Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Film of The 1990's which we thought were good but that our children will cringe at

• 19-07-2003 7:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭

You know the movies from the 1980's that we saw when we were kids and thought that they were so cool but now we just think OMG its not on N2 yet again.

i.e. That robot film you Steven Guttenburg actually anything with steven guttenburg in it.

Who is the Steven guttenburg of the 90's? Laurance Bad Boys Whats his name?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Usual Suspects
    Pulp Fiction
    American Beauty
    Matrix
    Fight Club
    Se7en
    Reservoir Dogs
    Sixth Sense
    Green Mile
    Being John Malkovich
    Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
    Clerks
    Heat

These are all 90's films which are currently on the IMDB top250 that I reckon won't stand the test of time. I'm not saying I don't like them but I do believe that future generations won't look upon them with nearly the same reverance and enthusiasm that many of us at the time did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Usual Suspects
    -will stand if no one gives away the ending

Pulp Fiction
    -the countless lines that affect our generation will keep it in use but not glory

American Beauty
    -I agree good but wont be a re-release of fame.

Matrix
    -its two sequals will keep it up (mainly for the original being better

Fight Club
    -It will def stay.

Reservoir Dogs
    -i agree it is already disapearing people at my age (18) feel its way overhyped but fans of pulp fiction will still watch it for its humble beginnings

Sixth Sense
    -Defitnaly though the twist is great, the film itself is too slow for the hyper junkies that i see in my shop every day.

Clerks
    -again like res. dogs it is already unpopular. BUT like res people who see kevin smiths other films will dig it out to see where it began.

Heat
    -I think its one of the few action films with depth of course it'll survive (like aliens)

Our big blockbusters which is already "not cool"

-Independence day
    -Batman
    -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

Originally posted by Elmo
    You know the movies from the 1980's that we saw when we were kids and thought that they were so cool but now we just think OMG its not on N2 yet again.

i.e. That robot film you Steven Guttenburg actually anything with steven guttenburg in it.

"Number Five is alive!"-- Short Circuit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭weemcd

star trek, star wars, termator, the matrix, most sci-fi films, lotr ( in ten years well be like what utter sh1t "special effects")

austin powers it will end up in our kids not knowing the difference between 1969 and 1999.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 ghost of bail

movies taught me a lot and i am still young such as combat due to Matrix, Jackie Chan and CTHD and most other Kung Fu stars and also the basics of computers by Hackers. and that you never underestimate or tell your nemisis your plan for global domination but to get them quick before they figure out a obscene all or nothing escape. just look at bond don't use the laser and shut the fu** up just bloody shoot him you would think the adults would have learned a few things by watching retro batman god the super villians can be genius, millionares, awesome soldiers but they all ways have a huge bloody ego. if i was was one of them God will that i may someday and if i faced bond and he ask my plan i would just say "well it happened as a child and i was dropped..." BANG!!! " oh no im sorry my finger slipped on the trigger ohh my thats a nasty head wound whoa it went straight through oh well now were was i oh yes blow up the bloody world. hahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahaha...etc.etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭jammy_dodger

'Number Five is alive!"-- Short Circuit.

The line is 'Johnny five..........ALIVE'

Every time i see that scene with the butterfly, and then the robot starts to cry, i cry with him. :(

7t.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

austin powers 1, 2 and 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

i think it was pre-ninetys, but Ferris Buelers day out :)
    waynes world....though still good when wasted. :D
    highlander...

wierd science, and hackers show their age now. i think the people in blade and the matrix will look as gay as the guys in hackers it 10 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by Pigman II
    These are all 90's films which are currently on the IMDB top250 that I reckon won't stand the test of time. I'm not saying I don't like them but I do believe that future generations won't look upon them with nearly the same reverance and enthusiasm that many of us at the time did.
    maybe not for the next 1-2 generations but yeah, i agree with you.
    shame really, i can imagine myself harping on about keyser soze to my grandkids & them not giving a ****:(

i watched predator 2 the other day (i had the vid, not the one on n2...)
    and that was like watching a totally different film to the one i remember.
    hard to believe i thought soem of the special effects were cool.

i guess it'll be the same for most special effects driven films

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

Originally posted by Elmo
    Do you mean Martain Lawrance, from Bad Boys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Originally posted by weemcd
    wierd science, and hackers show their age now. i think the people in blade and the matrix will look as gay as the guys in hackers it 10 years
    Hackers was never thought of as a serious film, except by pedantic computer dorks whose opinion doesn't matter anyway. Joe Public viewed it as a dumb film, while anyone with a little bit of technical knowledge and their head screwed on straight looked at it as a tongue-in-cheek kind of film, deliberately playing up (and around with) the Hollywood portrayal of "Hackers". It made people groan and giggle at the same time (groggle?).

I think you're letting your personal dislike of the Matrix cloud your judgement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

ferris buellers day out

thats would be day off. it will [imo] stand the test.it has lasted until now, the only things that have aged terribly in that film are the clothes,the hair,some of the music and charlie sheens awful awful biker/badboy role. the rest is classic.

Terminator
      Total Recall
      Demolition Man
      Escape From L.A

you can see where im going.almost all cheesy action flicks. strange since 80's classics such as die hard and lethal weapon are still great movies.

in terms of special effects,almost all cgi characters will be laughed at.such as neo in his fight of the 100 smiths.and in ep2 theres some really dodgy cgi of anakin.we laugh now.they will certainly laugh in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

Watched Hackers last night.....

"Wow this is one mean rig"

"Yeah, it's got an active display with a high refresh rate."

"And you have a 5000baud modem...Oh and the P6 chip...."

"Yeah...It leaves the Pentium for dead......RISC technology is the future"

"Yeah...RISC is the way forward, oh and it's got a PCI bus"

Yes...PCI bus...Good for Hacking.....

They just got some random PC terms and threw them in any old fashion....

Chortle...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

Did anybody else watching Hackers last night suddenly felt the need for a Heineken. Or a Jolt Cola? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

i feel its my need and purpose in life to correct these statements.
      Originally posted by James Melody
      "Yeah, it's got an active display with a high refresh rate."
      he says
      "Active matrix, man. A million psychedelic colors. Man, baby, sweet, ooo!"

and it looks crispy in the lights too.
      "And you have a 5000baud modem..."
      theres is no such thing as 5000baud modem. he says "this is insanely great, it's got a 28.8 BPS modem!"

after that they proceed to hack some gibsons which is what usually happens with everyday normal hackers.

whatever happens, this movie will go down into history as the best hackers movie ever. that is untill Cunningham directs Neuromancer.

adnans

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

a lot of films will look pants cause of style and stuff.
      Many film from the eightys we can look back on and wonder who the **** was designing that set?
      some films will last though. give ferris credit, its a classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

Sorry I should have taken notes...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,816 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I wonder if everyone will laugh at how bad our hair used to look. I augh now when I see all the bad perms in 80s films.

Charlies Angels will be laughed at in less than 3 years. At the moment I'm only cringing.

Originally posted by ObeyGiant
      I think you're letting your personal dislike of the Matrix cloud your judgement.

what ythe ****!!!!1 i love the ****in matrix! ive seen it more times than anyfilm, ive got it the animatrix, and a pirate matrix reloded, ive got a model of morpheus in my room! take it back

anyway im saying whats cool now will look camp and punkey in ten years. i agree about random jargon, but evry american sitcom now, has an epesode were someone gets adicted to the internet and spouts loadsa rondom techo babble!

v. dissapointed

• Advertisement
    • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Originally posted by jammy_dodger
      The line is 'Johnny five..........ALIVE'

Every time i see that scene with the butterfly, and then the robot starts to cry, i cry with him. :(

7t.gif

Re-assemble Stephanie! Stephanie, reassemble! No reassemble? ... ah I can remember it too. Poor Johnny :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Originally posted by galactus
      Did anybody else watching Hackers last night suddenly felt the need for a Heineken. Or a Jolt Cola? :)
      Nope... but did notice that the eye candy Vulcan in the current Star Trek series looks remarkably like Angelina Jolie's character from Hackers! :ninja:

i liked hackers dont know why. maby its cos you see jolie's tats!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

i'm already begining to see it.watched the matrix the other day and neos sunglasses he wears in the lobby scene coupled with the tight bodysuit looks very camp. the phone aswell.what a piece of nokia **** compared to now.

^it will look as gay as mad max films some day, btw that is cringeworthy now. mark my words

Advertisement