Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

this DVD will self destruct in.. 48 hours?

• 15-07-2003 12:14am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/3064327.stm
    This DVD will self-destruct in 48 hours." This could be the warning message on a new type of DVD to be launched next month.

The disc, called an EZ-D, will be sold in an airtight envelope. Once the package is opened, the surface of the disc will start to react with the air, slowly changing colour from red to an opaque black over the next two days.

DVD players use a laser beam to read information held on an information layer beneath the surface of a disc, so once the surface becomes opaque the DVD becomes unusable.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I'm pretty sure there was a post about this somewhere fairly recently.
    The question is, can you copy the DVD? DVD burners are getting fairly popular these days...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

don't see why not.. it's a perfectly normal DVD except for it dies after 48 hours

you just gotta make sure to rip it before then :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Winters posted about it on Home Entertainment earlier tonight, maybe that's where you saw it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I already have one of those.

I rented Mariah Careys 'Glitter' and not only did the disk decide commit suicide once it realised what it was ..... but it also took my player with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I rented Mariah Careys 'Glitter'

well thats your first problem....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

i hope all of those glitter dvds are set to self destruct.....

what a waste tbh, a one maybe two watch film that u throw away when yer finished with it...great idea...

[edit] ugh i know it says theyre recyclable but u think that would materialise here in Ireland? [/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

Originally posted by Pigman II
    I rented Mariah Careys 'Glitter'
    What were you thinking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭weemcd

theyr'll be ways round it, like living in a room with no oxygen duh!!
    techies will find a way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

Yeah like theres not enough ISP Disks already clogging up the landfill sites.

When the technology comes out,boycott it,send it the way of betamax.

betamacks was actually better than VHS was n't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭patch

Yeah......the Xbox is actually superior to the PS2......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

patch69... lol?

Anyway - iirc, there was something more worrying quite recently about ordinary DVDs which degrade rapidly enough that they become unwatchable within 2 years of manufacture. Id much rather have my DVD collection for longer than that, thanks :)

A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭patch

Originally posted by Asuka
    patch69... lol?

Anyway - iirc, there was something more worrying quite recently about ordinary DVDs which degrade rapidly enough that they become unwatchable within 2 years of manufacture. Id much rather have my DVD collection for longer than that, thanks :)

A

Sorry, sarcasm, Betamax WAS superior, but marketing for vhs killed it. As will no doubt be the case with Xbox. :)

boycott disentigrating disks

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

buy them, rip them and not worry about having to return them. sounds great if you ask me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Coating the top of the disk with an impermiable layer may stop this - reducing agends might also work if they don't bleach the dye.

yeah but for 48 Hours they would want to be CHEAPER than renting a VHS or normal DVD - basically since there is no need to return them it could all be done from a vending machine.

So I can't see employees of video stores supporting this.. It is designed to replace them.

Again it is a matter of price €2 would be good - anything more would be a complete rip off...

Next question - what is the shelf life ? - if you open one after a year (birthday present) will it still last for 48 hours ??

werll if the dye reacts to oxygen then it will be grand so long as it's kept in the package

pretty ****e present though iaf :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

SHRINK WRAP
    http://www.manipuronline.com/Features/March2002/plastic21_1.htm
    ...Specially designed multiply shrinkable bag made from ethylene vinylacetate - vinylacetate vinylidene chloride - Saran (EVA/PVDC-VAC/PVDC-PVC) .... prepackaged under vacuum in shrinkable bags made of oxygen-impermeable materials such as Saran and Polyester.....

WATER SOLUBLE
    http://www.preparedfoods.com/archives/1998/9805/9805cerestar.htm - starch based oxygen impermiable coating

CD Repair products...
    http://www.vcdr.com/CD%20Info.htm - physical make up of CD (DVD) - like trasparent circular labels - if made of the right plastic should be good to the edges..

SPRAYS
    At a guess there are lots of Aersol compounds lacquers / varnishes / wax polishes that might work too - without compromising playability

antioxidants in the box

Advertisement