd.

Reliability? I know the 2.0 hdi Peugeot is considered a pretty reliable machine. Not sure what way the 1.4 hdi is. Maybe somebody more in the know might fill us in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

How about this
    http://www.adverts.ie/car/jaguar/x-type/2006-jaguar-x-type-diesel-estate-for-sale/2631403

and convert it to a van. Something different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

That 206 looks clean but the but surly they must be really slow I think they are only 70bhp. And it is slightly too small. As for the jag it's lovely but I'm looking for something that's already converted and insurance may be an issue as I want to just transfer my commerical insurance from my last van. Thanks for all the suggestions and keep them coming thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭sanbrafyffe

do the fiat stilo's do car dervived vans

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

This one seems to be in your budget and low mileage aswell.

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/commercials/4587208

• Advertisement

leeomurchu wrote: »

That guy has 3 of them I was thinking of going looking at them alright. Thanks for the suggestion.

I don't thing the Jag conversion is that big a deal, remove back seats and seatbelts, weld up seatbelt mounts and put in a flat floor and black out the side windows. Have it DOe'd and you need a "suitably qualified person" to inspect it and submit the paperwork to Revenue.

If I ever get the money I'll be doing it to a 320 mercedes estate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

trad wrote: »
    I don't thing the Jag conversion is that big a deal, remove back seats and seatbelts, weld up seatbelt mounts and put in a flat floor and black out the side windows. Have it DOe'd and you need a "suitably qualified person" to inspect it and submit the paperwork to Revenue.

If I ever get the money I'll be doing it to a 320 mercedes estate.

are you sure about this?
    The seatbelt mounts welded and a floor inserted is all revenue require?

Would love to get mondeo estate converted if that's the case!

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

leeomurchu wrote: »

Company I work for hired a lot of Ford Focus vans over the last few years & they were really reliable vans with plenty of poke in the 1.9 tdci engines. Would definately recommend you consider them.

• Advertisement

are you sure about this?
    The seatbelt mounts welded and a floor inserted is all revenue require?

Would love to get mondeo estate converted if that's the case!

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/forms/vehicle-conversion-declaration.doc

You fill out the form and send it off. VRT is already paid so no big surprises.

Seamu$ wrote: »
    Company I work for hired a lot of Ford Focus vans over the last few years & they were really reliable vans with plenty of poke in the 1.9 tdci engines. Would definately recommend you consider them.

The two vans at the top of my list at the moment are the focus and the auris van. It just getting a decent one within budget really is the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Bpmull wrote: »
    The two vans at the top of my list at the moment are the focus and the auris van. It just getting a decent one within budget really is the problem.

Haven't looked them up or that but I'd imagine you'd be pretty hard pressed to get an Auris van for around €5k. Still though possibly worth paying that little bit of a premium for one. I haven't drove an Auris d4d but drove a Corolla 1.4 d4d van. It was a cracked to be fair. For such a small capacity diesel it was surprisignly nippy and really light on juice.

Would think you wont go too far wrong with a Focus van also if you find one that was minded reasonably well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

OP want to join the club...? An 05 :D

Linky

Thanks to Colm for pointing it out :)

Haven't looked them up or that but I'd imagine you'd be pretty hard pressed to get an Auris van for around €5k. Still though possibly worth paying that little bit of a premium for one. I haven't drove an Auris d4d but drove a Corolla 1.4 d4d van. It was a cracked to be fair. For such a small capacity diesel it was surprisignly nippy and really light on juice.

Would think you wont go too far wrong with a Focus van also if you find one that was minded reasonably well...

We owned a corolla van 1.4d4d 2006 for about two years and it was a great van and I couldn't fault it. Your right the auris is a bit out of budget. We've looked at four focuses now and all have been wrecked one was crashed too. They are hard to get clean. We have tracked down a very clean one but its over budget which wouldn't leave any contingency for future problems. Ill eventually find a nice one. I never really appreciated how clean my own astra van was until I sold it and seen all the wrecked stuff. I still think I made the right choice I got a very good price for my astra and I was just sick of the 1.3 engine tbh. It was dangerously slow in first gear taking off at roundabouts etc. if it had a 1.7 engine Id still have it. What are the 1.6 focuses like to drive I know they would be a rocket but surly there not that slow either?

RoverJames wrote: »
    Grande Punto..

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/commercials/3994565

Lovely van if it didn't have the 1.3 engine. It's the reason I sold my last van I am not going back to 1.3 tbh. Grand engine when its in boost but when out off boost its dead and as for taking of at roundabouts I was just sick of. But thanks for the suggestion it looks like a really nice vans.

Just an update. Collect my new van this morning it's a focus 2007 1.6tdci with a few extras. It was really well minded and only has 107k km on it and it feels like a new car to drive no noises or rattles. I'm delighted with it. It was slightly over the 5k budget but it was worth it to get a nice one. You'll see a picture in the motor chat thread. Thanks to everyone for making your suggestions. I really appreciate it.

Advertisement