Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CANADIENS DEAL GOALTENDER HALAK TO BLUES

Options
  • 17-06-2010 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=324934
    The Montreal Canadiens dealt the goaltender who led them through their postseason run, as the club has traded Jaroslav Halak to the St. Louis Blues.

Details to follow.

WOW !!!

This is the first big trade to come down the pipeline before the NHL Entry Draft. Halak had asked for a trade mid-season so that he could have the opportunity to be a true #1 goaltender elsewhere.

He was eligible for Salary Arbitration. I guess Les Habs figure it would be better to move him out of the conference than pay him.

I am very interested to see what they will get in exchange for Halak.

All of this being said, I have to admit that I will never understand the love affair with Carey Price.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

UPDATE:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=324934
    The Montreal Canadiens dealt the goaltender who led them through their incredible postseason run, as the club has traded Jaroslav Halak to the St. Louis Blues.

In return, the Habs receive forward Lars Eller and forward Ian Schultz.

Eller, 21, suited for seven games with the Blues in 2009-10, scoring twice. He played with the Blues' AHL affiliate in Peoria last season where he tallied 57 points in 70 games. The Danish forward, who also played in the American Hockey League All-Star Game, finished 9th in the AHL with 22 powerplay assists.

A native of Herlev, in Denmark, Eller was a first round selection, 13th overall by the St. Louis Blues in the 2007 draft.

Schultz, 20, played in 2009-10 with the Calgary Hitman, tallying 55 points in 70 games with 150 penalty minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

All of this being said, I have to admit that I will never understand the love affair with Carey Price.

Carey Price is a brilliant goaltender. He started the all-star game in 2009 and has a whole load of awards. He is only 22 and has a long career ahead of him. I will never understand the hate towards him. Yes Halak had an unbelievable playoffs this year and I love him for that but it was new contract time and they have been shopping him out for the last 6 months.
    I thought they might have kept both of them for another year but that's just the way it goes

He had a great start to the 2008-2009 season, but went into a slide after that.

What meaningful NHL awards has he won ?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Izy

the only reason he started the all star was the fact that it was played in montreal and all their fans went crazy voting for their players...

on d deal... montreal will miss the playoffs next year!!! got rid of their number 1 goalie for nothing in return really, the pressure on price will be even bigger and we all now how did that go all year long

Izy wrote: »
    the only reason he started the all star was the fact that it was played in montreal and all their fans went crazy voting for their players...

on d deal... montreal will miss the playoffs next year!!! got rid of their number 1 goalie for nothing in return really, the pressure on price will be even bigger and we all now how did that go all year long

Montreal also screwed up by dealing Halak before offering Price a contract. Price now is holding all of the chips in negotiations.

• Advertisement

wouldnt surprise me to see nabokov, turco ar even theodore in montreal for a 1 maybe 2 years...
    price is not ready to be a no.1 goalie

Izy wrote: »
    wouldnt surprise me to see nabokov, turco ar even theodore in montreal for a 1 maybe 2 years...
    price is not ready to be a no.1 goalie

You're talking about big money for one of thsoe three UFAs. Montreal is still hamstrung with the salaries that Bob Gainey added before leaving last summer.

but price surely wont get big money so u never know... watch this space..

After trading for Dan Ellis (which was a great move by Les Habs), it looks as though he will not be re-signed and allowed to enter free agency.

The Habs have now signed Alex Auld to a one year deal to back up Price.

Advertisement