Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice on picking a car

Options
  • 21-02-2013 8:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hello all,
    Long time reader, 1st time poster - need some specific advice pls.
    I have 15 yr old Micra which I love but it is falling to pieces at this stage. It has a fuel leak which will cost E350 to fix, plus 2 windows won't wind down properly, and I am sure the NCT people will find something else - so all in all, I think I'll have to bite bullet and think about replacing it.
    Money is tight, but at the same time I am reluctant to buy anything over 10 yrs old as I've seen with the Micra how much maintenance an older car needs. I am not bothered about engine performance - I'd like a 1 litre car or similar. For the most part, I drive locally, with 3hr journeys maybe once every 6 weeks or so. (I am used to the Micra so climbing slowly up hills doesn't bother me!).
    I know feck all about cars, but I would be aiming for smth bigger than a Micra. I have 2 children and already their legs are truncated in the back :-) I was thinking of something along the lines of Ford Focus size-wise. If anyone could offer any suggestions, I would be most grateful.
    Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

It will be difficult to stay with a 1 litre and go up in size of car....If you can live with the size, I would just buy a newer 5 dr micra. They are very reliable and if you buy well (ie - bring someone that knows about oily bits) you shouldn't have much maintenance to do for the first while anyway.

If you definitely want to go up a size, a focus is a pretty good bet. They are very cheap now (€1500 will probably get you an 02/03

something like this maybe
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4609032

Just be aware, once you go over 1 litre, your tax will pretty much double.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Barry Barry

Whats your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 DocMcStuffins

Thanks for replies.
    I am pretty sure I would like to go up in actual size - I understand the tax will go up, and I presume fuel consumption will go up too?
    My budget would be not any higher than 4K.
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

A focus as mentioned by another poster is a good car and is reliable. In 1.4 form though they are underpowered, the 1.6 focus better in this regard but might be too big of a step for you.

A Corolla is another good car which is very reliable and unlike the focus, it has decent performance for a 1.4. It is also very economical and cheap to maintain.

My last suggestion is a Mazda 3. Again these are very reliable and have adaquete performance for a 1.4. The interior quality in them is not as good as a corollas though imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

How much are you willing to spend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Something like this 04 civic, very big inside, very reliable and as air conditioning

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4435327

€3400

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭vectra

^^ I am with the Civic.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Something like this 04 civic, very big inside, very reliable and as air conditioning

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4435327

€3400
    Nice Car but keep in mind the issues these give with the power steering and gearbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 DocMcStuffins

Thank you.
    MugMugs- I am will to spend up to 4K.
    Actually I don't mind diving into the savings for this spend and to pay the tax. Its more the week-by-week outlay on petrol that I am bothered about. Something that is economical and reliable are probably my top priorities and that is why I am leaning towards a Corolla based on the feedback from JohnBoy26.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Problem with corolla is they command a premium, even the knackered ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Nice Car but keep in mind the issues these give with the power steering and gearbox.

Is that issue not with Electric power steering on later models?

Is that issue not with Electric power steering on later models?
    No that very model linked. 00-05 hatchbacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

^^
    +1

Thats a nice car for very reasonable money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭anoda_username

bazz26 wrote: »

This car is up as sold priced at 3200 and with 130,000 miles add from 2 days ago

Below appears to be the same car up for 2950 and 130,000km put up today

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4615985

Advertisement