Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Xperia Tipo - Earphones issue?

Options
  • 31-01-2013 12:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭

I recently bought a Sony Xperia Tipo however I can't get earphones to work on it at all, I've tried 3 different types/makes and none work. When I plug the headphones in it plays music from teh phone speaker only and as soon as pull the headphones out it stop playing the music altogether.

I have googled this and nticed on other forums that loads of people are having the same issue but I'm yet to see a solution. Is there a quick fix for this like maybe it needs specific earphones made by Sony?

No earphones came in the box and I purchased this from an O2 store.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

hey, dont have phone myself but did play around with a friends, you seem to really have to jam the headphones into that socket - even then they are not flush with the case.
    But after that they seem to work, have you tried using the FM radio? It has terrible reception compared to a very old nokia i have - the nokia came with its own earphones - wonder why the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

jogdish wrote: »
    hey, dont have phone myself but did play around with a friends, you seem to really have to jam the headphones into that socket - even then they are not flush with the case.
    But after that they seem to work, have you tried using the FM radio? It has terrible reception compared to a very old nokia i have - the nokia came with its own earphones - wonder why the difference

XS had problems with this too, its a firmware bug.

OP you probably arent pushing them in far enough like above. Try borrowing a headset from another android phone (HTC, Samsung, LG shouldnt matter).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

ED E wrote: »

OP you probably arent pushing them in far enough like above. Try borrowing a headset from another android phone (HTC, Samsung, LG shouldnt matter).

Yeah I've tried pushing it in as far as I can but no luck, it's still the same, I don't have any other headsets from an android either. You mentioned it's a firmware bug, would this be possibly fixed by an update or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

ED E,
    Do you mean that if i can update the firmaware the FM radio on the TIPO will have decent reception? ( currently its a horrible static sound that waves in and out over the station sound )

I can't even check the fm radio on mine as it says I need the earphones in as the antenna for it to work!

• Advertisement

Firmware was in regard to FM radio reception. Give it 2-3 months and it'll be fixed for sure like the S was.

Andy: it does happen that some headphones have jacks that are a tad too thick or too slim, but since you've tried 3 units theres a chance yours is a lemon.

Step 1: Install PC Companion on your computer, connect phone and hit update(if no updates present then you get the option to repair, do this).
    This will wipe your phone!
    But it there's a bug with the headphone detect service it should fix that.

Step 2: If 1 fails then its a dud unit, return it to the shop where you bought it.

ED E wrote: »
    Firmware was in regard to FM radio reception. Give it 2-3 months and it'll be fixed for sure like the S was.

Andy: it does happen that some headphones have jacks that are a tad too thick or too slim, but since you've tried 3 units theres a chance yours is a lemon.

Step 1: Install PC Companion on your computer, connect phone and hit update(if no updates present then you get the option to repair, do this).
    This will wipe your phone!
    But it there's a bug with the headphone detect service it should fix that.

Step 2: If 1 fails then its a dud unit, return it to the shop where you bought it.

Thanks Ed, appreciate that I will gove this a go tonight. It's just odd because so many people on other sites are having the exact same issue and there has been no recall or even a reply from Sony on the Official Sony forums.

Sony dont do recalls, just "if you have x issue, you might not be the only one, bring it to a certified repair place".

See yellow tint issue for the Xperia S :L

Advertisement