Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longest & Shortest Routes on Dublin Bus

Options
  • 29-05-2008 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭

Can anybody tell me the longest Dublin Bus route and the Shortest one. Can't seem to find anything about it online.... Go raibh mhaith agat:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Can anybody tell me the longest Dublin Bus route and the Shortest one. Can't seem to find anything about it online.... Go raibh mhaith agat:D

Longest routes would be the 84 to Newcastle, 65 to Ballymore Eustace, the 33 to Balbriggan or the 66 to Kilcock. Shortest regular routes would probably be the 53 and the 90 to Heuston and Connolly/IFSC. There is a new route 206 that runs from Drumfinn Road in Ballyfermot to the West County hotel; it's barely 2 miles.

Somebody like KC 61 may have exact distances for these routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Good place to start would be Dublin Bus website ;)

Know that 65 is a long route, Ballymore Eustace to Eden Quay, 38km.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

While I like to think that I've a good knowledge of Dublin Bus routes, the precise distances would not be something that I'd be aware of!!

However, what I can say is that until about six years ago, the longest bus service was definitely the 0720 route 33 to Balbriggan (why? - because it went via Donabate, Burrow, Seaview Park, Portrane Hospital, Donabate and back onto normal 33 route!) and the shortest was the Skerries Town-Skerries Railway Station service!

Today, I would say that either the 91 (Heuston Station-Westmoreland Street) or the 206 in Ballyfermot is probably the shortest route.

The longest bus service in terms of distance is either:
    0710 33 via Portrane to Skerries; or 0450 33 From Balbriggan via Donabate to City Centre
    65 to Ballyknockan (longer than Ballymore)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

KC61 wrote: »
    While I like to think that I've a good knowledge of Dublin Bus routes, the precise distances would not be something that I'd be aware of!!

However, what I can say is that until about six years ago, the longest bus service was definitely the 0720 route 33 to Balbriggan (why? - because it went via Donabate, Burrow, Seaview Park, Portrane Hospital, Donabate and back onto normal 33 route!) and the shortest was the Skerries Town-Skerries Railway Station service!

Today, I would say that either the 91 (Heuston Station-Westmoreland Street) or the 206 in Ballyfermot is probably the shortest route.

The longest bus service in terms of distance is either:
    0710 33 via Portrane to Skerries; or
    65 to Ballyknockan (longer than Ballymore)

KC comes up trumps. I had forgotten about the Skerries feeder; does the Rush one still run anymore?

Hamndegger wrote: »
    KC comes up trumps. I had forgotten about the Skerries feeder; does the Rush one still run anymore?

No - both finished some years ago. The Rush based bus switched to Skerries Garage, and the Donabate based bus reverted to Summerhill and now operates ex-Harristown.

There are still buses based in Skerries Garage overnight to operate the early morning services on the 33 (except for the 0450 ex-Balbriggan which operates empty from Summerhill at 0400!).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wayne2107

Would it not be better to have the 0450 ex-Balbriggan overnight in Skerries and the later one operate light from Summerhill?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think the most convoluted was the last incarnation of the number 18 Palmerstown to Donnybrook Garage via Rathmines, Sandymount, Ringsend, Merrion and UCD.

Straightest might be the 17A.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The 746 Dublin Airport to Dun Laoghaire must be pretty long also.

wayne2107 wrote: »
    Would it not be better to have the 0450 ex-Balbriggan overnight in Skerries and the later one operate light from Summerhill?

The Skerries based buses are out on the roads all day - that duty is an early starter and finisher. With the driver resources in Skerries it wouldn't work out.

The 746 Dublin Airport to Dun Laoghaire must be pretty long also.

It's still nowhere near as long as either of the two 33 workings that deviate via Donabate or Portrane or the 65 to Ballyknockan.

Incidentally the 65 to Ballyknockan has to be one of the most pleasant journeys that can be taken on a Dublin Bus, skirting the lake shore along fairly narrow roads, before terminating beyond Ballyknockan village.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

Does the 91 still run I think only the 90 & 92 are still in operation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭bazzer

The 91 does run, but mostly at the discretion of the stance inspectors at Aston Quay and Heuston. There are RUMOURS doing the rounds at the moment regarding all the 90/91/92 services.

By the way, I think the 88N (Nitelink Dublin-Ashbourne) is a contender for one of the longest AND straightest routes! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭armada104

Why do Dublin Bus operate a Nitelink to Ashbourne? I would've thought that was Bus Éireann's patch.

Totally off topic but sure... I got the 172 bus yesterday from Kildare St. o Oxmantown Road.. Usually I would get the 10 bus from Dawson St. but I decided to try out this unusual and seldom bus route. I was one of only 3 people who used the bus along the way.

I wonder how is this route making any profit and is there real demand for it.

Totally off topic but sure... I got the 172 bus yesterday from Kildare St. o Oxmantown Road.. Usually I would get the 10 bus from Dawson St. but I decided to try out this unusual and seldom bus route. I was one of only 3 people who used the bus along the way.

I wonder how is this route making any profit and is there real demand for it.

The 172 is only still operating due to the request from Bertie Ahern TD that it be maintained. This is similar to the 48A which was to be cancelled, but Tom Kitt TD requested that it be retained.

It certainly does not make a profit.

Does the 91 still run I think only the 90 & 92 are still in operation.

The 91 operates on an "as required" basis to meet trains at Heuston Station.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭hunter164

16a is long enough.

Genuinely there are only two contenders for the longest route:

65 to Ballyknockan
    33 to Skerries via Donabate & Portrane or 33 from Balbriggan via Donabate

None of the 16A, 19A, 746, 66 to Kilcock, 84 to Newcastle, or any other route are as long as either of these.

and shortest that is still running

• Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭markpb

65 to Ballyknockan

Thanks to Google Maps, I know now where Bally-go-backward is and that it's over 40km from the city centre. What on earth are DB doing sending a bus all the out there!?

• Advertisement

and shortest that is still running

As I said above:
    Either 206 or 91.

The 91 has always been an untimetabled route. However, it is a valid route and is still in operation at certain times when Heuston is busy.

Refer to the 90 timetable for the note referring to the 91. It does still exist.

markpb wrote: »
    Thanks to Google Maps, I know now where Bally-go-backward is and that it's over 40km from the city centre. What on earth are DB doing sending a bus all the out there!?

There have been route 65 buses operating to Ballyknockan since time immemorial, and sometime ago DB did try to withdraw the service but the locals caused a huge fuss.

It is mainly to get schoolchildren and workers into school/work.

Only two services operate Monday/Friday at 0550 and 1725 ex-city and 0700 and 1925 ex-Ballyknockan.

Incidentally, the longest ever Dublin Bus route was also route 65, when certain journeys operated to/from Donard in Co. Wicklow - near the Glen of Imaal. These stopped over 10 years ago. Go find that on google maps!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's quite a nice little place actually .. the granite stonecutters village and all that .. plus there's a pub with a rather good Indian restaurant on the first floor that I've been know to frequent after a hike around that area!

206 takes 15 minutes to complete it's journey. I can see 91 taking les than that down the bus lane on the quays.

So i think we can come to a conclusion that

LONGEST: 65 (that is some distance, why is it going out there half the journey is in Wicklow)
    SHORTEST: 91 (Can almost see your destination from the terminus)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭markpb

Maybe it's time I moved back to the arse end of west Cavan and demanded Dublin Bus follow me there, afterall I need to get to work too. :D

In all seriousness, it's daft putting a city service all the way out there, the same bus could do several shorter runs and carry more people. Let DB ditch it and tell BE to buy them a minibus (or just a mini!) How many people could use that service?

Maybe it's time I moved back to the arse end of west Cavan and demanded Dublin Bus follow me there, afterall I need to get to work too. :D

In all seriousness, it's daft putting a city service all the way out there, the same bus could do several shorter runs and carry more people. Let DB ditch it and tell BE to buy them a minibus (or just a mini!) How many people could use that service?

DB hold grandfather rights on services to/from Blessington. The 65 is surprisingly actually very busy beyond Tallaght in the peak hours and at weekends. Believe me if you see the Ballyknockan and Ballymore services coming through Tallaght in the morning you realise why they kept them as double-deck city services. The extra running time to/from Blessington for the round trip to Ballyknockan is 25 mins appx so it really isn't that big a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It goes through Blessington on the way though which is a reasonably sized place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Yes the 66 to Kilcock wouldn't be a contender at all, it's only a little over an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

66 to Kilcock is gone entirely anyway. Although it wasn't the longest anyway.

Advertisement