Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Walking railway lines

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

We were walking On the mallow-Kerry line a few years back and there was a strong head wind and we never heard the train behind us, only seen it when it was about 500m behind us.

never went walking on the tracks again.
    Did you get that name before or after you saw the train.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,279 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I work for the railway in Britain and spent a good few years working trackside. Trains or no trains, walking along the trackside is full of hazards and I would willingly avoid doing it so not sure if a photo is worth it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Not that I am condoning walking on the tracks, but can't you walk on the set of tracks facing the direction of the oncoming trains? Less chance of it coming up behind you.
    I had a fright with a train approaching behind me when I was about 12 and playing on the tracks. Happened once and I was very careful since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,511 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Effects wrote: »
    Not that I am condoning walking on the tracks, but can't you walk on the set of tracks facing the direction of the oncoming trains? Less chance of it coming up behind you.
    I had a fright with a train approaching behind me when I was about 12 and playing on the tracks. Happened once and I was very careful since.

Jesus. No it's trespass, in a clearly dangerous place.
    Why can't people understand this?

You assume the track is in a straight line, what will you do when confronted by a curve or at a junction or a bi-directional section?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,531 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Much of the network is single track

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Plenty of track to walk between athlone and mullingar now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

As mentioned, much of the network is single track and you can expect trains to come from either direction. On the two-track section, you can either expect trains to be very frequent (Cork, Dublin, Belfast areas) or very vast - 90-100mph (145-160km/h). In some areas, you can have trains running on the 'wrong' track - express trains passing stopped trains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I believe any time a person is on the line and is caught by CCTV it's downloaded and passed straight to guards or if you are caught a few times you can expect a knock on the door from the guards.

Know a case in which it happened and while no further action was taken IE would go further if it continued.

Anywhere on the line counts so if you pass a farm crossing gate it will be reported.

IE have also placed CCTV at certain spots on the line where it becomes a big issue or improper use of gates etc on the lines and take action following this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

• Advertisement

So much recklessness in that video

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

I just love how that photographer tries to justify it as safe (or doing her due diligence :rolleyes:) by placing a penny on the tracks :eek::eek::eek:

Admittedly that stretch looked abandoned

Advertisement