Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Striking train drivers in Cork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

KC61 wrote: »
    Unfortunately there are more cancellations, but all Dublin, Sligo, Limerick, Waterford and Rosslare based duties, along with DART and Commuter services in the Dublin area are still running.

That was not what was implied last night on that board.

Carlow trains running this morning but for how long? Anyone think they will also be cancelled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Out of interest if drivers take unofficial strike action are they still paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I really hope not, but i fear they might be

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

covert wrote: »
    This is bullsh1t. A caricature trade union guy from Cork was on the Last Word yesterday evening, and even he said the train the driver was told to drive was for training purposes, i.e. no passengers on board, just trainees observing a qualified guy driving.

Covert, the "on the job" training is currently going on even if in this case the train was not in service on this occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

"Covert" is in getting the trainee to shadow someone during normal duties?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Stark wrote: »
    "Covert" is in getting the trainee to shadow someone during normal duties?

Think he was actually addressing Covert in his reply?

MOH wrote: »

That will be it, MOH; by name not nature :)

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

Out of interest if drivers take unofficial strike action are they still paid?

Dont think so as they have been taken off the payroll since yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

MOH wrote: »

Ah I see. Totally missed the comma, I'm not with it at all day.

Now for the obligatory "Thank you for logging in Bossarky" remark :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

KC61 wrote: »
    Unfortunately there are more cancellations, but all Dublin, Sligo, Limerick, Waterford and Rosslare based duties, along with DART and Commuter services in the Dublin area are still running.

That was not what was implied last night on that board.

true, but we can only go by what we are told, which is better than nothing, and at that time that was what we heard.

If you want to have a forensic look at our board you'll see that we've been ahead of IE since December in advising on cancelations/disruptions due to this dispute.

In fact it came very very close to the core walking out yesterday. We are most certainly not in the business of scaremongering, we've known for months this was going to happen, as a matter of fact it almost happened on April. We also have heard lots of alarming and silly stuff, but we've filtered that out to prevent scaremongering. Hey, we're fallible, who isnt?

At the end of the day the only people who matter are the passengers. We have no truck (bad pun I suppose but I'm under pressure) with either side. This can be sorted fairly quickly if there is a willingness to do so.

This is a stupid time for this preventable dispute. In a years time there'll be a motorway form Cork to Dublin Airport. All those Munster fans (for example) who want to get to Cardiff and have been stranded by this today will remember and wont take a chance again.

Problem is, if passengers vote with their feet will anyone on either side be affected by it?

Where is the incentive to prevent this happening again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

true, but we can only go by what we are told, which is better than nothing, and at that time that was what we heard.

If you want to have a forensic look at our board you'll see that we've been ahead of IE since December in advising on cancelations/disruptions due to this dispute.

In fact it came very very close to the core walking out yesterday. We are most certainly not in the business of scaremongering, we've known for months this was going to happen, as a matter of fact it almost happened on April. We also have heard lots of alarming and silly stuff, but we've filtered that out to prevent scaremongering. Hey, we're fallible, who isnt?

At the end of the day the only people who matter are the passengers. We have no truck (bad pun I suppose but I'm under pressure) with either side. This can be sorted fairly quickly if there is a willingness to do so.

This is a stupid time for this preventable dispute. In a years time there'll be a motorway form Cork to Dublin Airport. All those Munster fans (for example) who want to get to Cardiff and have been stranded by this today will remember and wont take a chance again.

Problem is, if passengers vote with their feet will anyone on either side be affected by it?

Where is the incentive to prevent this happening again?

Indeed, I don't disagree with you on the fact that the passengers are the only ones that are losing here.

I just tend to be of the opinion that caution tends to be safer in making predictions about what service will run or not than predicting without certainty, particularly when it would appear that the information is coming from one party to the dispute (I can only assume that it is coming from employees of the company?).

While there is a need to keep people informed, predictions such as that last night, that no trains would run out of Heuston or DART would not operate could potentially inflame an otherwise difficult situation for both sides to the dispute. It also led to a post earlier in this thread that stated: "The guys over on rail users Ireland reckon full strike coming up! All services likely to be cancelled tomorrow!" It's this kind of reaction that a group such as RUI needs to be very careful that they don't cause. I just think that you need to be very cautious in your phraseology. There was a risk that more services could indeed be cancelled, but that does not equate to "All services Heuston likely to cancelled".

I know that this is symantics, but when it comes to industrial disputes it is they tend to be very important.

However, returning to the dispute, I agree that the sooner the core issues get resolved, the better. Some calm level-headedness is needed on all sides. This has the potential to do the railway irreparable damage, at a time when the remaining damage done by the ILDA dispute some years ago to the passenger traffic is just being reversed. That is something that is in no ones' interest be they the company, employees or the passenger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

I already have to drive to Kildare from portlaoise to get a train to celbridge (dont ask another long story to do with commuter trains hopping stations). But I waited for the galway train this am, and waited, and waited.
    No announcements so i went to the station office and he was merrily working away texting on his phone..

When i asked, it was a case of "oh erm yes, its cancelled."

Its endemic throughout Irish rail, but having had dealings with the managers its easy to understand why. Make them accountable and it will all filter down.

Edit: i suppose there is a bright side. The commuter trains will be running on time on that line now as in my experience thr prioritisation of the cork intercity service is the major cause of commuter train delays in the mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Do we really need drivers?

At a time when the US Air Force is planning to phase out manned bomber planes over the next 10-20 years, and remember here that we are talking about something that flies at supersonic speeds, has no rails to guide it, and can operate highly complex defensive and offensive electronic weapons systems, can it really be all that difficult to build a computer program that will shunt a train along a set of rails, react automatically to signals telling it how fast to go and where to slow down and stop?

I am flabbergasted that it takes 48 weeks to train a driver. If you convert that into the number of weeks comprising a typical university term that's equivalent to two full years at university. Does it really take half the time it takes to become a biochemist or nuclear physicist to train somebody to shunt along a diesel-powered vehicle constrained by rails and (in this country anyway) hardly bothered at all by major junctions and attendant traffic congestion?

Either drivers are incredibly dim or, much more likely and more insultingly, they think everybody else is.

They should go the way of the bow and arrow. And for the same reason. Too much trouble, much cheaper alternatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

Like what? To say the americans are phasing out manned bombers is a non comparison: The irish rail rollingstock is teh equivalent of the wright brothers...or teh marx brothers lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Nostradamus

Nothing to worry about lads. The strike deadlock will be overcome by IRN management who have declared that if the 6 British trainspotters on their message board and 2 Irish ones behave themselves, the striking drivers will go back to work.
    irishrailwaynews

Folks, please try to keep your discussion of this as dispassionate as possible, without resorting to emotional language. None of that will help in any way to resolve this dispute.

Feel free to discuss it, but please try to avoid emotional outbursts that could potentially make the situation worse.

This follows on form the highly successful IRN Railfreight Revival Policy.

Hope is at hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Next we'll have drivers going on strike because IR ONLY gave them a 59 mins break rather than a 60 min one.

Or because a train driver had to walk an extra 10 yards to the train than he should have, so therefore train wasn't parked(or whatever it's called in train language) in the right place and therefore the driver is doing something outside his duties:eek::rolleyes:.

If Brian Cowen is as serious about public sector reform as he says he is, then Cork train drivers is as good a place as anywhere to start, and for the country's, and 99% of the population's sake, he needs to deal with any slackers in the public services who have no interest in any one other than themselves and can hold the country to ransom in the same way he has dealt with internal party discipline in Fianna Fáil, and he needs to do it fast.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Wow it's truly everywhere today - even Irish Rail's bridges are on strike :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

ah yes IRN... I used to viist there before they made it impossible to fathom out how to use it....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Hamndegger wrote: »
    It used to take 80 weeks to be fully trained just 20 years ago with applicants already certified as train guards eligible to apply. Today it is 48 weeks with the emphasis placed into on the job training as opposed to supervised training after long theory work; this time even now is being looked at for shaving.

Trains drive themselves more and more these days, plus there are probably less locomotive types... remember that some day in the not-too-distant future, trains will drive themselves :)

Like has already been said, Nuclear Physicists are trained from secondary school in 160 weeks, 1/3rd of that to drive a train along some rails and stop at the red light seems excessive....

it is nowhere near as simple as that ...you never will have automatic driverless trains as there are way too many things that can go wrong that a machine will not pick up.....driving a train is a highly skilled job and there are actually more types to deal with now than there were a few years ago....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Nothing to worry about lads. The strike deadlock will be overcome by IRN management who have declared that if the 6 British trainspotters on their message board and 2 Irish ones behave themselves, the striking drivers will go back to work.

This follows on form the highly successful IRN Railfreight Revival Policy.

Hope is at hand.

Holy **** man!

Did that quote actually come from IRN? Do they really think that their forum is relevent in this dispute? No forum will have any influence. I could call IE management and every train driver in the place a total and absolute b****x with a preponderance to suspect sexual activities and it still wouldn't have any bearing or influence.

I havent been by IRN in a long long time, but its really sad to see that the state of mind of its operators is still very much in the land of Oz. What is it with railways? It makes decent enough people go dysfunctional. Glad I got out of it.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

corktina wrote: »
    it is nowhere near as simple as that ...you never will have automatic driverless trains as there are way too many things that can go wrong that a machine will not pick up.....driving a train is a highly skilled job and there are actually more types to deal with now than there were a few years ago....

Oh really?

Driver less Metro in Lille:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lille_Metro

The London DLR:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Docklands_Light_Railway

Before you go and make the obvious point that neither of these are intercity rail systems the concept is still the same, there's a vehicle moving along tracks strangely enough not requiring a driver in these cases. So what do you think could go wrong that a machine/computer wouldn't pick up? You'd be surprised at what can be done these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Not, I think, with level crossings. If there were two tracks in either direction and no level crossings... well, that would be different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 gary01

Does anyone know if the Heuston-Galway-Heuston train is running tomorrow and Sunday ? I looked on irishrail.ie at the timetables and the "All seats taken" red icon is beside a lot of the trains. But according to the update, it looks like it's mostly cork trains canceled tomorrow. Does anyone know anything about this because I can't get any info from any train station I call

• Registered Users Posts: 8,744 ✭✭✭SeanW

DWCommuter wrote: »
    Holy **** man!

Did that quote actually come from IRN?
    Yes.

I was hoping that when IRN moved from its MSN group to its new home, that it would have matured somewhat. But when I found out that added the term "Platform11" to the profanity filter, I realised it was just the same old delusional gricers with a fancier looking homepage.

rmacm wrote: »
    Oh really?

The London DLR:

Before you go and make the obvious point that neither of these are intercity rail systems the concept is still the same, there's a vehicle moving along tracks strangely enough not requiring a driver in these cases. So what do you think could go wrong that a machine/computer wouldn't pick up? You'd be surprised at what can be done these days.

Sheep on the line?

rmacm wrote: »
    Oh really?

The London DLR:

DART is capable of being controlled without a driver but Irish Rail opted for driver controlled trains. To some extent, CAWS can do a lot of the work for drivers here were it chosen to be set up to do so. London Underground trains are almost auto driven as well; the driver being able to override or manually control if and when needed. The problem with driver less trains kicks in when any signaling or system faults take place; there still needs to be a trained person to deal with emergencies and problems in service and this is where a drivers long training comes in. Even something such as railway signals are not that easy followed and takes some time to be trained into understanding as such

Sheep on the line?

You can get cars now that have systems built in that can detect obstacles ahead of them. I'd imagine something similar could be used on trains if it's not already in use somewhere in the world. of course this wouldn't be a whole lot of use if an obstacle e.g. sheep happened to be around a bend in the track.
    Hamndegger wrote: »
    The problem with driver less trains kicks in when any signaling or system faults take place; there still needs to be a trained person to deal with emergencies and problems in service and this is where a drivers long training comes in. Even something such as railway signals are not that easy followed and takes some time to be trained into understanding as such

I've just been reading about rail signals, it looks pretty complex alright. I agree that in the case of signaling faults human intervention would be required. I was just interested in corktinas statement that "you never will have automatic driverless trains" when places do have them albeit not intercity services. It just seemed like a rather blanket statement to make.

well yes Railway systems are way different to say road usage....

I dont claim to be an expert in any way (but I do know a bit alright) but there are two factors here.. safety and public concern at doing 100 mph with noone at the front....isolated systems like the docklands etc arent really mainstream railways and I doubt that a machine or a computer will ever be able to operate a train as safely as a highly trained Human...dont forget that these systems arent really driverless....remote control would be a better description.Can a machine see a couple of Chavs on a bridge (ready to drop a concrete block off) as quickly as a Driver....I doubt it and trains cover a lot of ground in a few seconds and need a loooong stopping distance...

I recomend "Red for Danger" by Len Rolt if you are interested in railway safety...not a gory sensational description of train accidents but a technical assesment of what can go wrong and what is dont to prevent it...

• Advertisement

isolated systems like the docklands etc arent really mainstream railways and I doubt that a machine or a computer will ever be able to operate a train as safely as a highly trained Human...dont forget that these systems arent really driverless....remote control would be a better description.Can a machine see a couple of Chavs on a bridge (ready to drop a concrete block off) as quickly as a Driver....I doubt it and trains cover a lot of ground in a few seconds and need a loooong stopping distance...

The DLR an isolated non mainstream system? I think not, it moves >100,000 people per day in London and interconnects with the London Underground. I agree that there are situations where human intervention and supervision is required but my point still stands that there are numerous metros/rail systems operating in an automated driverless way or a highly automated way with some human supervision.
    I recomend "Red for Danger" by Len Rolt if you are interested in railway safety...not a gory sensational description of train accidents but a technical assesment of what can go wrong and what is dont to prevent it...

I'll give a look out for it granted railway safety isn't something that I think about on a daily basis.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement