Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC One Faults thread (serial numbers & LCD panel models wanted)

Options
  • 14-04-2013 2:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

Trying to find out what is a good batch and whats not for the HTC One so can anyone who has a good or a bad HTC One take a look at the thread below on serial numbering of the phones and faults associated with them and post your serial numbers and a bullet point list of faults with your unit (or if its perfect please say so). Its a €600 phone and everyone is entitled to good product.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2209277

Mine is

FA33CW = 2013 March 12th (FA = possibly Argentinian origin)

[*]raised screen at top lower at bottom

[*]front fascia lower than polycarbonate center piece = sharp ridges at base and exposed polycarbonate ridge at top

[*]poor battery performance, 6hrs light usage (15mins calls, blinkfeed 30mins, music playback 1hr, 5 email addresses in HTC Mail app being checked till 10%)

[*]power button rocks side to side (I don't know if this by design or not)

[*]stuck pixel near top of screen

[*]poor finishing on inside of 3.5mm jack

Also please check what panel is being used in your phone and tell the rest of us. Thread is here for the how to and more importantly the why as they vary wildly in brightness, contrast and maybe quality. I used Firefox on the One to open the "last_kmsg" file with the info needed and then used the find in page function to check (the Opera browser crapped itself trying to do this)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2202869

Mine is

M7 JDI Samsung C2 2 = Generally good news

Mods: This is duplicate post of another in the HTC One Megathread. I know the no dupes rule but I'm not sure where this is best placed so please feel free to delete whichever you feel is inappropriate and sorry for the hassle. Cheers.

Comments

You've posted a bad link, and it's highly unlikely that your battery life is related to the build issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Blinked_Missed It

Basil3 wrote: »
    You've posted a bad link, and it's highly unlikely that your battery life is related to the build issues.

Cheers for the heads up on the faulty links. Don't know how that happened as I just copied and pasted from the other thread. Replaced the links now and should be working fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭motownman

Getting this message frequently around Dublin.

"unable to contact the location service to update your current location"

This issue predates the HTC One but it's very disappointing to find it still there on a brand new device.

motownman wrote: »
    Getting this message frequently around Dublin.

"unable to contact the location service to update your current location"

This issue predates the HTC One but it's very disappointing to find it still there on a brand new device.

How do you mean the issue predates the HTC One. If it exists on other phones perhaps its a network issue.

How do you mean the issue predates the HTC One. If it exists on other phones perhaps its a network issue.

It pops up on android forums elsewhere as an issue people have had.

My problem is that, on the same network, I did not have this problem with the One X but have only run into it with the One.

• Advertisement

It pops up on android forums elsewhere as an issue people have had.

My problem is that, on the same network, I did not have this problem with the One X but have only run into it with the One.

Interesting. Perhaps its 2 or more apps making a call to the same service at the same time and causing a conflict. Can you check to see what apps may be using the location service at the time the error happens (like Accuweather or Maps)

Interesting. Perhaps its 2 or more apps making a call to the same service at the same time and causing a conflict. Can you check to see what apps may be using the location service at the time the error happens (like Accuweather or Maps)

I will do that. I am at home now and it is showing my actual location. How would I check specifically which apps are using the location service at the same time?

I will do that. I am at home now and it is showing my actual location. How would I check specifically which apps are using the location service at the same time?

Googled at bit but couldn't find a way to check it. Only way I can think of it to use a free taskkiller from teh play store to stop all apps using the service the moment it displays the error then open 1 app again to see if it can successfully use the location service. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

I got a response from HTC to resolve the locations issue with the weather app.

I am just wondering if the tech savvy members of this forum know what this set of instructions is doing? Thanks in advance.

Thank you for your email,
    Please follow the below steps:
    1-Press and hold the Power and Volume down keys for approximately 15 seconds.
    2-The screen will turn off, and then after a few seconds, the bootloader will appear, at which point release the Power and Volume down keys.
    3-Press the Volume down key once to highlight RECOVERY then press the power button
    4-Wait until RED TRAINGLE appear on the screen
    5-press and hold the volume up button and press and release the power button
    6-REBOOT SYSTEM now appears highlighted , release the volume up and click on volume down until WIPE CASHE PARTITON is highlighted ,press the power button
    7-when (CASHE WIPE COMPLETE) appear in yellow
    8-Press the power button

Then perform the below action:
    1.Please make sure you can access internet and enable the option of Google's location service (settings > location).

I am just wondering if the tech savvy members of this forum know what this set of instructions is doing? Thanks in advance.

2-The screen will turn off, and then after a few seconds, the bootloader will appear, at which point release the Power and Volume down keys.
    3-Press the Volume down key once to highlight RECOVERY then press the power button
    6-REBOOT SYSTEM now appears highlighted , release the volume up and click on volume down until WIPE CASHE PARTITON is highlighted ,press the power button
    8-Press the power button

1.Please make sure you can access internet and enable the option of Google's location service (settings > location).

Wiping cache is normally something you do when you flash a new ROM, will remove android cache data which can sometimes lead to crashes with the system etc.

Is someone saying this might help with your location issues?

• Advertisement

8-Press the power button

Its wiping the data cache (hes written it CASHE) in order to flush out any issue with the cache data, accumulated through app usage, becoming corrupt. It can be useful and you might as well try it but it is a standard form response from their tech guys. At least he's not like Dell support telling you to flash the whole phone (the tech support equivalent of firing a nuclear weapon to kill a mouse)

Whenever your doing things involving the recovery menu its always good to do a backup of the phone beforehand just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

This is basically deleting all the temporary stored data on the phone. Htc are presuming that the apps that are conflicting with the weather data can resolve their differences by starting up afresh on restart.

If you do this, the restart may take a little longer than usual.

Another option is to navigate directly to settings, apps, running apps and wiping the data for weather or accuweather alone. You have the option there to stop and wipe individual apps without downloading a task killer app from the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

mine is FA33TW - absolutely no issues - hardware is perfect, (and no software issues so far, after 3 days)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

mine is FA33TW - absolutely no issues - hardware is perfect, (and no software issues so far, after 3 days)

I forgot to add to the above, FA33y sim free expansys, received last Thursday. Absolutely Perfect. I'll check the screen code when I have time.

Well I went through the full set of instructions provided by HTC.

Some of those bootloader fonts are microscopic!

I can't tell yet if this worked although, where prior to doing this, it showed my location as the area in Dublin that I live, now it just says Dublin.

I suppose I will just have to wait and see,

Thanks for all the explanations/advice.

Replacement came from emobile. In fairness sent back on Monday, replacement here on Wednesday so can't complain about turnaround.

But faulty again.
    Same front overhang with sharp edges at bottom left & right particularly.
    LCD not flush with the body
    Very slight gap at the top
    Poor finishing on the headphone jack (i'm pretty sure as its only on the inside this would wear down to a smooth finish with use so no biggie)
    Dead pixel (meh its a 1080p screen & only 1 pixel so you really need to be a little anal to care or be able to see it in normal use).

Its better than the last one as their is less overhang and less of a ridge on the lcd panel fitting. But again its the same batch FA33CW = 2013 March 12th in the same factory.

Emobile (very nice and helpful guy on the phone with battles) say they are out of stock until next week (although he honestly couldn't be sure of an exact date so I'd say the next delivery will be from a different, and hopefully later batch). Jiffy bag time again. Fingers crossed for the next batch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Replacement came from emobile. In fairness sent back on Monday, replacement here on Wednesday so can't complain about turnaround.

But faulty again.
    Same front overhang with sharp edges at bottom left & right particularly.
    LCD not flush with the body
    Very slight gap at the top
    Poor finishing on the headphone jack (i'm pretty sure as its only on the inside this would wear down to a smooth finish with use so no biggie)
    Dead pixel (meh its a 1080p screen & only 1 pixel so you really need to be a little anal to care or be able to see it in normal use).

Its better than the last one as their is less overhang and less of a ridge on the lcd panel fitting. But again its the same batch FA33CW = 2013 March 12th in the same factory.

Emobile (very nice and helpful guy on the phone with battles) say they are out of stock until next week (although he honestly couldn't be sure of an exact date so I'd say the next delivery will be from a different, and hopefully later batch). Jiffy bag time again. Fingers crossed for the next batch.

To be honest the small overhang wouldn't bother me, but a dead pixel would be like torture for me, I don't own a HTC One so i don't know how noticeable one pixel would be.

My last phone there was a tiny piece of dust under the cover, drove me nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭DublinBeaker

Waiting to get one of these when they are in stock, should I be having second thoughts about this ?

Xperia Z maybe ?

Waiting to get one of these when they are in stock, should I be having second thoughts about this ?

Xperia Z maybe ?

I do think there was a rush to get them out by HTC but I also think many have received perfect units.

99% of people who receive perfect product won't comment positively.
    99% of people who receive faulty product will comment negatively (like me)

It does depend on what features you want. HTC in the media and pub phone. Stunning audio (speakers & headphone jack), very clean interface, low light shots in pubs should be clear enough to be the stuff of nightmares for your mates. Blindingly fast on bootup and use. (BTW people don't mention the benefits of a fast boot: If your running very low on battery and need to turn off the One boots back up to check for missed calls, emails & sms in 8 seconds to check and shut down again quickly)

Xperia: Water resistant, takes a fall better than anything according to many reviews. Screen is bigger but much duller (get a good wallpaper to minimize this). Speakers don't compare to the One, Its a more square brick shape than the One but less slippery in that. There is some lag I've noticed in reviews and from playing with my mates Z but a custom Rom should solve all problems there. Concerned about the longevity of the water-proof flaps though.

2 phones, both made for the Irish. The One for the pubs, the Z for the weather. Your choice depending on your lifestyle.

You have to realise that the average consumer wouldn't notice many faults that you or I might return a phone for.

I know my girlfriend wouldn't notice the gaps, overhand, stuck pixels. Not a chance.

She would notice if facebook wasn't working though :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭DublinBeaker

I do think there was a rush to get them out by HTC but I also think many have received perfect units.

99% of people who receive perfect product won't comment positively.
    99% of people who receive faulty product will comment negatively (like me)

It does depend on what features you want. HTC in the media and pub phone. Stunning audio (speakers & headphone jack), very clean interface, low light shots in pubs should be clear enough to be the stuff of nightmares for your mates. Blindingly fast on bootup and use. (BTW people don't mention the benefits of a fast boot: If your running very low on battery and need to turn off the One boots back up to check for missed calls, emails & sms in 8 seconds to check and shut down again quickly)

Xperia: Water resistant, takes a fall better than anything according to many reviews. Screen is bigger but much duller (get a good wallpaper to minimize this). Speakers don't compare to the One, Its a more square brick shape than the One but less slippery in that. There is some lag I've noticed in reviews and from playing with my mates Z but a custom Rom should solve all problems there. Concerned about the longevity of the water-proof flaps though.

2 phones, both made for the Irish. The One for the pubs, the Z for the weather. Your choice depending on your lifestyle.

Thanks for the detailed analysis, think I will just wait for the One.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

I've got the same batch number as the OP, with some similar issues.

- The headphone jack is hard to tell. It does look rough in places, but I'm not sure if that's just where the angle changes as it intersects with the back cover. Although there does seem to be a slight notch on the outside on the polycarbonate strip
    - The screen is slightly raised at the front, and lower at the bottom, compared to the speaker grilles. If feels a little, rough, but not quite sharp.
    - However, if you look down along the length of the phone, there's a bit just off centre where the lower grille is almost flush the the screen, but it's definitely slightly higher at the edges, which is more worrying, as the grille looks slightly distorted
    - The power button is slightly at an angle - it protrudes a tiny bit more on the side nearer the phone edge. I think - it's marginal and may be an illusion
    - I haven't used the speakers that much, but I have heard some popping on occasion. Oddly, I think I've also heard it a couple of times while the volume's been at 0.

Tbh, I probably wouldn't have noticed a lot of those if I hadn't been looking for them. The slight lip at the bottom of the screen and the speaker issue are the only two, and if the speakers are popping then it's definitely going back.

Aside from that though,it's a fantastic piece of kit, and I'll definitely be sticking with the same model.

Advertisement