Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Luas tram confusion

Options
  • 27-05-2008 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Did anyone read the front of the Herald AM this morning?

Basically the article was about striking train drivers but it also mentioned that new luas trams were to be unveiled to start operation on the red line.

Have they got this mixed up with the 30 - 40 metre tram extension that has been ongoing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

there was something about the new trams in the indo today too

• Registered Users Posts: 14,794 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

its just the completion of the 30 -> 40 metre extension program on the Red Line. I believe they have plans to further extend to 50m, though how they can do this without extending the platforms, i don't know. Doesn't do much for the lack of priority the trams get in the city-centre either.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 371 ✭✭Traffic

all platforms are to be extended

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

and in terms of widening as opposed to lengthening...
    Luas Red Line services will terminate at Abbey St. from mid-June until early Autumn. This is to facilitate the on-going construction of the Luas Docklands Line. To allow better customer access the Abbey St. platform on the street side will be temporarily widened. Widening the platform will take about 2 weeks.

Please use Abbey Street stop as normal.
    Thank you for your co-operation.

http://www.luas.ie/ul/249.pdf

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭kelzer

Traffic wrote: »
    all platforms are to be extended

Is there enough room for all platforms to be extended on the red line?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭rednik

The new trams are due to arrive at the end of this year and are for the green line. The existing 400s will be transferred to the red line. The 50m trams are only for the green line. It will take a while for this to happen due to testing and platform extensions etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,573 ✭✭✭SteM

Luas Red Line services will terminate at Abbey St. from mid-June until early Autumn.

Wonderfully vague

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

The 50m ones will be nice to see on the green line. I hope they do some more upgrades so the frequency can be upped too, but most of all I'd love to see some aggressive tram priority in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭markpb

Red Alert wrote: »
    The 50m ones will be nice to see on the green line. I hope they do some more upgrades so the frequency can be upped too, but most of all I'd love to see some aggressive tram priority in the city centre.

The junction at Charlotte Way / Hatch St causes most of the problems - if they could find a way to change that one junction, I'd imagine it would make a huge difference to the green line.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭kelzer

Hard to see how they could straighten this part unless they go underground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

SteM wrote: »
    Wonderfully vague

Well at least they are being realistic, rather than setting a firm date for completion with which the media will no doubt have a field-day when it overruns...

However, 'mid-Autumn' may turn into 'late winter, early spring-ish' in time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

http://www.transport.ie/viewitem.asp?id=10649&lang=ENG&loc=2261
    Speech by Noel Dempsey, T.D., Minister for Transport at Launch of Luas Extension
    26 May 2008

Mr Ambassador, invited guests I am very pleased to be here today at the Luas Red Cow Depot to mark the completion of the Tallaght Luas Line Tram Extension Project.

This is an important phase in the continuing success story of Luas. Last year Luas carried almost 30 million passengers. These hugely encouraging passenger numbers, which are steadily rising year on year, indicate the attraction of this reliable and efficient service to the general public.

Today we are marking a move that will increase capacity on the Tallaght Line by 40%. This will mean 2000 more people per hour will be now able to enjoy the tram experience on this line.

We started this tram extension project over 12 months ago and today marks the end of this project. 26 new 40 meter trams are now on this line transporting more people than ever before across the city.

I am sure that Niall and his team at Alstom Irl. Ltd will take good care of these new trams as part of their maintenance contract with the RPA.

This particular tram extension project is one of a number of initiatives, which are aimed at increasing the capacity of Luas services and responding to customer demand.

In addition to the tram extensions, 8 new trams have been ordered to provide a further increase in capacity on the existing Luas lines. I understand that the RPA are also examining the feasibility of other measures to further increase capacity in the years ahead. All of this activity will build towards our target of capacity for an additional 80 million passengers trips per annum on the Luas/Metro networks under Transport 21.

It is important that the Luas experience should continue to be pleasant and comfortable and I am sure that enhancements such as the tram extensions, which we are marking today and the other initiatives will contribute to maintaining the quality of the experience.

It is a tribute to the professionalism of the RPA, Alstom and Veolia Transport Ireland that the significant transformation of the Luas Fleet, through the Tallaght Luas Line Tram Extension Project, has been carried out with no interruption to service and on time and within budget.

I am heartened to note that good progress is being made in the roll-out by the RPA of Luas and metro projects under Transport 21. The Docklands Extension of the Tallaght Luas Line is scheduled for completion by the end of next year.

I can imagine many of these extended trams being pressed into service in the future to carry concert-goers speedily and efficiently to and from the new Point and to carry thousands of people to the new conference centre and to the other attractions in the refurbished Docklands area.

It is also extremely encouraging to see the new bridges and other structures taking shape on the Green Line Extension from Sandyford to Cherrywood. Progress before our very eyes.

Good progress is also being made on the other key Luas and Metro projects under Transport 21. An Bord Pleanala is at present considering the Tallaght to Citywest extension and I am sure that people here in this area of west Dublin are looking forward to the commencement of operations on this service.

In conclusion, I would like to commend all those who were involved in this tram extension project here and I would like to wish "bon vogage" to the newly upgraded Tram Number 3020 as it joins the other 25 trams to traverse the route between Tallaght and the City Centre.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 14,794 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the "Launch of Luas extension?!"

they've slightly lengthened a bunch of trams that should have been longer in the first place and this requires a grand reception with a government minister and the (presumably) french ambassador. What a joke...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,467 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Did they need to modify any of the tracks to allow for the greater size trams?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

astrofool wrote: »
    Did they need to modify any of the tracks to allow for the greater size trams?
    The change from 30m to 40m on the Red Line only needed some extra track for stabling at the Red Cow Depot AFAIK. Changing up from 40m means being inventive with the section that would match up with the platform ramps.

Separately, the Red Line will also have a new alignment through the Red Cow interchange which will be straighter and faster and will have no crossings.

Advertisement