Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lock nut removal,broken nut

Options
  • 22-02-2013 2:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭

Hi all im wondering if anybody can help me or has any advice,kinda tricky to explain ,I was replacing the locknuts on my car with regular nuts and three of them came off without any problems but the fourth one is proving very difficult to remove,

Basically the problem is that when I place they key down on the nut and turn it just slips off the bottom part of the nut(the rusted part) and the top part of the nut just spins loosely to no effect,I went to a local garage and he used the impact socket and hammer technique to try remove it but this didnt work as the socket only caught onto the top part of the nut which has become seperate from the bottom part and just spins without affecting the bottom part of the nut,also theres no point in welding anything to the top of the nut as its not connected to the bottom part

I visited a main dealer and they quoted almost 250 for removal which nearly caused me heart failure as they said they would cut it off but would have to replace the whole hub

Any advice greatly appreciated

Comments

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_196491_langId_-1_categoryId_255216

Never used them but I know one or two people who have and reckon they work in most cases.

I got a garage to weld a piece onto the lockig nuts years back, they charged small enough money but there's a risk of scorching the wheel.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,434 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I had a similar issue before. What I got was another nut, that was just slightly too small to fit over the lock nut. Walloped it on with a hammer, than just took off that new nut with a normal socket. Did that for four tyres and it worked a treat!

Just so you know, you will shred the threads on the new nut, and you may reshape the lock nut. But once its stuck on by force, it will come right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

It may be possible to weld them actually. :)

Try to weld them like here:

242164.jpg

All the gaps.

Then use that halfords tool posted above.

Otherwise, will you show a photo of your locking key? Maybe there would be a chance to modify it somehow to do the job. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

In the interest of not wanting to see anybody getting killed from doing a weld on a wheel with the tyre still attached, watch the vid in post#1 of the link;

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=39368

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

joujoujou wrote: »
    It may be possible to weld them actually. :)

Try to weld them like here:

242164.jpg

All the gaps.

Then use that halfords tool posted above.

Otherwise, will you show a photo of your locking key? Maybe there would be a chance to modify it somehow to do the job. :cool:

thats actually a pretty good Idea,must try find somebody with a welder,although theres very little space between the nut and wheel so i dont know if a welder would fit maybe it would as i-ve never used a welder before,but if it worked that could be the solution as the top part of what you have highlighted turns no bother,its just not connected to the bottom bit anymore so it spins aimlessly and when i put the key over the bottom part it just slips off the bottom bit,i-ll try put up a pic of the key when i get home ,its almost identical to this tho http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mS38BGvARwCW0Yc57zb_Jhg.jpg (just not as shiny) many thanks ;-)

• Advertisement
    Unregistered Users

In the interest of not wanting to see anybody getting killed from doing a weld on a wheel with the tyre still attached, watch the vid in post#1 of the link;

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=39368

If you gonna weld a rim, yes. :D

If that's a rim from a bus/truck, yes. :D

If in doubt your car is a bus/truck/lorry/tractor - bleed the air off the wheel. ;)

I like that video, by the way. :)

antodeco wrote: »
    I had a similar issue before. What I got was another nut, that was just slightly too small to fit over the lock nut. Walloped it on with a hammer, than just took off that new nut with a normal socket. Did that for four tyres and it worked a treat!

Just so you know, you will shred the threads on the new nut, and you may reshape the lock nut. But once its stuck on by force, it will come right off.
    thanks for the tip,problem is I tried that but as the top part of my locknut is seperated from the bottom and is also slightly larger than the bottom bit when I hammered the smaller nut on it didnt make contact with the bottom part of the lock nut and only the top part spun,if you know what i mean,kinda hard to explain

Unregistered Users

triple-M wrote: »
    [...] when i put the key over the bottom part it just slips off the bottom bit [...]

So I guess there's something like teeth inside that key and they're rounded/worn slightly, is that right?

If yes, try to lower that key a little bit using an angle grinder (make sure not to heat up that key too much, because it may go off its hardness).

joujoujou wrote: »
    So I guess there's something like teeth inside that key and they're rounded/worn slightly, is that right?

If yes, try to lower that key a little bit using an angle grinder (make sure not to heat up that key too much, because it may go off its hardness).
    to be honest the key looks fine as it removed the other 3 easily,its the nut itself which is breaking my heart

Advertisement