Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forum name change?

Options
  • 23-05-2015 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭

In light of today's historic victory can we now change the forum name to Weddings and Marriage and get rid of the CP bit?

On an aside I'm delighted this forum may now get busier and I'm looking forward to more stories of bride and groomzillas :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

delighted to hear that it will pass not sure a name change is needed

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Civil partnership still exists though, doesn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Malari wrote: »
    Civil partnership still exists though, doesn't it?
    It will until everything is finalised. The first weddings are expected by Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,268 ✭✭✭✭fits

Some of my straight friends have expressed interest in civil partnership but im not really sure why.

Vojera wrote: »
    It will until everything is finalised. The first weddings are expected by Christmas.

And when it becomes law, will civil partnerships cease to become available? Presumably there will still be people civilly partnered and not married though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I thought civil partnerships were going to continue? If you didnt want to marry you could still for for CP.

What happens to those with CP surely the CP doesnt automatically convert into marriage?

I thought civil partnerships were going to continue? If you didnt want to marry you could still for for CP.

What happens to those with CP surely the CP doesnt automatically convert into marriage?

No, not automatically. I think you will be able to apply to transfer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I don't know what a tracker mortgage is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Woooop! Delighted for today's result. I LOL'd at the groomzilla comment above - there's quite a few good groomzilla stories over in AIBU on mumsnet :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Malari wrote: »
    And when it becomes law, will civil partnerships cease to become available? Presumably there will still be people civilly partnered and not married though.

I assume we'll follow NZ and the UK where new civil partnerships will no longer be formed, it'll be marriage or nothing. Those already in CPs, like myself, will be able (but not compelled) to convert their CPs to full marriage by doing some paperwork at the registry office or having an optional ceremony.

I assume anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

fits wrote: »
    Some of my straight friends have expressed interest in civil partnership but im not really sure why.

Possibly because of the deeply ingrained patriarchal nature of marriage within Western culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,268 ✭✭✭✭fits

Possibly because of the deeply ingrained patriarchal nature of marriage within Western culture.

Maybe once upon a time but is that true anymore? I just see it as a very practical way of letting the state know you are a unit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

Maybe once upon a time but is that true anymore? I just see it as a very practical way of letting the state know you are a unit.

I thought it was great too and slot of gay friends were delighted with it and don't feel the need to t transfer or anything.
    It wasn't open to heterosexual couples.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,120 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Vojera wrote: »
    I assume we'll follow NZ and the UK where new civil partnerships will no longer be formed, it'll be marriage or nothing. Those already in CPs, like myself, will be able (but not compelled) to convert their CPs to full marriage by doing some paperwork at the registry office or having an optional ceremony.
    I think this is the plan.

Basically, CP was devised as a kind of "separate but equal" status for same-sex couples to try to stave off the demand for same-sex marriage. It obviously didn't work from that point of view, and the perceived need which gave to it no longer exists, so it doesn't seem that there is any reason to have a separate civil partner status any more.

Since nobody can be compelled to marry, existing civil partners can continue in that status if they wish, but I think the plan is that a once same-sex couples are free to marry, the option of civil partnership will cease to be available to them, so from the day that same-sex marriage becomes possible, no new civil partnerships will be celebrated. There is no proposal to introduce a civil partnership status for opposite-sex couples.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

It's certainly a monumental moment, all the more so that the Irish constitution dictated an actual referendum on the same.

I think that calling for the forum to be immediately renamed is a case of putting the cart before the the horse though, the Civil Partnership topic still holds merit for the time being at least.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I thought Civil Partnerships were only available for gay people?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Neyite wrote: »
    I thought Civil Partnerships were only available for gay people?
    In Ireland, yes. But similar arrangments to them exist in other countries for gay and straight people. I have cousins living in another European country where its common to be in a civil partnership, especially if you buy property together. So there might be confusion about recognising such relationships in the future here. They aren't married where they live, but they do have legally recognised relationships.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

lazygal wrote: »
    In Ireland, yes. But similar arrangments to them exist in other countries for gay and straight people. I have cousins living in another European country where its common to be in a civil partnership, especially if you buy property together. So there might be confusion about recognising such relationships in the future here. They aren't married where they live, but they do have legally recognised relationships.
    Yeah, in France we have what's called "PACS", it was initially introduced as a stopgap for gay couples but straight couples use it a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

straight couples use it a lot.

Indeed. Refer to my previous comment about the historical baggage that comes with "marriage".

Advertisement