Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marriage legal if performed in NY?

• 28-05-2015 11:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We're planning on getting married in the US (New York) in the Autumn.

I have concerns as to whether this would be legally recognised here in Ireland on our return. Has anyone gone through this process before?
    I am little concerned here. We have our documents prepared with out parish priest and we wll be arranging for a marriage cert from the state office in NY.

In cases where a serious doubt exists as to whether the marriage is recognised in Irish law, legal advice may be sought and an application made to the Circuit Family Court for a ruling under Section 29 of the Family Law Act, 1995 as to whether the marriage is recognisable under Irish law.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭MarieOC

I got married in NYC in December and no problem at all - transfers here very easily. Marriage cert accepted by Revenue, drivers licence etc

We did get the extended very just in case , a little more hassle the day after the wedding but worth the $50 (I think) and two hours it took for peace of mind (no one has asked for this though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭valoren

MarieOC wrote: »
    I got married in NYC in December and no problem at all - transfers here very easily. Marriage cert accepted by Revenue, drivers licence etc

We did get the extended very just in case , a little more hassle the day after the wedding but worth the $50 (I think) and two hours it took for peace of mind (no one has asked for this though)

Thanks. Put's our mind at ease :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Basically, yes.

The religious bit is irrelevant, provided that the marriage is legally recognised in the other country, then it's legally recognised here.

That is assuming you're not under 18 or brother and sister or something :D

In general, it's very rare you'll ever have to produce a marriage certificate. Revenue don't ask for one unless they're auditing you. In effect, everyone just takes you at your word and will only ask for the cert if any questions come up about it.
    Only if either partner is changing their name will any state agencies ask for proof up front.

We were asked to produce ours for the first time by a bank because we were buying a house - they wanted legal confirmation it would be a "family home" and not just shared ownership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

I've had to produce my marriage certificate quite a bit for name changing purposes.

Advertisement