Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

affidavit for freedom to marry

Options
  • 15-01-2011 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭

hi,
    getting married abroad and sorting out the church documents for over. local priest said that i need a letter of freedom from all the parishes i lived in since 18 but since thats not going to happen then a signed affidavit will do. if anyone else did this can you please tell me what i need to say in it or better still has anyone got a template i could use?!
    cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭SSFG

Just did the pre marriage course today, and the priest there told us that he has an affadavit template on his website http://www.together.ie/ not sure where exactly on the site though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭bungaro79

legend ssfg!!!

for anyone who needs it the address is http://www.together.ie/AFFIDAVIT.html

Glad you found it, just pure luck that I happened to do the pre marriage course yesterday!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Can you have this affidavit done as opposed to going and getting all of the letters of freedom? Is that acceptable in every parish? Could be really handy for himself if that was the case!!

Can anybody confirm this?

Can you have this affidavit done as opposed to going and getting all of the letters of freedom? Is that acceptable in every parish? Could be really handy for himself if that was the case!!

Can anybody confirm this?

I'm sorry, I don't know, but the priest at the pre marriage course did say that you should check with the parish priest. He said alot of priests will waive the letters of freedom, as in this day and age most people are not living in their own parish. Just check with your pp and he might help you out and accept the affadavit, unfortunately there is no guarantee. My own pp did tell me it wasn't necessary to get a letter of freedom from every parish I have lived in, so fingers crossed for you!
    Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

Cheers, this is the logical route for me to go.
    Hopefully the Portuguese priest will be OK with this approach!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 Patrick99

The template for an Affidavit instead of a Letter of Freedom is to be found at http://www.together.ie/AFFIDAVIT.html .

There is a link to it from FAQs, and also from our page called Documents. Most priests nowadays will accept a properly notarised Affidavit in place of Letters of Freedom.

Fr. Pat Rogers

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Ludikrus

Can anyone tell me if a Peace Commissioner can sign and stamp my affidavit for freedom to marry?

I don't know what exactly the difference is between a Peace Commissioner and a Commissioner for Oaths. I know of a Peace Commissioner where I live and he has said he will do it. I just want to make sure that it doesn't have to be a Solicitor/Commissioner for Oaths.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

Ludikrus wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if a Peace Commissioner can sign and stamp my affidavit for freedom to marry?
    Thanks

No, a Peace Commissioner can not sign an Affidavit (which is a document sworn on the bible)

(a peace commissioner can only sign a declaration, which is a lesser document, not sworn on the bible)

Advertisement